Skip to main content

C.A., the review 3 (part 5)


Yup. We're now 4-for-4 on advancing the 1970s card to the next round here on Cardboard Appreciation, the Review 3.

Len "Don't Call Me Lenny" Randle is the fourth '70s card to win the little vote-off competition on this blog in four tries. He joins Robinson, Carter and Blue on the sidelines until it's time to work through the round of 8.

Here is a look at how the voting went for the past week:

1. Len Randle, 1978 Topps: 28 votes
2. Pete Rose, 1980 Kellogg's: 8 votes
3. Oakland A's, 2011 Topps: 5 votes
4. Maci Wilkins, 1993 Endless Summer promo, 4 votes
5. Hideo Nomo, 2003 Sweet Spot Patches, 2 votes
6. Len Barker, 1981 Topps, 1 vote
7. Mike Marshall, 1984 Donruss, 0 votes
8. Clayton Kershaw/Matt Kemp, 2011 Panini Playoff Contenders, 0 votes
(48 total votes)

A couple of things:

a) Thank you for voting for the Oakland A's dugout. Love that card.
b) Thank you for voting for Maci. You restore my faith in humanity by voting for a gal in a bathing suit.
c) Thank you for refusing to vote for that Panini thing. And everyone else: stop buying Panini until they figure things out.

But that's a lot of stuff about the losers. Remember, only Randle advances. And now it's time to see if the '70s can go 5-for-5 with the latest group of candidates.

It's going to be tough with this one. It's such a mish-mash of the unspectacular, I don't know what's going to happen.

So here we go:


1. 1993 Topps Spike Owen: I showed this card as my ode to Spike. I should have interviewed him after his star-of-the-game performance in the Expos' win over the Astros. But I didn't. And it's haunted me ever since.



2. 2004 Topps 100th Anniversary of the Fall Classic 1930 World Series insert: I'm supposedly collecting this insert set, which is what I declared when I featured this card. But I have no idea why you would vote for this card.



3. 2007 Topps Classic Combos Angel Berroa and Andres Blanco: Angel and Andres posing in the stands. F-I-E-L-D-I-N-G.



4. 1977 Topps Ollie Brown: Someone thought it would be a good idea to see what pinking shears could do to a card. And this is the result.



5. 2008 Razor Ethan Martin: This was a tale about when you have a card of a prospect for your favorite team and then that prospect gets traded. All you have left is some card of a goofy kid in his high school uniform. Again, I have no idea why you would vote for this card.



6. 1993 Score All-Star Team Ken Griffey Jr.: I love caricature drawings. There needs to be more of them on cards. That doesn't explain why I haven't purchased a single pack of 2013 Triple Play.



7. 1974 Topps Hank Aaron Special, 1962-65: This is one of the earliest examples of Topps self-promotion on cards. I thought this topic was fascinating. I still think it is. The zero comments on this post thought otherwise.



8. 1996 Topps Finest Daryl Johnston: A football card in Cardboard Appreciation? Hey, if there's a bathing beauty in Cardboard Appreciation, we can throw in some shoulder pads, too. Johnston played for a high school that I used to cover. So that's worth appreciating.


I told you it'd be an eclectic, strange sort of group. I hope you can find something to vote for in that assemblage.

Be so kind to vote in the poll on the sidebar.

I've turned it orange this week in tribute to the Dodgers' ownership of the Giants these last couple of series. It's been a beautiful few weeks.

Oh, and Sergio Romo is a half-wit. That is all.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I voted for the high school kid just because I was uninspired by this group and someone has to vote for the high school kid.

Honorable mention goes to the Spike Owen card which features 40% of a New York Met.
Fuji said…
The rare die-cut 77T gets my vote! Try putting that card into a penny sleeve.
Commishbob said…
I voted for Spike Owens' card. Not that I liked it much, but it's the best of this bunch.


!!!the captcha word is 'owlwham'. LOL
Matthew Glidden said…
Voted for Spike Owen, who also appeared on the 1993 Topps Pre-Production sheet. Everything numbered #000!

1993 Topps Pre-Production sheet of 9