Skip to main content

Trying to capture the spirit of the thing

 
I didn't buy a blaster of 2023 Stadium Club. This image is here to make a proper intro.

I've avoided this set because it's arrived so late and a number of the cards are out of date. Plus, Stadium Club is only really good when you're super-excited for its arrival and can gloss over the boring inserts and limited number of cards per box/pack. When it shows up six-to-seven months later than usual, that enthusiasm disappears.

But I am keeping in the spirit of the thing. While 2024 Topps flagship openings are exploding all over the internet, I'm showing off my '23 Stadium Club Dodgers team set that arrived today, fashionably late. Hey, at least I'm not posting it six months late.

There are 12 Dodgers in this year's set, and I'd say the images are maybe about average for a Stadium Club team set. Not too much exciting here actually. But I'll let the ranking explain my feelings, because you know there's going to be a ranking!

Excuse the wonky lighting on these. It's super-bright today. We had snow last night and the sun is now shining aggressively.
 


12. Julio Urias

Here's example one of 2023 Stadium Club arriving too damn late. Urias was yanked out of post-mid-year sets due his domestic issues but I'm sure this checklist was made last March.



11. Noah Syndergaard

One thing nobody talks about with SC is that there are quite a few average photos in the set. There's nothing wrong with this picture and it's probably sharper than if it appeared in flagship, but it's a flagship image. Also, Syndergaard didn't pitch for the Dodgers beyond July. (Almost surprised they didn't include Andre Jackson in this set).
 
 

10. Freddie Freeman

Freddie is modeling the Dodgers City Connect uniforms, which I don't mind as much as some, what's wrong with more blue? But in general I think MLB's City Connect fetish is getting very annoying and it's starting to feel like the players are dress-up dolls for the league.
 


9. Will Smith

Freddie shows up indirectly on this card with Will Smith doing "the Freddie". This was kind of cute at first, got old and now makes me fear for this season's choreographed celebration.



8. Miguel Vargas

Extra points for Vargas sliding head-first without an oven mitt. Vargas will be lucky to make the major league roster this year. The absence of Jason Heyward in this set is glaring.



7. Clayton Kershaw

Good shot of Kershaw in Dodger Stadium for the All-Star Game, despite the gold jerseys. The patch gives it away (or maybe the gold jerseys do) that this is the 2022 All-Star Game, and the guy next to Kershaw is Carlos Rodón, who was not a Yankee at this point but a Giant. You could call this photo a Golden Oldie.
 
 

6. J.D. Martinez
 
Nice sky shot and I appreciate the palm tree. It really feels like Spring Training here. No real evidence of Martinez being with the Dodgers aside from his blue shirt.
 
 

5. James Outman
 
I love candid shots. There aren't enough of them now but they used to be Topps' bread-and-butter.
 
 

4. Max Muncy
 
Really like the third-base greeting shot on home runs, it seems to clinch the feat, even more than stepping on home plate. I also like this angle, too, maybe it was taken by one of those cable cameras -- is that one at the left?
 
 

3. Jackie Robinson

Robinson is the only legend in the Dodgers team set, which makes me a little sad. The Orioles and Braves have four in their team sets. The Red Sox have five. But it's fun getting an off-the-field photo of Robinson. I don't know what's going on here or what kind of car that is (it's definitely from the 1940s) or why part of Robinson's forehead is weirdly shiny, but it's cool.



2. Mookie Betts

A lot to like. It's Mookie. He's having fun. It's a batting cage shot. There are people gathered (maybe a few too many?)
 


1. Michael Grove

Easy pick for the best shot. That's a good chunk of Dodger Stadium there. Look, you can even see the gate that torpedoed Aaron Judge's season. I've never been to a Union 76 gas station but I've seen it so long in Dodgers yearbooks, etc., that I have nostalgia for it like the Gulf station my dad always went to when I was a kid.
 
That's all I've got.
 
I don't see myself tracking down any of the parallels, the colored ones have worn out their welcome for me. Same with the inserts although I may add one or two and certainly welcome any of them (same with parallels).
 
As for buying any Stadium Club generally and featuring it here, that will probably happen only if I really get bored later in the year, which I don't see occurring with Topps flagship and Heritage this year. But you never know.
 
SC missed its shot with me this time. You snooze, you loose.

Comments

flywheels said…
There are so many great shots that I guess to notice all the average shots too.
Michael D said…
I like SC but like you, to late for me. I will pick up players as I find them, but as far as do the set? Not happening.
No worries, I'll be posting the complete set some time later this year, lol.
Anonymous said…
Image on the box would prevent me from buying it. Also, I prefer borders. Kinda looks like a late 90s Fleer set, which isn't good.
BaseSetCalling said…
Maybe...the Jackie card is a colorized, originally b&w photo. ?

No b&w cards issued 'straight' this year, instead there is a rare b&w parallel of every card.
I'd rank 6 and above as decent pics and nice looking. Sorry but don't really like the Kershaw especially if it's not even from 2023.

Topps waiting until January to release these seems to be because they will want something new coming out all the time. Not smart to do it one month before 2024 flagship comes out and a better solution would be to release SC in early December before Christmas, but I guess that's what the silly holiday cards are for.
Matt said…
I don't own a single stadium club base this year. I need to change that
jacobmrley said…
I broke down and bought a blaster of the SC because I am a weak fool. I love the photos and Target got me. I obviously don't have to put any of the Dodgers aside for you (and I got no parallels or inserts of them) but card #93 (https://img.comc.com/i/Baseball/2023/Topps-Stadium-Club---Base/93/Oswaldo-Cabrera.jpg) is an awesome night card and if you would like that one, let me know.
Nick Vossbrink said…
I'd much rather have 1 legend and 11 current guys than 5 legends and 5 current guys. But as I've said elsewhere I'd also take ALL the legends out of the set and make the SC legends cards the one and only insert (same design just not part of the base CL).
carlsonjok said…
The Jackie Robinson picture was taken on September 23, 1947 on Jackie Robinson Day. Not sure of the car, but there is probably a car guy among your readers that can ID it.

https://www.facebook.com/BlacksinBaseball/posts/pfbid02YbrSFwUwM6ofVww97Bgk3pz3QMqWFJGAwqEydPnZ6iNXuKmTvSPoDcGhvLCjp9Atl?__tn__=%2CO*F
Nick said…
Grove is easily my favorite Dodger of the bunch as well (Jackie is probably second on the list). I'm sad that Sandy Koufax doesn't seem to have a Topps contract anymore - he always got great Stadium Club cards.
Jafronius said…
The Target by my work had a couple of these left when I popped in hoping for 2024. It was 25 for a box so I got one. Thanks for showing off your team set!
Fuji said…
That Grove is fantastic! I'd rank it on top too. I actually really like the Will Smith (didn't even realize it was a Freeman thing). I'd put it in my Top 3 with #42.