Skip to main content

My mom's in heaven, which means there might be no baseball in heaven

I was woken up out of a dead sleep at 4:16 a.m. Saturday.

My mom had died.

I knew the call was coming. I knew it was coming almost a year ago. I knew the time was closer when she was in the hospital for a week last month. And I knew that when I visited her last week, at her bed side, in my parents' living room, under the care of hospice, that she had even less time on this earth than ever.

So, I was ready. But I couldn't stop crying Saturday. Crying while I packed. Crying in the car ride down. Crying anytime the conversation came even remotely near my mom. And I'm not a crier.

My mother was quiet, classy, a pixie spit-fire, gentle, shy, sweet, God-fearin' and healthy as a horse. ALS took all of that away in the past year. It's been a difficult 12 months, not just for my dad and the immediate family, but for every person who came to my parents' house to visit or to treat mom or simply to deliver the mail. They knew she was special. My mom did not deserve this. Nobody does, of course. But if you knew my mom, my goodness, why her?

There is no doubt in my mind that my mom is in heaven. She is the model for any "so you want to get into heaven?" manual. I cannot think of her saying a bad word about anyone.

But baseball?

My mom didn't like baseball. She had no interest in sports at all, and God, just to play with her, gave her three sports-loving boys. We watched and played baseball relentlessly. And my mom couldn't understand it at all, periodically throwing up her hands when the topic turned again -- to baseball.

However, as I've mentioned on the blog a few times, my mom bought me my first packs of baseball cards in 1974.


She bought me the first baseball card I ever saw, which arrived in that first cello pack.



She also bought me the first card I ever received from an antique shop, a story I mentioned last year at this time on Mother's Day, around the time that I began to become concerned for my mom's health.

She didn't make Mother's Day this year, taking her earthly exit one day prior. I avoided the blogs yesterday, for fear of coming across too many mom-centric posts. Twitter, too. Facebook was out of the question.

My blog-posting will be spotty-to-non-existent all week as we honor and remember my mom as she looks down on us from heaven.

And I will wonder during this time: if my mom is in heaven and if heaven is a place devoid of every earthly annoyance and if baseball annoyed/perplexed my mom, doesn't that mean there's no baseball in heaven?

That's mildly concerning.

But that doesn't matter at all now.

Love you mom. Miss you. Thanks for the cards.

Comments

Nick Vossbrink said…
Coraggio. I'm sorry.
acrackedbat said…
you have my heart Greg. I am so sorry. Her suffering is ended but her journey has only begun. God has a sense of humor so I'm pretty sure your Mom arrived to seats right behind homeplate, looking across the beautiful field of Elysian.
Jon said…
I'm very sorry about your loss. People always say that being able to know that something like this coming makes it easier when it does eventually come, I know from past experience that it doesn't make it any easier, so as lame as it sounds, try to hang in there -- time is the only thing that'll actually make it any easier to deal with (or so they say).
Adam said…
So sorry for your loss Greg.
Mark Hoyle said…
So sorry to hear this Greg. You could tell by many of your recent posts how important your mother was to you. In my prayers
Anonymous said…
God bless you and yours.
Jason T. Carter said…
So sorry for your loss Greg. I pray that God gives you and your family comfort and strength during this time of grief.
Tony Lehman said…
I am so sorry for your loss, Greg. You're in my thoughts.
Wishes of comfort for you in your time of sorrow and celebration for your Mom
PK Steinberg said…
I'm very sorry to read this. Please know you and your family are in my thoughts.
Scott Crawford said…
Very sorry for your loss, Greg. Love and strength to you and your family.
John Bateman said…
sorry for your loss
Very sorry for your loss. My condolences.
Old Cards said…
Sorry for your loss.
Wrigley Wax said…
I'm very sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.
Nick said…
I'm so sorry for your loss, Greg. My mom, like yours, has never been into baseball either but has always been quick to support my hobby whenever possible. It's one of the infinite things that make moms treasures for eternity.
EddieK said…
I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.
Robert said…
Very very sorry to hear about this Greg. God bless your mother, she's in a better place now...
Angus said…
My condolences. Best wishes to you and your family.
steelehere said…
Sorry for your loss Greg.
Billy Kingsley said…
Very sorry to hear of your loss, Greg.
I'm with Julie here, God has a sense of humor and your mom is up there in the BIG Commissioner's box seats watching the old time Yankees and BoSoxers having at it. Take your time we'll all be here. Prayers out to you and your family.
I'm sorry for your loss, Greg. I could tell from what you've said about her that your mom was a wonderful person.
bbcardz said…
Oh my gosh Greg, I'm so sorry about your mom. I can also relate to having a mom who bought baseball cards for me back in the day. My sincere condolences to you and your family...
Nachos Grande said…
Greg, I am sorry for you and your family's loss. Your mother sounded like an amazing woman from what you've written about her over the years. My thoughts are with you this week.
hockey kazi said…
Sorry to hear about your loss. Take care.
Greg, so sorry to hear about your Mom. I am praying for you and your family. +
Unexpected Loss 12/16/13

Don’t tell me you know how I feel

Cause only I know how I feel

And I’m not sure

Don’t tell me they’re in a better place

A better place to me

Would be with me still

Don’t tell me there is a reason

If there is tell me what it is

I need to know


BaseSetCalling said…
Writing, helps. It doesn’t have to be for us. But keep on writing. Or, write for us and we’ll be here whenever you are.
Fuji said…
My thoughts are with you and your family during this tough time. One thing I've learned recently is that we all deal and cope with the loss of loved ones a little differently. Personally... I'm not sure what I would have done without the support of friends and family. So if there's anything I can do to help, just say the word.
DMA said…
I'm sorry, Greg; you'll be in our thoughts.
Brett Alan said…
My late mother also cared little for sports, but was surrounded by a husband and children who lived for them. I think she came to see it as something important that my Dad, my brother, and I could bond over.

I wish I has more wisdom for you from my experience, but I don’t think I have much. I hope you and your family can find what solace you need and that you cherish her memory.
Jamie Meyers said…
Condolences and best wishes to you and your family. I know this has been a very difficult time for you all.
GCA said…
Man, tough thing. And that's two of you now... We all are here for you for anything.
Commishbob said…
Really sorry to hear this. Condolences to you and your family, Greg.
Matt said…
Sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and your family.
AdamE said…
I'm so sorry for you loss.
Big Tone said…
Sorry for your loss.As cliche as It may sound,she's In a better place.Has to be.
CaptKirk42 said…
Condolences to you and your family. It is always difficult when we lose loved ones. I think when it comes to our moms though it is that much more difficult. After all our first 9 months of development were within her.
Defenders50 said…
Death sucks, especially when it is one so close. Sorry for your loss, Greg.
Josh D. said…
That sucks, Greg. So sorry for your lost She sounds like quite a lady.
TSHenson said…
So sorry of your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
arpsmith said…
Very sorry for your loss Greg.
Laurens said…
Thank you for taking the time to post during such a time - may your mother rest in peace.
Jafronius said…
Condolences on you and your family. May she rest in peace.
I'm so sorry for your loss... Nothing prepares you for the loss of a parent. May the memories of better times stay with you and comfort you.
Community Gum said…
I'm very sorry for your loss, Greg. There would have to be baseball in Heaven if for no other reason than it gives you and your brothers so much joy and there's no way she would want to be in a place that would deprive you of that.
Big League said…
I am sorry for your loss.

Baltmoss68 said…
Sorry for your loss. May God bless her and those who will always love her.
Jongudmund said…
My dad died 2 months ago. We went to a lot of soccer games together over the years. It's really hard getting used to him not being here. Wishing you lots of love and care from here in Wales.
I'm incredibly sorry to hear about your loss, Greg. I could tell that your mom truly meant a lot to you. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
No words can make it better, but still offering condolences to you and your family.
Scribbled Ink said…
So sorry for you loss. What an amazing post in such a hard time for you. Very touching.
Bo said…
Sorry to hear it. Best wishes to you and your family.
Adam Kaningher said…
I'm sorry for your loss.
I've been off the blogs for a bit and I just read this post. I am so sorry.
Bubba said…
Just getting back from a long vacation... spent the last two hours reading through your backlog of posts I haven't gotten to. Sorry to hear about this Greg. Glad to hear she's with the Lord. Best wishes!