Skip to main content

Haunted when the minutes drag

I spent just about the entire day today without the slightest idea of what I was going to write.

It happens. It seems to happen a lot more often than it used to and that's a little concerning. But I wasn't worried. I'd think of something.

The bout with writer's block all began last night actually.

I felt it when I woke up too early this morning.

It was 10:41 a.m.

That's well into some people's day but I'm not some people. I had gotten home from my job the previous night a little later than usual. There's one key guy on vacation and when he's on vacation I basically have to do his job and my job and that means getting some things done after deadline.

But I arrived home at 1:57 a.m., which isn't too bad considering.

There's always some unwind time after work -- that time when people usually vegetate in front of the TV between 8-10 p.m. That time for me is from 2 a.m. until whenever I get sleepy.

I was just about to turn in for the night, when suddenly, the dog decided he really, really had to go out.

I looked at the clock.

For crying out loud it was 4:01 in the morning!!!

But I let him out and he stayed out there for far too long. But eventually he came in and I went to bed and then dammit, it's 10:41 in the morning and I'm wide awake.

I knew instantly that I didn't have any post in mind, but I still wasn't worried.

I went out for a walk at 12:35 p.m. This was my workout for the day -- I half walk and half run the route. Walking often unearths blogging ideas and I thought that might happen today.

It didn't.

I got home around 1:15. It was too hot out there (we got to 80 degrees today!). I made myself a quick lunch and sat down. The clock said 1:22 p.m. Still no blog idea.

"Guess it's going to be a trade post," I thought to myself.

From 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. I did some yard work. It was overdue. And it's another good "thinking" exercise to get the blog ideas flowing.

By the time I was done I was pretty tired. The heat had gotten to me and the lack of sleep. I had to take a nap.

I slept fitfully for a little more than hour, partly because of the noise outside, partly because the dog would not relax and partly because the family would be coming home soon. Oh, and partly because of no blog idea.

At 4:34 p.m., I got myself up. I didn't feel rested.

At 5:35 p.m., we were having dinner.

At 6:15 p.m., I was doing the dishes -- another excellent way to think up a blog post. I wasn't feeling confident. Even the trade post ideas weren't working in my head.

I went upstairs to stare at my cards as a last-ditch effort to think of something. Anything.

And then it hit me.

I walked across the hall to look at the clock in the bathroom.

The clock said 6:36 p.m.

That's when I got my idea.

From there it was a frenzy of pulling cards, scanning them. Cropping. Uploading. Writing.

The minutes flew past for the first time all day. 7:10, 7:11, 7:12, 7:13 ...

More cropping. More uploading. More writing.

Finally I was done.

It was 8:06 p.m.

I had my idea and post written.

Nothing like waiting until the 11th hour.


  1. At least you don't have poor time management skills.

  2. I give you props for actually remembering each exact time you did things.

  3. Very clever post! I have a few stashed away I wrote a while back ready to fill in a hole when I have writer's block. Some of them date back to 2015. I'm running low on them so I will have to actually write something when I want to get a post up in the near future...

  4. Do my eyes deceive me, or did the Owl just make a Love and Rockets reference?

    Man, what a band.

  5. Reminds me of a clever website that I use to test computers and chromebooks that have issues shutting off or rebooting at random times. I leave them running looking at The site changes every minute so it's easy to tell if the machine has kept running the whole time. It's all pictures that include the current time numbers from all over the world.

  6. 4:01am. That's when my first alarm goes off. Haven't had this kind of schedule since college. Impressive.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Addressing the elephant in the room

A few people have noticed: I changed the way the blog looked with zero fanfare earlier this week.

I've changed my blog appearance, I think, six times now, although one was just a header swap. Just about all of those came with a bit of a warning or explanation.

I didn't think that was necessary this time, mostly because I've been doing this for over a decade, am pretty established, and don't think I need to justify my decisions here.

But also I thought that people were familiar with the general changes in web sites over the last two, three, four years and wouldn't be that affected by it. For the most part that seems to be true -- or, no one cares and they're all looking at pretty instagram pictures.

I've received a couple of questions though and just because I hate the feeling that some readers are lost, I'll explain what I can.

The changes, like many web site changes, are related to mobile phone use.

I've been irked by the way my blog looks on my p…

Mind explosion: a different way to sort

This may have been one of the most tedious blog posts to put together in the history of this blog, but I think it's for a good cause.

The reason I'm not entirely sure is because I didn't have time to carry it out for a few more attempts, got to shovel that 7 inches of heavy wet snow plopped on my estate on Nov. 12th.

Anyway, a couple of days ago, Colbey from Cardboard Collections was sorting his Topps Holiday set by card number and asked a very common question that I've seen come up many times during my blogging career:

 This is always a satisfying question because this is how I organize my sets when I'm organizing by card number. At the top of the post I showed cards from the 2019 Topps flagship set being sorted in that manner -- stacks separated by hundreds first, then you create separate stacks by 10s within each hundreds stack, then finally order each of the 10s by card number.

I've done this since I was a kid and first knew the card numbers on the back me…

Looking at cards with Johnny B.

Over the weekend, I got a chance to express my inner Mike Oz and share some baseball cards with a former major league player.

I'm working on a story for my paper that involves ex-player Johnny Wockenfuss, who is almost a cult figure with fans of a certain age (I am one) and especially fans of the Detroit Tigers during the '70s and '80s.

I won't go into much detail -- at least not now -- because I'm still in the middle of working on it, have more gathering to go, and I get very protective of my stories while I'm in the middle of the process. Got to retain that exclusive, you know.

But I will say that I was able to sit in the home of Wockenfuss, give him the cards that I have of him in my collection, and ask his opinion on them.

Yeah, cool. Way cool.

I have 17 cards of Wockenfuss ("you have a lot of them," my wife said, and I thought "if that's a lot, what is my Hideo Nomo collection?"). Wockenfuss remembered the cards -- "every bit …