Skip to main content

C.A., the review 3 (part 6)


I am still struggling through without a scanner. It's reaching a point where I'm going to have to limit my posting until I can get one.

Where I'm already feeling the lack of a scanner is in the trade posting department. I want to let people know that I've received their cards even though I can't show them yet.

So, to:

Fantastic Catch
Cardboard Catastrophes
The Lost Collector
Adventures in 1952 Topps
2-By-3 Heroes
Johngy's Beat
The Five-Tool Collector
Baseball Dad
The Junior Junkie
Life and Baseball Cards

and

mr. haverkamp

I have received your wonderful cards.

Also,

To Cards On Cards,

I have received your contest prize.

Thank you.

I assure you, I will be boring every last soul who comes to my blog with the contents of those packages as soon as my little brain and wallet allows me.

But in the meantime, let's go through another Cardboard Appreciation the Review 3 voting exercise.

As you can probably tell by the Hank Aaron card retrospective at the top of the post, the '70s has won again. That's five times in a row that you've voted in a '70s card to the next round.

Here is the tally:

1. Hank Aaron Special, 1962-65, 1974 Topps, 18 votes
2. Angel Berroa and Andres Blanco, Classic Combos, 2007 Topps, 11 votes
3. Spike Owen, 1993 Topps, 9 votes
4. Ken Griffey Jr., All-Star Team, 1993 Score, 7 votes
5. Ollie Brown, 1977 Topps, 5 votes
6. 1930 World Series Program 100th Anniversary of Fall Classic, 2004 Topps, 4 votes
7. Ethan Martin, 2008 Razor, 1 vote
8. Darryl Johnston, 1996 Topps Finest, 1 vote
(56 total votes)

That was a little more competitive than some of the past vote-offs.

The mind boggles that the 2008 Razor card received a vote.

So with Hank Aaron's '60s cards joining his buddies in the '70s, let's look at what you'll be voting on for this round.


1. 1979 Topps Sparky Lyle: One of the most popular posts in the history of this blog was when I wrote about Lyle sitting bare-assed on birthday cakes. Never mind that this first came to public knowledge the same year this card was produced. It still fascinates people. We all have our little claims to fame.



2. 2011 Topps Heritage Miguel Cabrera AL All-Star: Last October we experienced a baseball civil war. It was the Cabreras against the Trouts. The Cabreras won. This really bothered the Trouts. The point of my post was, it didn't matter who won, both players are really good and did really great things last year. But some of us can't be happy if we don't win.



3. 2012 Topps Heritage, Mariano Rivera and Joe Girardi, Veteran Masters: Boy was I hot for this post. Topps' decision to issue an online only Heritage High Numbers set in limited quantities with a large price tag bothered me so much that I vowed not to complete another modern-day set. I've cooled down a little bit. But you'll notice I still haven't completed a modern day set. 2013 Allen & Ginter will be the ultimate test to how angry I remain.



4. 2012 Topps Allen & Ginter Erin Andrews: Don't speak bad to/about my woman! I believe that pretty much sums up this particular Cardboard Appreciation post.



5. 1974 Topps Dave Kingman: This is the perfect Halloween card. Is it the perfect Cardboard Appreciation Hall of Fame card? We'll see.



6. 1977 Hostess Dave Lopes: I lamented the disappearance of Hostess in this Cardboard Appreciation post, showing the first Hostess Twinkie card I ever obtained. And then I counted down the best Hostess treats. I'm pleased to inform you that those treats live on because Hostess is BACK.



7. 2011 Bowman Platinum Andre Ethier green parallel: There are some cards that go wonderfully with the team that is displayed on the card. I promised to do a post or a series of posts on this. I haven't done it yet. But don't worry, I will. And don't worry, I don't think green goes well with the Dodgers, no matter what 1983 Topps says.



8. 1952 Topps Chris Van Cuyk: I love, love, love, love this card. It is the only widely released card of Chris Van Cuyk issued during his career. And the fact that on his lone card he has his eyes closed is just greatness.


I think this group of eight is a little more challenging then the last.

Please do me a solid (yes, I just wrote that) and vote for one of the cards above on the sidebar at right. The sidebar that is a pleasing blue color.

I'm still going to try to get posts up while scanner hiatus continues, but if you don't see one a day or two or three this week, you'll know why.

Comments

Fuji said…
It was very difficult to not pick The Lady In Red... but I ended up going with the Guy In Orange. Great looking card that features a classic design, a beautiful swing, and great color combinations.
jacobmrley said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
jacobmrley said…
The '52 Topps will almost always win. You picked the wrong lady in red from that Ginter set (Upton).

But forget all that, plug "2013 legend celebrity softball alyssa milano" into google image search.

your welcome.
Commishbob said…
I was all set to vote for Erin ANDREWS' card (I like to believe we are related) until I got to the '52 Van Cuyk. Even with looks like a bogus cap logo and an odd background, this card trumps the lady's ummm... charms.
petethan said…
This was by far the toughest field so far. And no way I'm gonna mention who I voted for or else I'll have to keep one eye open while I sleep to look out for an angry Tommy Lasorda...
Anonymous said…
That Van Cuyk card looks like it was done by the same people who did those Obak cards a couple of years ago. A very strange card, a very tempting choice... but I had to go with Kong.
GCA said…
Pfft. I like a lot of the other cards, but gotta go with gorgeousness. Erin all the way.
Johngy said…
This was the easiest choice for me. Kingman with very little hesitation at all.