Skip to main content

A picture is worth a thousand fonts


"A picture is worth a thousand words."

I've always taken offense to that expression.

Sure, it's fine if you're a photographer or a painter, but way to marginalize an entire profession. I make my living with words. I happen to think words are beautiful. A picture can't possibly tell an entire story. But words can.

Anyway, I'm not here to downgrade photographs. In fact, I'm here to praise them. I've heard a little grousing about the font in this year's Stadium Club. Yes, the font ... that thing that people notice for a second on Stadium Club before the photo takes over everything.

The font is incidental to Stadium Club. The only thing it's good for is differentiating between years of Stadium Club. If Stadium Club had an actual design -- borders and graphics, etc. -- then I could see it detracting from the wonderful Stadium Club photos. But it doesn't, and a little ol' font isn't going to prevent me from accumulating those glorious photos. A picture is definitely worth a thousand fonts.

So, I stopped by Target and 2019 Stadium Club was there in full force. It looks glorious as usual. I'll show you the contents of this rack pack here, which was $5.99, so, you know, 50 cents a card.

They better be good.


#91 - Yu Darvish, Cubs

That's what they look like this year. The usual full-bleed action.

I don't mind the font. It looks like Topps went to calligraphy class. Let's call it the "Ye olde font."



#50 - Mike Foltynewicz, Braves



#196 - Travis Shaw, Brewers

I seem to pull the last two players out of every pack.



#34 - Trevor Bauer, Indians

Twitter's favorite player.

OK, so the pack's not very exciting so far. This is the corner Stadium Club paints itself into. With so much action photography, it kind of blends together. We're waiting for something a little more interesting.

Hang on.



#116 - Walker Buehler, Dodgers

There we go!!!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaahhhh!!!!!!

Let's look at the back:


The back continues the rustic, olden days theme of the front font. Long, wooden tables in a darkened lodge. Moose heads hanging on the wall and swarthy men and women knocking back grog.



#290 - Stan Musial, Cardinals

I. Love. It.

Why are we buying any other kind of cards when stuff like this is in Stadium Club?



#256 - Roger Maris, Yankees

The largest bat barrel on a card ever.



#286 - Todd Helton, Rockies, red parallel

The tradition continues of me pulling parallels from teams that I can't possibly trade: Rockies, Marlins, Nationals, Angels, Rays, Mariners, etc.



#WS-15 - Byron Buxton, Twins, Warp Speed insert

I love the title for this insert. It should have been an insert title a long time ago. (Has it? I'm not well-versed in '90s Stadium Club inserts).


#170 - Jose Altuve, Astros



#238 - Steven Duggar, Giants

How about that? Eleven whole cards before I saw the rookie card logo. That has to be a modern-day record.



#138 - Miguel Cabrera, Tigers

Phenomenal. And like only my fourth favorite card in the pack.

I also bought a blaster of the stuff but I have no time to scan it all now.


I'll show it tomorrow, if I see anything interesting, and chances are I will.

Stadium Club has done it again.

And it's because of the photos.

Not some lousy words.

Or fonts.

And this is a writer saying this.

Comments

Nick said…
I agree 100 percent with you on the font thing. I've never once collected (or not collected) a baseball card because of the font -- if the photos are good enough, it drowns everything else out. That Musial is an early nominee for the best card I've seen from Stadium Club thus far (though I have yet to pick any up for myself).
Nachos Grande said…
I definitely want to buy Stadium Club but it's too darn expensive for my blood.
I like the font this year. for those who don't like it....why did they buy it, the font is ON the packaging packs and boxes.
Big League said…
The font is fine with me.
ketchupman36 said…
The font is fine sure, but the thing I can't shake is that the photos appear to have some sort of darkened effect to them. I feel like I might be seeing things but I swear some filter has been applied to the photos.
Zippy Zappy said…
Spoilers: He pulled a Kershaw
Billy Kingsley said…
I like the font. It's classy looking. Warp Speed was an insert in the 1995-96 NBA set- although a totally different design. (it actually had two, neither of which match this...Series 1 and 2 got different designs) A quick check of the Trading Card Database shows me that it didn't appear in any Stadium Club baseball sets until 2019- although I did not take the time to check any other brands.
Matt said…
I just bought my first pack of Stadium Club yesterday. I pulled a Clayton Kershaw and immediately thought about you and what your thoughts would be on it (It's magnificent).
Defenders50 said…
Actually, I was worried about the font bringing it down a little, but it actually looks better in foil than in those mock-ups they had with just white lettering.
And from what I've seen from the photos in the set so far, it blows almost everything else out there out of the water.
Fuji said…
I'm glad they didn't include the large "team" and "position" lettering from last year. It took away from the photography a little. I told myself I'd avoid retail, but I have a feeling I'll be kicking myself if I don't open at least one blaster of this product.
GCA said…
I'm probably gonna dive in to these again too. The best thing about new cards is pictures we've never seen. I'll pay a little extra for that.

The inserts are a pain, though. One quirk - the Warp Speeds remind me of the Untouch Ables from flagship a little while ago. They are technically Warp Speed Speed, since it's on there twice.