Skip to main content

The goal is always 100%

 
The operator of the Number 5 Type Collection blog, Matthew, is touring The National in Cleveland as I write this.

But before he went there, he happened upon a free box of 1980s cards and asked if anyone could use any. My '80s wants are slim as I've completed nearly everything I'm interested in for that decade, as far as large sets.

But one set immediately popped in my mind because I'm so aware of how inadequate it is compared to other '80s sets in my collection.

I requested whatever 1983 Donruss cards he could spare, stressing I needed more than 80 percent so no worries about dupes.

I soon received 13 cards from the set, a little dinged in a corner on most but I don't think it'll be a concern when building the set. There was a note that accompanied the cards:


OK, me, too! That's always the goal: 100 percent needs, 100 percent completion. So let's see if that was accomplished.
 


Bill Almon

NEED? Yes.
Donruss factoid you'd never see today: "Lost his regular SS job with Chisox last year in mid-season."
Total number of player's cards now in collection: 32
Status: 1-for-1



Dave Beard

NEED? Yes.
Example of poor Donruss predicting: "A's took to him as a future 'Goose Gossage'". Goose Gossage was in quotes like Donruss didn't really believe what it was writing either.
Total number of player's cards now in my collection: 10.
2-for-2
 
 

Darrell Evans
 
NEED? Yes.
Just getting started: Donruss notes that Evans hit double figures in home runs for a 12th straight season in 1982. That streak would go to 19 straight all the way to the end of his career.
Total number of player's cards now in my collection: 55.
3-for-3
 
 

Ken Griffey
 
NEED? Yes.
Donruss factoid you'd never see today: "Bothered by knee and hamstring injuries much of '82 and had problems adjusting to a new league."
Total number of player's cards now in my collection: 58.
4-for-4


Jay Howell
 
NEED? Yes.
Donruss takes me back in time: Write-up mentions that Jay Howell was placed into starting rotation as soon as he joined the Yankees on Aug. 31, 1982. Howell would start 12 games in 1983 and then just one more for the rest of his career as he was a full-time reliever from 1984-94.
Total number of player's cards now in my collection: 90.
5-for-5
 
 

Matt Keough
NEED? Yes.
Donruss factoid you'd never see today: "Tied a major league record by losing 14 straight games in '79."
Total number of player's cards now in my collection: 19.
6-for-6
 


Davey Lopes
 
NEED? NO. (The dream is dead!)
Thanks for reminding me Donruss: Lopes was traded to the A's for infielder Lance Hudson, who made it as high as Double A Glens Falls with the Tigers in 1988.
Will still do the total card counter: 101.
6-for-7
*Sigh*


Dave McKay
 
NEED? Yes.
Sign of the Times: Donruss says "Is one of the few Canadian-born players in baseball." There are 25 Canadian-born players in MLB this year. There were five in 1982.
Total number of player's cards now in my collection: 13.
7-for-8
 


Dwayne Murphy
 
NEED? Yes.
Sometimes you've just got to admire the player: All of the facts on the back of Murphy's card are pretty darn good and not enough people remember how cool that A's outfield was in the early 1980s.
Total number of player's cards now in my collection: 34.
8-for-9



Jeff Newman
 
NEED? Yes.
Donruss with a little pre-Studio work: The last line in Newman's write-up on the back says he "enjoys photography."
Total number of cards of this player in my collection: 19.
9-for-10
 


Bob Owchinko
 
NEED? Yes.
Pointless fact from Donruss: "Was also 3rd on staff in saves." Eyes travel north to see that Owchinko saved 3 games in 1982.
Total number of cards of this player in my collection: 16.
10-for-11
 
 

Andre Robertson
 
NEED? NO.
Donruss dupes serve a purpose: When I discovered that this was a dupe, I remembered I had put this in another online cart to buy. This card saved me an unneeded purchase!
Will still do the total card counter: 12.
10-for-12



Rick Sutcliffe
 
NEED? Yes.
Donruss factoid I didn't know but probably knew in 1982: "Hits 1st major league homer 5/25/79 off Tom Seaver."
Total number of cards of this player in my collection: 61.
11-for-13

So, maybe not 100 percent hits, but I added 11 cards to the set. With 136 total cards I'm at just 20.6 percent and in no hurry to chase the other 80 percent down. I am a lot closer to finishing 1985 Donruss and 1987 Fleer and should focus on those "easier" set builds.
 
But I think this will get me to list my 1983 Donruss needs on TCDB and finally post my 1982 Donruss extras as trade bait.

My 1983 Donruss totals used to consist of the single pack of cards I bought in 1983 and the Dodgers. So this is progress and the goal is still very much alive.

Comments

1984 Tigers said…
That 83 set was kind of a hidden gem. I liked the card layout and backs but admit I focused first on Topps and then Fleer. Judging from the dupes in my baseball 3200 count boxes, I probably bought no more than a box and a half. I did however end up with a few dupes of the Trio (Sandberg, Gwynn, Boggs). I had to fill this set with card show pickups.

Enjoy the slow build.

When I retired three years ago after 35 years of work in industry, as part of my retirement slide deck, I quoted an Irish proverb "may you get all your wishes but one, so that you always have something to strive for."

Consider 83 Donruss that one thing to strive for...someday :>)
Grant said…
I like how you mentioned "Donruss factoid you'd never see today". So true. Card companies had more bite back then and now it's soooo saccharine. They're probably fearful of players, agents, and the MLBPA clapping back on X for any kind of innocuous criticism.
One thing is for sure, the bat in the logo is really barreling up the ball.
Old Cards said…
A thorough and detailed post about 11 cards added to a 20% completed set. Add patience to your list of virtues!
I'm sure I have a box of 83' Donruss somewhere out in the garage. :)
Brett Alan said…
The white A's uniforms of that era were very nice.
Doc Samson said…
I remember ‘83 Donruss well. It was definitely a second banana to ‘83 Topps in terms of popularity. Many were disappointed that it was basically a carbon copy of ‘82 Donruss (including myself.) ‘83 Fleer was a distant third.

Not go off on a tangent, but 1983 Fleer was actually one of the most overproduced sets of all time. Dealers everywhere kept lowering and lowering the price of a pack until it became absurdly low. But ‘83 Fleer was noteworthy for one reason: it used the team logo on the front.
Fuji said…
I definitely remember how cool that A's outfield was in the early 1980s! Murphy was my second favorite player behind Rickey.
Jon said…
I would've thought that this was a set that you'd have already completed years ago.