Skip to main content

Right on time

 
There has to be a name for the experience of intending to send a package of cards to someone, packing up the cards, forgetting to mail off the cards for months, then finally sending the cards with a note of apology, both for forgetting and taking so long.

There has to be a name because I've done it and you've done it. We've all done it multiple times. We need to stop doing it, stop the apologizing. Here's why:

You're busy. I'm busy. I'm so busy that I don't remember that you told me you were going to send me cards. When was that? Months ago? Hell, last year? I don't remember that! Who are you again? Sorry, I don't mean to be rude. I'm just busy. And forgetful. And old. I collect cards and write a blog, I believe that's the definition of being old.

So no apology needed. In fact, whenever the cards arrive, that's the perfect time. That's when they were meant to arrive. I'm happy they showed up now, rather than months ago when they would be old news, a forgotten blog post buried under months and months of newer, fresher posts with dumb thoughts that have removed any remembrance of cards sent months ago from my brain.
 
For example, some cards from reader Bryan arrived last week, with an apologetic note and, given what I just wrote above, you can appreciate that I read the note and thought -- "well, awesome, but I don't know who you are."
 
I searched through my emails and I found it. Last December Bryan contacted me and said he'd like to send some cards as thanks for the blog. And then the guilt came. But it shouldn't have! I'm very busy!

This is Responsibilities May, there's stupid adult stuff going off every day this month, so cards arriving this month are especially appreciated. In fact, they were right on time.


I will take Mookie cards whenever they arrive. In fact it's better that they show up when he's lighting up the scoreboard than in the middle of the cold, dark offseason. Four years into his Dodgers career, Betts is nearing the top 15 in terms of players with the most cards in my collection. As he should be. You're not a certified success until you have more cards in my collection than Kevin Brown.



Likewise, I will welcome needed Clayton Kershaw cards any day of the week, any month of the year, whenever they damn feel like showing up at the house.



Recently departed (from the team) Dodgers are also welcome. In keeping with the post theme, I pretty much had forgotten that A.J. Pollock played for the Dodgers until seeing this card.



Non-licensed cards from Albert Pujols' brief Dodgers stay are very welcome whenever you want to send them. Totally up to you, I'll take them on a Sunday in May or the day after Thanksgiving or during 31-days-in-hell March.



Cards of Brooklyns are especially welcome (that Robinson Gallery card is an SP!). Bring them to me at YOUR CONVENIENCE!
 




I will also greet enthusiastically Dodgers minis, top Dodgers prospects that I don't know where they're going to play, and the right kind of Braves cards. Doesn't matter what day.



Finally, there is no season for the best time for vintage Bills or Bills from the glory teams to show up. You got 'em and I'll take 'em no matter how long it takes for you to send 'em.

Sometimes we -- and especially me -- get caught up on when cards arrive, whether they show up late or early and then we carefully note it in our ebay feedback as if it means something. But I need to work on my attitude there. As long as the cards show up that's all that matters right?

Thanks for the cards, Bryan. And for reading.

Comments

Doc Samson said…
Quite a haul, Mr. Owl. Well done. Love that Buffalo Braves card. Brings back memories.
Matt said…
Great package from Bryan!
I get behind sometimes and can't always. Log on time either. Life comes before blogging but there will always be a time that thank you post will arrive
Fuji said…
I am looking forward to a time in life when things are not busy... and a large percentage of my free time can be dedicated to cards. Just not sure when or if that will ever happen. But a guy can wish.
1984 Tigers said…
Mid 70s was a pretty good time for Buffalo sports. Braves had Bob McAdoo and Ernie D. Sabres made the Cup Finals. Bills had OJ and some other good players. Not sure how good the minor league baseball team was. Probably setting some snowfall records too.

Meanwhile in Detroit the only team making the playoffs were the Pistons with two HOFs in Bob Lanier and Dave Bing.
Jon said…
I've gotten really bad in recent years about saying that I'm gonna do something, then forgetting, or at the very least taking way longer than I implied to get around to it. It may not be necessary, but I still prefer to apologize to whoever for taking so long to do the thing that I said I was gonna do; and didn't.