Skip to main content

My Matt Kemp card pipeline

It's strange to me that some folks seem to have a limitless supply of Dodgers. Especially Dodgers of the "hit" persuasion.

I've mentioned recently how often I pull hits of my favorite team. It's happened three times. Fortunately, other people have much better luck. And "the bearded one" is one of those other people. Beardy has sent me not one, but two Dodger hits of the SAME PLAYER.

The first one was the Matt Kemp '08 A&G autograph card, which has become one of my favorite autograph cards.

Then he sent me this Matt Kemp jersey card. It's tremendous, too.

Now, other generous folks have sent me Kemp au/gu cards as well, but I think Beardy has some direct line to Kemp hits. And, thankfully, I have a direct line to Beardy.

Last Friday I found a package in the mailbox from none other than the follically blessed and wondered if the Kemp pipeline was still flowing.

Here is some of what I found:

A 1996 Fleer Ultra card of Greg Gagne. This was the Dodgers' shortstop of the future in 1996. He lasted two seasons as a starter for L.A., which then decided that was enough. Do you realize the Dodgers' top shortstop of the 1990s was probably Jose Offerman? Ugh.

A 2001 Upper Deck Pros & Prospects card Kevin Brown. "Pros & Prospects" -- well, that's a catch-all phrase. It's like "Bed, Bath and Beyond." With a name like that, you had better sell everything.

A 2009 Topps Chrome refractor card of James McDonald. I have the regular, refractor and xrefractor recipes. Just need that beautiful blue refractor (yeah, I know there's gold and red, etc., etc., but I'm not a high roller).

Oooh, a 1997 Donruss Limited card of Hideo Nomo, with a baseball in the background that looks like it was designed by Liberace. Sparkly! The back features a photo of the Indians' Charles Nagy (the reason for, the Counterparts heading). The ball behind Nagy is a dull, lifeless gray. So we know whose card this is.

OK, here we go with the Kemp card. Beardy knows how to find that gap in the collection. I've got the Bowman Chrome version of this 2007 card, but somehow hadn't obtained the regular Bowman card yet. Sweet.

There was not a single moment of doubt, was there? Beardy comes through again! I'm hesitant to ask how many packs of Icons he bought to get this. Icons gets insanely boring after just a couple of packs. But I know Beardy likes eBay shopping, so maybe that's where it originated.

All I know is, I'm woefully behind in finding an Oriole relic to send. I'm starting to think they just don't make them. There must be a ban in place somewhere. Have I mentioned pulling four Angels relics this year? I even came up short of finding O's at the recent card show.

That will be rectified soon. I can feel it. I probably have a better chance of landing a Markakis auto than winning Beady's holiday custom card contest. I have marginal artistic ability, but my lack of computer knowledge combined with laziness most likely will sabotage anything I attempt. I do have a cool idea. Will I actually get off my lazy ass? That IS the question, isn't it?
At least I can answer one question. According to the poll, this is the best Don Sutton card of the 1970s. I have to say, I agree. Thanks for the input.

Comments

Kevin said…
I'll admit to not being any kind of authority on the mid-90s Dodgers, but did anyone really consider the 34-year-old Greg Gagne to be "shortstop of the future"? If so, it's amazing that the team performed as well as they did.
Two Packs A Day said…
great kemp cards!

No matter what the BBWAA said on Tuesday, Kemp is my 2009 NL MVP!
night owl said…
I guess I was being flip, Kevin. By "shortstop of the future," I meant that the Dodgers had just acquired Gagne when the card was produced and were preparing to install him at short.
beardy said…
I purchased exactly TWO packs of Icons (total... ever), and from the first one pulled that Kemp relic.

I knew just what to do with it. For some reason I excel at pulling Dodgers hits. There's still a Blake DeWitt auto around here somewhere.
opoohwan said…
Happy Thanksgiving!