Skip to main content

C.A.: 2005 Donruss Inside View Hideo Nomo

 (Hey look, part-time blogger night owl has another post up! Sorry again for the infrequency. I should be back to the regular 5-days-a-week-but-not-quite-8-hours-a-day posting schedule next week. For now, it's just one card, because it's time for Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 333rd in a series):

 

Today is the anniversary of the Dodgers signing Hideo Nomo so I've got a timely post. I like those.

I keep telling myself to cut back on all the social media outlets but then I go and add another one with the Baseball Card "House of Cardboard" Discord site. (I've cut back on Facebook and Twitter, so I suppose it evens out). The attractive part of social media for me still is: I find out baseball card things.

Like the card above, for example.

This card is from an insert set from 2005 Donruss called "Inside View". Now comes the part I didn't know until I saw a discussion on Discord:

The set was pulled from production by Donruss, but somehow some of the cards wound up in packs. The cards were intended to be serial-numbered to 1,000 but the cards that showed up in packs are not serial-numbered. It's estimated that anywhere between 5 and 25 cards of each of the 20 players in the set showed up in packs, according to the baseballcardpedia.com write-up.

So they are super-rare -- ugly as hell -- but rare.

I knew when I read the Discord discussion that I had the Hideo Nomo card. Thanks to my sometimes-reliable blog archives, I discovered that I received this card in 2019 from Cards On Cards. I didn't have a clue what it was at the time.
 


There's the back. No serial number. So this is one of no more than 25 copies.

This is what it goes for on COMC:

This is what it goes for on ebay:
 

Those are the only copies I found.
 
You may have noticed that my card up at the top has loads of scratches on it. Here's a different view:
 

But there are "scratches" on the Nomos-for-sale I showed and on other set examples I've seen. I think that's part of the design. Like any card between 1995-2005, me knowledge is limited.

It doesn't matter because at only 25 copies, if someone wants it, they'll probably pay for it regardless of what it looks like, outside of it being chewed up and spat out.

It also doesn't matter because I don't intend to sell it, no matter how ugly.

Comments

I have one of the 3 Braves from the 2004 set. Those are numbered (1250). I have Andruw. Because I haven't entered any of my PC guys other than Braves into TCDB, I don't know without manually checking each of the players PC whether I have any of the 2005 or 2004's for that matter. Don't worry about the 2004 (there were no Dodgers). It will be fun looking for those once I actually re-start updating the PC files. I had no clue about the 2005, so now I hope I have them all, lol.
Fuji said…
Cool card. It's ugly, but it has a very interesting background story.

As much as I enjoy learning about new baseball card things, I stay away from Facebook and Twitter as much as I possibly can... and Discord isn't even on my radar. The day I start flipping through those sites is the day I retire from blogging, because there's just not enough hours in the day.
Jon said…
You might need to try and find a little something extra for Kerry as a belated thank you for sending you a better card than you had previously realized.
Clearush said…
Another HoC member here, I lurk more than post, but I had to snag that Biggio for my PC, and I just snagged #4 also, CC Sabathia for a silly good deal. Some of these are Refractor cards and some are not? I wonder if they intended to pull them because they were inconsistent with the finish/type not being the same.