Skip to main content

Maybe Topps should change its flagship release date

There are no card pictures with this post because I did not get any cards today.

It's release day for 2019 Topps flagship, a notable day on the calendar for any collector, no matter how cynical. If you're going to get any cards, this is the day to do it -- at least that's what some people say.

"Release day" around here doesn't mean the same thing it does in a great big city like Topps' hometown of NYC. The chances of flagship showing up at the few choice stores around here on the first day of release are less than 50 percent. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

However, I don't know whether my stores have the cards or not. I didn't bother to check.

The main reason? There was a blizzard warning.

There is no way I'm traveling a few miles down the road, even if it is the most traveled road in the county, to get to a Target or Walmart to look for cards in the middle of a blizzard.

So far, I haven't seen any blizzard. But the wind is fierce. And the roads are questionable. And there's blowing and drifting, a scary scenario to anyone who lives somewhere where "blowing and drifting" is uttered frequently. 2019 flagship can wait.

And it may have to wait until the next day and maybe the day after that. Who knows when the roads are back to normal?

I'm not the only one dealing with weather issues right now. It's frigid all across the upper Midwest, crazy, record, below-zero temps, and it's going to be single-digits to below zero in a lot of places in the Northeast. And it's not just the north either. The forecast for many places in the south has been snow and ice and slippery conditions.

I've heard the phrase "polar vortex" more times than I want to in the last couple of days. But this is what that looks like:


That's a lot of the country swathed in purple.

That's a lot of people staying the hell inside.

And into this Topps drops its release date.

This isn't the first time I've dealt with weather when Topps released its debut for the year. I've come up against all kinds of frigid issues. Sometimes I've braved it for cards, other times I haven't. But I've had to deal with the aggravation regularly because for at least as long as I've been running this blog, Topps has released its flagship set in late January or early February.

The weather where I live is absolute crap in late January and early February. I can think of several epic snow storms or other winter-related weather events and a shocking number have occurred right around the Super Bowl. (There is one Super Bowl I worked in which I had to put out the entire Super Bowl sports section by myself because no one else could get out of their house to come to work). Winter is probably at its worst at this very point in the season.

Maybe Topps should think about releasing flagship another time?

I know this probably isn't a realistic question. Topps has a business model to consider, money to make, it picks the time that is most profitable for them. But how profitable is flagship today when a number of collectors have to shovel two feet of snow out of their driveway or bundle in seven layers just to buy some cards?

Yes, half the country had no problem venturing to a store today. But that's not the whole country is it?

Back when I was collecting as a kid, I remember cards not being available for purchase until March. That's when you went out to the store to get cards. It's March! Time to get the new cards! And we didn't have to bundle up to do it.

Granted, that was long ago and Topps had one brand then and not 26 or however much it is. And Topps just needs to make sure the cases are delivered to dealers and not worry about us collecting peons. But speaking from my little tiny owl standpoint, I'd gladly wait until later in February or even March to buy the latest in flagship if it meant being able to see out the windshield in front of me.

Also, here's a thought: if the release date was later, we wouldn't have to pull cards of Paul Goldschmidt as a Diamondback or Billy Hamilton being a Red. Because Topps could get them with their current teams -- long before Series 2, or freaking Update in the freaking fall.

So, that's a little rant -- with no cards -- about wanting a change that will probably never happen ever.

But that's OK. Series 1 of 2019 flagship will still be on the shelves when it's 85 degrees and I don't care anymore. And that thought makes me sit back, inside, all warm and toasty with my hot chocolate, and appreciate that I don't have any 2019 flagship right this very moment.

You can wait 2019 flagship. Even on release date.

Comments

Preach! I couldn't agree more that they should delay release by a bit. Thank you for expressing how I feel too.
Nachos Grande said…
It's too cold to go outside for much of anything, let along baseball cards. I agree with you, move the release date back (and if you are going to try and kill of hobby stores, make sure the big box stores get the product out on the shelves on release day).
Alan Deakins said…
-I agree with you...I still haven't finished going through the box of 2018 Topps Update I got in October....went to a nice card show this past weekend...blew my budget on 1955 Bowman...Series 2 doesnt come out to June....I guess Topps wants the 6 month turnaround for the base sets....doesnt make sense to me from a business stand point
Brett Alan said…
Good point about the coldest often coming around the Super Bowl. The coldest weather I ever experienced was in Chicago the weekend of the Super Bowl in 1985. I was in college, and it was so cold that when I walked from my dorm to the radio station--less than a third of a mile--I couldn't see by the time I got there, because of the ice on my glasses. Most of that weekend the only people who went out were pizza delivery guys, because everyone on campus watched the game and ordered pizza.

Happily, right now I'm in a place where the low for tonight will be 78.
Jeremya1um said…
Heck, I’m in Florida, and it’s still too cold to go outside. I guess since I’m at work anyways and there is a Target across the street, I’ll check to see if they have some. Hope the weather gets better for you.
Mark Hoyle said…
We have some rough winters in New England but you guys have been really getting hammered the past few years
P-town Tom said…
I was out yesterday getting my oil changed in the sub-zero temps. (A teacher/coach must take advantage of the time given!) I stopped by the big box store on the way home and the store was void of 2019 product. I did find S1, S2 and Update from 2018 on the shelves though! There wasn't much S1 left, but it was there for the purchasing if you wanted it. So yeah, I don't think you're going to have any problem if you wait a little bit!
Billy Kingsley said…
If you think that's bad, press pass had been issuing the single series flagship for NASCAR before Christmas the year before.
Doc said…
I've been saying this for years. Series 1 is way too early. Rosters aren't set, plenty of free agents still, and Spring Training hasn't even started. On top of that, we know rosters can change with last minute deals, and no checklist will ever be perfect, but there's no reason to be putting people like Harper and Machado in Series 1. Now those guys will have cards with their old teams in S1 and have to have updates in S2 or Update. It's dumb. Series 1 should take the place of Opening Day and be released mid-Spring Training to get people in the baseball mood again. Opening Day and something like Big League should be mushed together and be super cheap and "for the kids" and at every checkout register on the planet at the end of March.
JediJeff said…
Pictures and catchers report / Topps releases series 1.

It's not that hard, Topps.
AdamE said…
I have a friend who was in Minnesota for work and comes home today. -25 there yesterday 75 here today. A 100 degree swing is crazy.

The weather got me thinking of when the Super Bowl was in Detroit and how much backlash the media gave the NFL over the cold weather. That year was nothing compared to this. I had to look up what year that was because I couldn't remember, didn't seem that long ago. Turns out it was 2006. Man how 13 years can fly by.
EbeSPN said…
I am very torn about guys in the wrong uniform, so Steve Pearce was World Series MVP, but did not have a Red Sox flagship card in 2018, only Topps Now, he was a free agent but re-signed with the Red Sox, if he had signed elsewhere, it would suck to not have him as a Red Sox.

At the same time, every time they have to do 2 cards for a guy in a year someone else doesn't even get one, especially if they are a backup catcher or in the bullpen. But with teams using 50 players a season and no Upper Deck, we would need like Series 5 or 6 to cover everyone. As someone in Wisconsin, I can't even get the cards I bought on ebay due to the Post Office shutting down with -25 actual temps. Some how it is suppose to be in the 40s next week so I will hibernate until then before getting Series 1.
Fuji said…
I can't even begin to comprehend these freezing temperatures. I enjoy cold weather, but anything below freezing is a bit too much for me. I hope everyone in the purple zone is safe. Topps flagship can wait. Staying warm is much more important.

I myself have never gotten excited about "release day". If I like the design, I'll end up buying a completed set and if I really, really like it... I'll go out and grab a blaster.
Michael Ott said…
What's the hurry to pick up cards of players in the wrong uniforms? Are they shinier on release day?
If I get the urge to look at 2018 stat lines in minuscule illegible type, I can readily do so on my phone.

Luckily I don't care, but current-year baseball cards probably won't start appearing in Canadian Walmart stores until after hockey season, so June. Right before the annual unbearable heat wave (polar anti-vortex?)
Year after year, Topps excites me with their Series 1 set at first, probably because nothing's been released at the retail stores for a while now. There's something about the new product that makes me feel the need to run down to my local Target for a set that I'll see on their shelves all year long.
SumoMenkoMan said…
We won't even get Series 1 until March here overseas. Meanwhile, stay warm and enjoy the hot chocolate...there better be some Baileys in there.
sg488 said…
No matter when Topps releases I always wait till March to make my first purchase. Start of spring training and the prices go down a little by March.