Skip to main content

It's The Penguin's day. Celebrate if you have time

 
I've been pretty damn busy today, really pretty damn busy the last few weeks, and it makes me sad that I can't spend all the live long day looking for 2024 Topps.
 
That's partly Topps fault for deciding to release its flagship set on The Relationship Holiday and two days after The Biggest Football Thing Ever. Give us a chance to breathe, man!
 
It's also the time that I recognize the birthday of my all-time favorite player, Ron Cey. Today is that day. He's 76 today and wow, I hope I get to be 76.
 
Last year, on his 75th birthday, I showed all of the 1975 cards in my collection. I'll do that for you now with '76.
 

Lots of round cards to go with the square ones. (I swear those four that look almost exactly alike are different). I also have that Linnett Superstars oversized item somewhere, but there's zero time to search for it.

Usually I take the time to find a new Ron Cey card for my collection on this day. I've done that -- sorry, it's another MSA disc. There just aren't a lot of Cey cards out there that I don't already have and I most definitely am not going to start collecting his Cubs cards.

I also have my eye on another MSA disc of his. There are few other oddballs I can see myself getting at some point, too.

I also took the occasion of his birthday to officially start reading this:


Yeah, I know, when did I get time to read a BOOK?

I don't know, I think there was a moment around 11:43 this morning.

My plan was to have this book all read and then give you a book report on Cey's birthday, but that failed miserably. I'm on page 5. (Although, like I said earlier, I did read like half of this in a bookstore over the summer).

I hope The Penguin enjoyed his day -- I know he has a book-signing coming up, way over there on the other side of the country. And I hope I have more time next year for his 77th birthday.

I still can't believe that player I rooted for as a kid is that freakin' old. 

Comments

Grant said…
I noticed the other day on Curb Your Enthusiasm that Larry David had a copy of Penguin Power on his bookshelf.
1984 Tigers said…
I forgot he got traded to CHC. For some reason I thought he was left to walk like Garvey did. Lopes also got traded to the As right after winning a WS. It was really weird seeing Cey and Lopes playing for the Cubbies in the 84 NL playoffs. Only to be undone by Steve Garveys walkoff in Game 4. Three of the Dodgers playing for two teams that stunk it up the same year (1981) LA finally got it done.

Did you ever grab his As 87 topps traded. That is a very nice card of him.
1984 Tigers said…
Forgot former Dodger Sutcliffe was also the ace of that 84 CHC team. For the starting 9, not a single player was a homegrown Cub. The closest was Jody Davis who was drafted and played his 1st game as a Cub but played for two other organizations prior.

And the players obtained for Cey and Lopes. Only one guy made the bigs and he lasted 9 games. None with LA.
Matt said…
I can't remember the last time I read a book. Maybe some day. I used to love to read.
bbcardz said…
Ron Cey on a book signing tour--how cool! I found two upcoming signings.

Tuesday Feb. 27 at Barnes & Noble in LA (The Grove at Farmers Market)
https://stores.barnesandnoble.com/event/9780062164443-0

Friday March 22 at Vroman's Bookstore - Pasadena
https://dola.com/events/2024/3/22/ron-cey-presents-and-signs-penguin-power-dodger-blue-hollywood-lights-and-my-one-in-a-million-big-league-journey-tickets

That Friday signing is only 4.4 miles down the road from me.

And fwiw, I broke a could of hobby boxes of 2024 Series One and posted the goods on the TCDb forums -- https://www.tcdb.com/Forum.cfm/Page/S/ID/404413/?MODE=VIEW&ThreadID=46800&C=34

Doc Samson said…
I remember the 1984 Cubs well. I used to watch them on TV coming home from high school. This was before Wrigley Field had lights.

Totally forgotten but very important: despite winning the division by like 20 games, Jim Frey ran Rick Sutcliffe into the ground. This came to haunt the Cubs because Sutcliffe was completely out of gas in an elimination playoff game.
Old Cards said…
Used to read a lot of books, but now find myself spending a lot of time on my PC, like right now! I 'cey', 'What a great post for your favorite player on his birthday.'
Jamie Meyers said…
When I see pictures of guys who played in the 70's as they look now I'm always taken a little aback. Of course I know better but that image of them from their playing days sticks in one's head. I collect signed copies of cards in the 1975 set and half the players from it are gone now. Still, it doesn't seem real that a guy like Ron Cey, who was on the young side of guys who were in that set, is 76 now. Don Gullett will not see that age. I just got Dick Green back in the mail today, he's 82!

Then again, I just turned 59. How the heck did that happen? More than a bit sobering to think that so much life is now in the past.
Michael D said…
I remember those Dodger days of Ron Cey and Steve Garvey. Fun team to watch.
tick tock too old to see the clock tick tock lost a sock tick tock dangit I just forgot.
Fuji said…
Was kinda busy last week, so I didn't get a chance to celebrate. But happy belated birthday Mr. Cey!