Skip to main content

A 'Happy Father's Day' from someone I've never met


I was out of town for a few days to celebrate the day that really shouldn't be celebrated, "Father's Day." I'm not saying the day shouldn't exist. I'm just saying it shouldn't be celebrated. Just show up, throw your gifts at dear old dad, tell him you'll ignore him for the next 24 hours, and he'll be happy.

But because dad is usually surrounded by people who think celebrations are good fun, he often gets sucked into said celebration.

So, like I said, I was out of town for a few days, and let's just say I was sucked into suck and now I'm glad I'm back.

I'm also very tired. Which explains my attitude. And my headache.

I'd like to say I received some cards for Father's Day, but that didn't happen. (Yeah, a celebration without cards. I don't get it either). I made the crazy mistake of actually asking for clothing for Father's Day. That's not all I asked for -- baseball cards are generally understood as a gift for every occasion. But when you go out of your way to request clothing, you are absolutely going to get it. As the old saying goes, "every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man."

So I got what I asked for, but can't say I'm elated. Thankful, sure. Appreciative, yeah. But where ma' cards?

Fortunately, I received a bubble mailer in the mailbox just as I was headed out the door on my trip. Sensing the challenge before me, I quickly tucked the envelope into my luggage for -- you know -- sustenance.

The envelope was from Marcus of All The Way To The Backstop, and it sure came in handy. During a point in the "celebration" when I just couldn't take any more Conversations Of No Interest To Me, I slipped away and opened the envelope. At last! Sustenance!


There was a good portion of Bowman in the package. And shockingly, one of the cards was of a player that I didn't know existed before I pulled the card out.

Zach Bird, my modest research shows, is a Class A pitcher throwing up a 6.00 ERA. And apparently these days that's excuse enough to create a card of the man. But good luck to you, good sir.


Marcus also sent a handful of Dodgers Archives cards. Again, shockingly, he was beat to the punch on a couple of the cards by ...um ... me. Yup, me. A collector with Archives issues. No, I can't explain it, any more than I can explain Topps repeatedly featuring this Adrian Gonzalez blast-off pose.



This is where things get really good. This is my first Hyun-Jin Ryu card. Ryu is scheduled to pitch in Yankee Stadium on Tuesday. I'm sure no one will be able to resist turning this into a Big Deal. Another celebration. But I just want the guy to get us a win without managing to put himself on the disabled list.



I can't believe no one has filled me in on how awesome these parallels are. The scans can't show it, but tilting these cards makes it appear as if the subject is swirling amid the stars -- like he's in the planetarium when they flip on the switch and you're all suddenly floating in space.

I like this card a lot.


I like this card even more. The Gallery of Heroes and Tall Boys are the only things, for me, that stand out in Archives (I suppose the Fan Favorites autographs do, too, but my chances of obtaining one are slim). I'm very pleased to have this card.

When I was finished opening the package, I patted myself on the back for my quick thinking in sending this package off with me on my visit. I also thanked Marcus for wishing me a Happy Father's Day in the most ideal fashion.

Then I turned around, braced myself and headed downstairs.

There was more "celebration" to experience.

Comments

Stealing Home said…
OMG on that Koufax, and the Swirling Stars Ryu is certainly cool also.

I received your package last week. There were some real gems in there. Thanks, buddy!

Another package "just because" will be heading out to you soon.
BASEBALL DAD said…
Nice package! Love the Koufax.
Thanks for the great line - "throwing up...................... a 6.00 ERA".

We enjoy watching golf, so that allows us to ignore everything else when necessary.
BaseSetCalling said…
a pity there has to be a "77" on that Ryu card
Marcus said…
After church, my kids and wife fell asleep for a few hours. I had to watch the Padres win all by myself, uninterrupted. An unintentional gift, to be sure, but still very appreciated, even if it meant having dinner at 8:00, when they all woke up.

I'm not busting a lot of packs lately, but I keep pulling guys that are wearing Dodger blue. Glad you liked 'em.
petethan said…
Happy Father's Day!! My kids were more sensible. They went to spend the weekend with their oldest sister, so I had free card sorting rein for a couple of nights. Whoo hoo! Also meant I actually managed to dig up something from your Neb Nine that's on it way to you. Happy Fathers Day.