Skip to main content

Not the hiatus type


What would it take for you to take a hiatus from your blog?

I guess I don't have to ask. I've seen many blog hiatuses during my time at Night Owl Cards. Some bloggers disappear without warning and then suddenly return, but many others announce a hiatus and a reason -- they're having a kid, they're going on a trip, they need to sort things out.

It's probably all very healthy and logical.

But I don't think I'm the hiatus type.

Not as far as blogging goes.

Take my current situation. My mom passed just last month. My dad is not very far behind her. The dedication and driving miles behind this terrible period takes an enormous amount of time. My blogging has been spotty, more spotty than ever. But not once have I considered a hiatus.

In fact, mostly what I think about the blog in a time such as this is: how can squeeze in a post somehow?

I'm not saying this to congratulate myself -- my guess is what I'm doing is somewhat detrimental -- it's just how I am. This is what I want to be doing. Constantly. It's been like that for years. If I went on hiatus, I'd be leaving a significant part of me at the dock. I can't do that.

However, someone who can is Bru from Remember The Astrodome. He's been on hiatus for more than a month and before he took off, he sent a bunch of people some cards. He sent me some cards, even though I think he's sent me three different packages this year alone.

Most of the cards that I needed from the envelope were very recent issues. So let's see those very modern cards.


I'll start with the very latest Bowman card of Clayton Kershaw. Check out that hand overlapping the design. That's always fun.



This is another one of those Cody Bellinger highlights cards from last year. I still need like a dozen of them because it's a stupid 30-card insert set with parallels. This happens to be a parallel, too. Now you know why a bunch of my posts are geared toward vintage.



A trio of Hocus Pocus ... er, Honus Bonus cards from 2017. These game cards never caught on and I can see why. You want me to play cards AND keep track of a fantasy team on some web site? I have a dog to feed.


Ah, one of the many 2018 sets I ignored last year. Here is Julio Urias, who is not taking well to his relief role.



Meanwhile, reliever Caleb Ferguson is in Triple A (check out how vibrant this scan is, makes me not despise foil for a moment or two) and the Dodgers could use him. They could use anybody as could three-quarters of the bullpens in the majors. There is a bullpen crisis in baseball and nobody wants to do anything about it.



Final needed card is from this year's Panini Diamond Kings. As I've said many times, Diamond Kings works -- with legends players. It doesn't really work with current players. But there is also such a thing as going overboard. Due to no logos and the "aging" filter used, Alston looks like he's managing in the 1930s. The photo is probably from the '60s or '70s but, man, it looks ancient.

So, there you are. I managed to get out another post and I'm pretty happy about that.

Maybe someday I'll take an actual hiatus. But, trust me, right now, where I'm at, it's the last thing I want to do.

Comments

Hmm.....You not write, not write about baseball cards.... You'd wind up in an asylum. But, hey I here they let you have pen and paper and maybe a computer too. You'd be back to writing and no longer need the facility.
Old Cards said…
Where's the music cards? :)
Billy Kingsley said…
I don't plan to ever stop writing but I'm having a heck of a time finding the motivation right now. Most of my time is being spent on my scale modeling hobby right now.

I've been keeping Cardboard History going with random scan posts lately, and while they are getting massive amounts of views, there's been very little response.
Sean said…
I tend to go on a hiatus simply when I can't think of anything to write about that I think would be worth reading. So my blog is very stop-start in terms of posting - one month I'll get on a roll with a ton of stuff to write, then I run out and am like "Ooops, ran out of stuff to write about there, gotta go do something else for the next 5 weeks."

Its not a very good way of running a blog.
GCA said…
I feel like a slacker if I miss three or four days in a row - I try to post MWF at least. I have a few series going right now, but strive to put something else between them to spread 'em out a little. Thankfully, I just got some more incoming cardboard, so now I have a couple posts covered. But I can't help but feel there are ideas inspired by past posts and other blogs that I'm forgetting. I should make notes somewhere.

Expression is therapy. If it makes you feel better, or let's you escape for a bit, it's all good. We won't say no.
AdamE said…
My hiatus' are almost all motivational. I question myself, "do I want to battle the scanner today?"; most days the scanner wins.
shoeboxlegends said…
I can't always get to posting as frequently as I'd like to, or give as much time to each post as I'd like to, given some of the life issues you touched on, but I'm with you on the hiatus overall. I'm well into my 12th year now and have never had a single month in that entire time where I didn't post. It'd feel strange to let it drop off like that I think, even for just a few months.
Bulldog said…
You don't what feels right. You'll figure it out. Good post. Good cards. Bad Honus Wagner cards. I've busted a few of those packs over the years from repacks and they really don't do it for me.
Fuji said…
I'll take a break here and there. I skipped this past Monday, because I needed a breather. Since blogging is just as much a hobby for me as collecting... I want to enjoy it. When it becomes a chore... that's usually a sign that I need to go on hiatus.
BaseSetCalling said…
I have little choice about taking a hiatus, because I can be working away from home up to ten months of the year. And sometimes when I am in my hometown, I am out of the house 14+ hours of the day. So it goes in esoteric contracting.

I am always blogging in my head though. And always have a list of posts ready to go. But no scanner, or time.

And I am really glad y’all blog! Thank You!