Skip to main content

The road to 500

 
Like I mentioned a couple of week ago, the 1975 Topps buyback game has reached a new level since 2024 Heritage came out.

What has been mostly a down-low pursuit, in which I have been grabbing buybacks here and there for the last seven years sometimes at a rate of a handful per year, is now like chasing buybacks on speed.

New '75 buybacks, buybacks that I need -- not the same damn Bobby Heise buyback over and over -- are up for sale all over ebay. And I've been on that stupid site at a rate the last few weeks that I haven't been on since before the blog had begun.

I don't like being on ebay that much, especially when it comes to bidding. I already have a low impression of humanity without having to go through that. But for chasing down more buybacks from my favorite set of all-time? Sure, I'll wallow.

Before Heritage came out, I owned 481 of the 660 cards in the set in buyback form. I knew that with what I saw available, I could get to 500 pretty quickly. So join me now on the road to 500 or 75.75757576% of the set with a buyback stamp defacing the card.

First, to set the scene, the first buyback I purchased from Heritage was the Chris Chambliss card up top. That's a pretty good get based on what I have been able to acquire since I started this. So that sparked me on what could be possible.

Let's continue.


482nd buyback. Another pretty notable one. Yankees are always tough and his DH reputation always commands a few extra cents.



483rd buyback. One of the mind-boggling aspects of this chase is what cards I had never seen buybacks before -- so-called run-of-the-mill players like Vicente Romo. This recent binge has taken care of that to some extent.



484th buyback. Another Dodger off the buyback list is a great thing. Also, note that Topps is avoiding stamping over the picture (or a player's head), like in past buyback editions, by placing it over the baseball in the lower right corner.



485th buyback. Another player who had puzzled me by how he had been able to avoid the buyback stamp.



486th buyback. I had assumed Swisher was a toughie because his son was playing Major League ball. But that's no longer the case.



487th buyback. These are in order of their arrival not in order by how I purchased them, FYI. That will be important later.



488th buyback.



489th buyback. What took you so long, Murph?



490th buyback. Super-pleased about this one. It was an early win and I've noticed high prices on some of the cult heroes of the '70s such as Bake.



491st buyback. Another early win and another key one.



492nd buyback.



493rd buyback. This arrived very quickly and in my frantic state of waiting, such a seller talent became very important.



494th buyback. I remember one particularly painful loss and then seeking out this card as a BIN just to take the hurt away. I may have paid a little too much.



495th buyback.




496th buyback.



497th buyback. This card actually arrived earlier, when the Reggie Cleveland card arrived as I got them from the same seller. But I didn't realize until days later that the Lemancyzk was stuffed behind Cleveland in the same top-loader. Good thing I don't care about condition on these.



498th buyback. Woooo! Super key one. One of my most favorite cards in the set.

Notice that the buyback stamp for horizontal cards is in the lower left corner. That isn't cool for team cards as the stamp lands squarely on the manager's inset photo.



499th buyback. This arrived today.

Notice, though, that I haven't shown the Chambliss card in the count up.

Even though that's the first Heritage buyback I bought, I waited and waited and waited for it. I had pretty much chalked it up to likely being lost in the mail, but I had not contacted the seller or anything yet.

Good thing. Because also today -- 


500th buyback.

It finally arrived. It just wanted its moment.
 


Chambliss was the only buyback card that showed up with extras (always appreciate extras). I think I have each of these four already, but keep doing that, sellers.
 
My trip through the world of Heritage buybacks has opened my eyes into how insanely inflated the prices are on a lot of these things. There were plenty of times where I though, "wooo, glad I got that one a long time ago! And glad I got that one a long time ago, too! And, yikes! Why is that selling for that!"
 
Then there are the cards I don't have yet. I saw the George Foster stamped card selling for $97.00. I saw a checklist selling for $100!!!
 
And forget about this one (at least for now):
 
 
The MVP cards go for prices I don't want to pay. Unlike the earlier buybacks, there are a number of star buyback cards (though I've seen Brett only once and Yount and Ryan not at all), and they're all pricey -- much pricier than a regular unstamped '75 card of the player.

So I've halted my chase in the meantime because I'm going to have to figure out soon what I want to do once the "easy" cards are all gone. But I mostly halted because I need to go back to other pursuits that don't involve defacing cards. 
 
Still, there are a few more buybacks on the way from the latest binge and when they're all here, I will have reached 77 percent.

I have wanted to add all these recent cards to the buyback portion of my '75 Topps binder for weeks. Now that this post is out, I can.

Comments

I'll confess to being confused. Are the '75 buybacks the same as the 2024 Heritage buybacks?
night owl said…
Yes. Same thing. The buybacks in 2024 Heritage are 1975 Topps cards, noted on each with a buyback stamp.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

Can you get buyback inserts in 7 pack blasters or only in the hobby box like you bought?

Thanks
kcjays said…
Congratulations on adding to your collection!
I’m happy you reached the 500 card mark.
I hope you don’t need any Cleveland Indian cards. According to the Forum on TCDb, they were not part of the 2024 buyback inserts.
I just shake my head in disbelief over some decisions like that.
night owl said…
1984 Tigers ~

As far as I know, they're just in hobby boxes. They serve as the "box-toppers" in each hobby box.

kcjays ~

I'm aware. That means no Oscar Gamble or Frank Robinson for me (not that I'd be able to afford either). But I have plenty of the Indians already from the previous buyback runs in 2014-16.
How ya feeling about the 2024 Heritage mini's?
night owl said…
I feel nothing.
Michael D said…
I wasn't even sure what the buybacks were because I've never seen them. I see how the stars like Brett, Yount and Aaron could be pretty pricey. Great job getting to 500 and good luck on the last 160.
Old Cards said…
I have the same view of humanity that you do when it comes to ebay auctions.
AdamE said…
I know at 55.00 I overpaid for the Virdon I was just afraid I would never see another one.

Side note, I was curious and looked: the only Rice RC Buyback that has sold was 165.00 and there hasn't been a Lynn RC Buyback listed at all yet. (a bunch of reprint auto ones have sold for about 75 though)
night owl said…
I saw a Lynn buyback but it was autographed and going for major bucks.
Grant said…
Man, I have a Tony O buyback that's not from 2024 Heritage. I'm a Twins fan though so we'd have to work out some kind of trade if you'd ever be interested in it.
night owl said…
I would be interested!
Fuji said…
I was thinking it would be cool to build a buyback version of the World Series subset... but after seeing NL Championship card... I'll pass. This post did motivate me to make a few offers on some vintage A's buybacks on COMC though.
Derek said…
I keep wavering on how I feel about Buybacks. I keep buying them, bit I think I drew the line when I saw a 1991-92 Pro Set hockey one that I need. A lot of money for essentially a worthless card that now had a red stamp. But congrats on 500, I can appreciate what you're doing - you're much more serious of a collector than I am!
Jafronius said…
Belated congrats on reaching 500!