Skip to main content

Let's try this again

My last card show experience was a mess. I wasn't prepared. I never made it to the show. I beat myself up over not going. It was not pleasant.

There is another show in Syracuse this weekend. And since it has been six months since my last show, I am more than ready. You want lists? Oh, I have lists. I know the places to be and the people to see.

The only thing that might throw things off is they've biggie-sized the show. This used to be a Sunday-only show. It is now a Saturday/Sunday show, and they've bumped up the admission a dollar. I'm still going Sunday because I have to work Saturday. My irrational fear is all the good stuff will be gone by Sunday. But this is a card show, not a garage sale. And I'm not picky either, so I'll ignore that voice in my head.

What's bizarre is the number of people they have signing autographs. Usually there is one or two. By my count there are eight this weekend. On Saturday, Jim Lonborg is going to be there. I love the card that is at the top of the post. Nothing like getting the American flag and a gin ad in the same shot.

Joining Lonborg on Saturday is former pitcher Jack Fisher, who played for the Orioles and Mets among other teams, and lost 24 games for the Mets in 1965.

On Sunday, the day I'm going "The Count" John Montefusco is supposed to be there. Montefusco played his entire career for teams I dislike. He started with the Giants and ended with the Yankees. Ugh. In between there he played for the Padres and Braves, two more of my non-favorites. And he spent a couple years in jail. Wow. Who stands in line for that guy?

Hector Lopez, who played in the '50s and '60s (I have a '56 card of him on the A's) is also on the list, as is former Bills kicker Scott Norwood. In the promo sheet, it says "Mr. Norwood will not sign 'Wide Right' on any items." I love it. Who asks him to do that? Yeah, yeah, I know, autograph hunting brings out the worst in some.

If that's not enough, members of the '70s sitcom "Three's Company" will be there signing autographs. I'm not getting autographs from any of the players. I need to budget my money, and all the sports figures are charging $10-$15 per autograph. But I see no fee for the "Three's Company" crowd.

I had a thing for Joyce DeWitt back then. I was 14 when she changed her hairstyle from that frizz-do and started wearing a gallon of black eyeliner. It doesn't take a lot to turn a 14-year-old's head.

So I could be tempted.

But on to what you really want to know about (or don't want to know about): what cards I plan to get. It's basically the same plan as the last show, since I was sidelined by a snowstorm last time. So if you want the short version, go there. But I've brought pictures this time, so this might be more fun.

Vintage: First stop might be 1976 Topps. I could probably finish off the whole set Sunday if I wanted to spend my cash in one place. I'm not far from the complete set and the list of upgrades isn't too long. I must, MUST upgrade my Dodgers team card. It's the only Dodger that hasn't been upgraded.

Also on the list, as it's been for a long time, is 1971 Topps. I guarantee I will be picking up at least a couple high numbers cards from this set, since I always make sure I do each time I hit a card show. I could go nuts and get the Munson or Aaron card, but what's the fun of going to the show for one card?

I plan to take a peak at the '72s as well, maybe pick up some high numbers from that monster. Further down on the list are upgrading two sets that are complete -- 1974 and 1975 Topps. If I find that impossible-to-find-in-decent-shape Reds team card from '75, that will be mine.

Also on the upgrade list are some early 1970s Dodgers, including Willie Crawford here:

It's not in awful shape, although not as ideal as the rest of my Dodgers from the set. But the reason I want to improve it is the back.

Someone crossed out the cartoon. A Bob Gibson fan, I'm guessing. If I do upgrade it, I'll be keeping this card.

Always a possibility at a card show are Dodgers from the '60s. I need a handful to finish off 1967 and 1968. And I could add to the 1965 and 1966 Dodgers sets that some bloggers have helped me build.

Or I could go even earlier into the '60s, which is always fun, and get some '61, '62, '63 or '64 Dodgers. I always seem to find good deals on Dodgers from this period.

Or I could blow the whole vintage cash stash on 1956 Topps. One day I will go to a card show just for '56 Topps cards. That will be a glorious afternoon.

Last in the vintage category is poor 1977 Topps. I ignore this set every time. The 300-plus cards I have from this set are in terrible shape. I'll probably ignore it again. But the least I could do is get a Bobby Tolan card with a decent bottom edge. He deserves that.

OK, that's it for vintage.

Modern: On to the shiny stuff. I don't have a lot of modern wants. I could grab some 2009 Heritage, which is always good for trades. I definitely need to find some 2008 Heritage. Someone must be bringing that to the show for the poor suckers who haven't completed it yet.

And I could get the last of the '08 Stadium Club cards I need. All the divisible-by-three cards. But I've written my SC wants down in code. Because if that thing falls into the wrong hands, I'll find myself in a windowless room with some menacing dealer throwing 964 Stadium Club variations at me.

So I'll probably try something more peaceful and get the last couple of 2008 Dodgers A&G minis that I need.

That's really it for the modern stuff, unless I decide to finish off the 2009 Topps Series I set.

In between: Don't know if I'll find these, since card shows cater to either vintage, modern, high-end, or boxes, but I need to upgrade a few 1983 Topps. Don't tell me 1983 is vintage. I don't want to hear it.

Also, I pulled this Alex Cintron card out of a repack box the other day. It's one of the few 2006 Topps Updates & Highlights cards that I need to complete the set. I have about a dozen to go. So if I find someone with that stuff I'll probably finish that off.

As you can see, there is a lot in front of me. Plus, a lot of bloggers have found cool stuff just digging through the commons and junk relics bins. I'll give that a try, too.

Needless to say, I can't wait.

Oh, and did I mention, "The Batmobile" is going to be there, too? (I don't know if it's the original one). I feel sensory-overload coming on.

Comments

Captain Canuck said…
I am SO jealous. I would love to be able to go to a show with all of these lists and have the very good probability to finish them off. (cash withstanding.) What it must be like to go to a show and be able to say... I'm going to finish my '56 Topps today.
Take your time my friend. Browse, and if possible, take pictures so I can vicariously live through you.
If I was going I would head for the Joyce Dewitt table first. Then I would look for things on my want list.
Johngy said…
Hey, if you meet any of the celebs or players, get a pic for me to post on my site. I am always looking for others, so it isn't always my mug with the celebs!
Have fun.
Matt Runyon said…
I prefer Janet over Chrissy, Mary Ann over Ginger, and vintage cards over modern cards. I guess I'm old. :)
dayf said…
Montefusco spent two years in jail waiting for TRIAL?? Man, that sucks. So much for the right to a speedy trial.

Don't go out of your way to find it, but if you happen to see a cheap 1983 Topps Cal Ripken Jr. I'll make it worth your while. That's the last card I need for the '83 Topps set.
Anonymous said…
Come and knock on our door...

Verification word: Ovened
Great verb, if I do say so myself.
MMayes said…
I liked Janet moreso than Chrissy when I was a teen, but when Chrissy left, I kind of went for her replacement. Just don't tell me they had the Ropers there.

My local mall had a card show this past weekend. It sucked. I went with the idea of getting the last 12 high numbers to kill off 1972 and didn't find a single dealer that had 1972 highs (except for one that had his price guide next to his card box.....no thanks). I picked up a few 1970's, but there just wasn't any good vintage cards to look at.