Skip to main content

Watching the Heritage roll into the station

 
I've written some posts about other card topics, but really this week has been all about 2024 Heritage in these parts.

Thanks to three separate arrivals -- all this week -- and the promise of more from someone else, plus another someone sending me two hanger packs in the mail, I've officially given up on thoughts of grabbing another hobby box. (If the hobby boxes produced a few more of the SP cards, I'd still consider it).
 
All I've had to do this week is watch the Heritage envelopes roll into the station. It's very useful, this blog, especially during times like this when responsibilities are colliding and there's a new demand on my time each day.
 
The first envelope arrived Monday.
 

APRIL 29

GCRL showed up first with a bunch of colorful goodies. Jim sent along a nice note saying he was happy that my time was here. Yes, I will have no greater interest in Heritage than this year -- it's all downhill from here. (But the level will be high for a few more years).

I was happy to get the official Whitey Herzog card, though the image does not look legit at all. I've also gotten over the All-Stars not having yellow-red borders because when I see that '75 star, I still get tingly.
 


Jim sent along a handful of Dodgers needs. Very much appreciated. The Galasso Burleigh Grimes actually goes to the Glossy Greats completion quest.



APRIL 30

Max is up next. We'd been corresponding about our appreciation for this set and '75. Sure, it's not perfect but PINK AND YELLOW.  Max sent the most needs from the Heritage envelopes and I'm happy to get another All-Star there!
 
Max sent a note, too, saying he was never more certain that the cards he sent would be welcome than with this envelope.



He also sent a few Dodgers needs -- and a Sabre from the good ol' days. Plus a schedule! (Hey Dodgers fans, forget about that 1992 season! It's a brand new year!).
 
The Topps Fire Koufax has been lingering on the want list for a long time. It's nice to finally get it. I confused myself with the Garvey, thinking it was from the 2023 set (I guess I'm one of those collectors now who thinks all A&G sets look the same).
 
So never mind what I said, Max, still need that '23 Garv.
 
 

MAY 2

Rod's contribution came in yesterday. A whole bunch of goodness that I was thrilled to see. It's nice to get the Austin Hays short-print -- the number of Orioles in the SP portion of the checklist is obnoxious. Also nice to get the Dusty Baker card, but it doesn't jive with what I think when I think about Baker and '75 together.
 
 

Rod also gave me my first look of the Baseball Sensations inserts. These riff on the Topps Bay City Rollers set from 1975. The design is very mid-1970s and a player like Thurman Munson goes good with the design. Robin Yount would too if it was a 1970s photo of him.

I might collect just the '70s guys from this set.



Birdie!

He also sent one of the "Zoo's Who" sticker inserts that replicate the 1975 sticker set. Not anything I'll collect -- it's kind of weird these are part of Heritage (this isn't Archives) -- but I like birdies.

In case you're wondering, yes, I was a kid that bought cards in 1975. I never saw Bay City Rollers cards or Zoo's Who Stickers. But I had blinders on for baseball so they may have been there.



Rod sent a bunch of random Dodgers, too. These ones stuck, in fact the top two complete my 2023 Chrome Update Dodgers team set.

Yeah, the other card is not a Dodger. Rod sent several more Orioles, too. I'll hold off on sending them to my nephew for now. I sent him an envelope of cards a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything back yet.

So that has cut down on my Heritage wants quite a lot. I took a screen shot of my wants after I had erased the gcrl wants.


If I'm not going to make a 1975-themed want list colorful when am I?

Now here's the want list after the other packages showed up, including the Zippy Zappy packs (one of which I may open on A Pack To Be Named Later).


Very efficient there (yeah, I know, still a lot of SPs -- that's how Heritage works).

But that's still not quite up to date. Because this afternoon after another annoying appointment and errand run, I grabbed a fat pack of Heritage and found a couple more cards I needed.
 


Now we're up to date!

Until the next package arrives next week anyway.

Thanks all.

Comments

buckstorecards said…
My mailer for you is already sealed up, so expect some dupes in the end.
Old Cards said…
It is nice to see the star again!
I can't swear that I didn't see Bay City Rollers or Zoo's Who in 1975, but I did buy a ton of football and a fair amount of hockey, so I was looking at packs for a while that year. Of course, maybe I ignored those packs as being "girls cards"
Jeremya1um said…
I have a stack of Heritage in an envelope ready to go out to you sometime next week.
Brett Alan said…
I don't recall ever seeing the Bay City Rollers or Zoo's Who sets, and I usually did end up buying at least a pack of most non-sport sets those days. I liked the Rollers OK, and my brother was a pretty big fan so I think if they'd been readily available I'd have known it at some point.
John Bateman said…
Weird Austin Hays started in the All Star game last year
Nick said…
I opened a couple rack packs of Heritage & I'll see if any of my extras match up to your wants. I'm overdue in sending you some cards regardless!

I had no idea the "Baseball Sensations" inserts were based on a Bay City Rollers card design, and knowing that makes me like 'em even more.
Fuji said…
I had heard of the Bay City Rollers, but didn't realize Topps produced a set for them. Just went to Spotify to listen to a few of their top songs. I like their card design better than their music.
Zippy Zappy said…
Based on the omission of 31 in your wantlist I assume/hope the Freeland single I sent your way made it there too.
night owl said…
Yup, I got it. Thanks ZZ!
jacobmrley said…
See, I knew you needed that '23 Garvey. It will be the start of your new pile.