Skip to main content

Back to the morgue

 
Earlier this year, I wrote a post about some clippings I found in our newspaper morgue that pertained to baseball cards.
 
I featured only one of the clips because it came with half-tones of two old baseball cards, the 1975 Topps Bert Blyleven and the 1976 Topps Pete Rose.
 
But the envelope was filled with other clippings related to baseball cards. So I pulled a few of them that I thought were interesting to show here.
 
The most interesting one to me is from 1970 (that's why there's a 1970 card here).
 

You can see this is from the New York Times and I was greatly amused by this because it reads like the new-fangled thing that kids like to do is -- gasp -- collect full sets!!!

"A Willie Mays is no more valuable than say, an Ed Spiezio to these kids."

I guess this article is talking about me! I'm the "new sophistication"! But it's certainly not talking about most of the collectors I come across today or probably for the past 35 years or more.

I also enjoy reading Sy Berger's quotes where he laments not being able to pull the wool over collectors' eyes by reusing old photos because the youngsters know the ballplayers' "mod" haircuts!



Moving on to 1973 and another wacky new hobby invention, the card convention.



This focuses on a card convention in Detroit, which had been going on for four years.

Per usual in these past clippings, the writer is always looking to hammer home that collecting has suddenly become big business, this seems to be an annual shocker for newspaper writers.

"There are thousands of collectors who think nothing of stashing away 100,000 baseball cards."

Uh, yeah.

I think this writer would have a heart attack if he saw my card room. Also, I almost had a heart attack when I read the sentence about the Honus Wagner card being valued at $1,500.

Oh yes, and shady characters were stealing cards in 1973. You criminals in 2024 are doing nothing new.



It's 1980 now, which means articles about the lawsuit against Topps. I found lots of those in that envelope.



This is a straightforward news story. I think this story played out through various updates all through 1980 but I was completely oblivious to it. I think I had some inkling heading into 1981 that there would be new cards besides Topps but I can't remember how I found that out. Perhaps I read it in The Sporting News.




You could not be a baseball fan in the late 1970s and early 1980s without seeing Pete Rose everywhere. Heck, you didn't even have to be a baseball fan with the Aqua Velva commercials showing up on prime-time television.
 
He also appeared in commercials for Zenith TV, Kool-Aid, Tegrin shampoo, Swanson's Hungry Man meals, Nestle's Crunch, Encyclopedia Britannica, Grecian-Formula, Atari, no wonder the guy annoyed me.



This article starts with Pete Rose and mentions his 1963 rookie card selling for "$100 to $120," oh, I wish it still was. Then it quotes a Mark Lewis who publishes "Card Prices Update" -- the '80s were full of Card Prices books, who says he is so confident that Rose's rookie card will quadruple in the next 10 years, he will "write this in blood." But he was right.

But then the article goes into more people getting into the hobby and using cards as investments during a time of recession. This was around the time when people first started getting into the hobby to make money. It was much more prevalent later in the '80s but it started probably around 1980, 81, 82, maybe earlier.
 
 

 Just one more, from 1983, showing what started to happen when adults saw value in baseball cards.



This is from a Syracuse paper and it's about a guy with 11 kids who quit his banking job to become a baseball card dealer.

It gives a good look at those early days of people become full-time card dealers and what that looked like in 1983 -- i.e., $17 complete sets, which is about how much I remember those first complete Topps sets going for (I believe my brother bought a complete 1978 Topps set for $12 or $13).

So there's just a little look at our hobby past.

It's nice to have these clips and know where to find them. In these days of A.I. online, it's getting a little more difficult to find what you're looking for when it comes to history ... and that's why I find newspapers so valuable still.

Too bad other people don't.

Comments

Call me nuts, but I feel $17.00 should be what a full card set should go for today. Yep, call me a cheapskate I'm good with it.
POISON75 said…
Richard still makes the circuits in Detroit still
Old Cards said…
Nice capsule of baseball card history. The newspaper articles in retrospect are fun to see. A friend of mine in the 80's built an addition to his house solely to support his baseball card business. I'm 100% with Johnny on what a full card set should cost.
Anonymous said…
I used an online inflation calculator, and $17 in 1983 money is $53.41 today... surprisingly not much less than a factory set. Huh.
Crocodile said…
It's funny how that article from 1970 mentions how 'sophisticated' collectors were or how a 'new breed of collectors' would open their own shops. Boy, if collectors from 1970 only knew what would happen to the hobby 50 years from then.
bryan was here said…
What a neat history lesson! I can still remember the first couple years I was collecting, in the early 80s and seeing articles about card collecting in the local papers. I was even quoted in an article about a card show in 1983.
John Bateman said…
I think I remember the Hobbyist Mark Lewis 1980s- Then a few years later there was a Mark Lewis that appeared on the draft pick cards of Topps and Score (I think)
Bo said…
These are terrific - thanks for sharing.

I've read that charging more for stars than commons didn't become widespread until the late '70s.

That Wagner tripled in price in three years - $500 in 1970, $1,500 in 1973. It's worth a bit more now.

What's the 1975 card in the photo of Phil Cole?
night owl said…
I think there's more than one. John Vukovich is one, maybe Chuck Dobson also?
Grant said…
Interesting stuff, thank you for posting it, N.O.

Was this someone's job before digital storage? To cut and file newspaper clippings each day to specific subjects and then store away in a newspapers' archives?
night owl said…
Yes, newspapers have (or had) staff librarians and they clipped every article and store them in envelopes by story subject. You should see the file cabinets we still have.
Fuji said…
A. Wonder if Mr. Cole or any of his 11 kids are still in the hobby.

B. My friend's mom still gets the newspaper. It's been a little over a month since I looked at the Mercury News. But the last time I did, I was shocked (and saddened) that it was about 1/10th the size it was in the 90's.
carlsonjok said…
I'm with Fuji. I have to wonder how long Mr. Cole stayed in the card seller business with that many mouths to feed.
Nick said…
I'd really like someone to write a book on the history of card shows. I'm particularly fascinated by those early ones in the '70s where it was a small, tight-knit group of collectors, way back before everything boomed.