Monday, November 15, 2010
Awesomest night card, round 1, part 9
I am genuinely surprised that this card blew away the rest of the field in the most recent round of the Awesomest Night Card Tournament.
Have I been so successful in making all of you Yankee haters that a Reggie night card can't even muster more than 12 percent of the vote? Or have all the Yankee fans gotten sick of my too frequent yet totally accurate rants and left for more pleasant sites?
Whatever. The Jackson World Series night card was crushed by the Joe Rudi-Ron Cey night card. Here is the beatdown in number form:
1. 1975 Topps, Game 5 of 1974 World Series: 29 votes
2. 1978 Topps, 1977 World Series Reggie Jackson: 6 votes
3. 2004 Topps, Albert Pujols: 5 votes
4. 2009 Upper Deck OPC Chris Ray: 5 votes
5. 1991 Score Mark Leiter: 2 votes
OK, so it's on to part 9.
The candidates for this one are fairly boring. It'll be interesting to see who wins here, although I don't think the winner will stand a chance in later rounds.
Here we go:
1. 1995 Upper Deck Minor Aaron Boone: This was the young and innocent Boone. Before he went on to commit an evil act back in 2003. And, yes, I'm talking about allowing the Dodgers to be able to hire Grady Little.
2. 1990 Upper Deck Bob Welch: Out of the long-ago TTM tries that are still floating around out there, I'm the most pessimistic about this one. That sucks. I wrote him a very flattering letter, too.
3. 2009 Upper Deck Joaquin Benoit: Joaquin, whoever you are, you have no chance.
4. 2009 Topps Kevin Youkilis: Youkilis is one of those guys who is tough to picture as a kid. I'm pretty sure as a 9-year-old he was bald and had a goatee. Someone get me his class picture from 4th grade.
5. 2009 Topps Justin Verlander: You've got to like 2009 Topps.
6. 2007 Upper Deck Ronnie Belliard: The former Dodger. Nifty photo.
That's the assortment this week. I don't even know who I would vote for this time. But don't let my indecision sway you. Head on over to the sidebar and vote!