Skip to main content

Define the design: the Christmas edition


Christmas greetings, everyone!

This is your official Christmas post of 2011. Don't expect anything else until after the big day. I'll be too busy rolling around in relic and autograph cards.

(Pause so everyone can recognize the sarcasm)

This Christmas Eve, I'm pulling out the Define the Design segment to see if I can find some Christmas-related names for some sets.

It's actually not that easy. Christmas, of course, is filled with iconic symbols -- trees, wreaths, elves, sleighs, Heat Miser, Snow Miser, etc., etc.

So, naturally, baseball card designers would probably go out of their way to avoid anything that can be associated with Christmas. Baseball and Christmas don't really mix. But that doesn't mean I can't mix them!

Most of these names won't make the official Define the Design file. This is just a holiday thing. But a few I like enough that they may stick.

So put on your Santa hat and let's go:


1994 Post: The Christmas Set.

This has always been The Christmas Set to me. Red, green, gold? It's a natural.


2004 Leaf Certified Materials: The Silver and Gold Burl Ives Set.

Burl could sing this song about any number of sets between 1995-2005. But I like this one best.


1990 Donruss Baseball's Best: The Blue Christmas Set


1990 Donruss Rookies: The Green Christmas Set


2007 Topps Opening Day: The White Christmas Set



2001 Donruss Classics: The Silver Bells Set


1997 Stadium Club Pure Gold inserts: The Cookie Cutter Set. Who doesn't want a Mike Piazza-shaped Christmas cookie?



2006 Upper Deck Unique: The Polar Express Set



1987 Fleer Limited Edition: The Christmas Toy Soldier Set




1997 Topps: The Holly and the Ivy Set


I'm partial to '94 Post, '87 Fleer Limited Edition and maybe a few others. After the holiday I may add a couple to the DTD list.

I hope everybody has a relaxing, joyous and blessed holiday.

We could all use one.

Merry Christmas.

Comments

Spankee said…
I think "cookie cutter set" should just be the ______________ set by Panini.
Johngy said…
Great post.

By the way, I love the Emmanuelle Chriqui pic. I still can't believe I accidentally delayed her interview with mlb.com back a few year in LA. I started talking to mlb reporter Chrissy Colligan and Emmanuelle patiently waited and even joined in a bit.

Merry holidays and keep up the great work on your site.

Johngy Claus