Skip to main content

Circling back

 
Blog readers appear to be on vacation this week, which is fine, it's where I want to be.

I don't want to put too much effort into a post today anyway, so I just have a follow-up from a post from a few months ago.

Back then I was updating my progress on the Ron Cey MSA discs from 1976-77. The joy of collecting those is certainly not the fronts, with every one basically the same, Cey's hat black as night and a generic vibe you could pick up from yards away thanks to the blazing yellow edges (it was the '70s).
 
No, the goodness is on the back.
 
 
I showed off nine versions on that post. I've since added two more. I wanted to have more by this point, but I get distracted by so much card stuff and some of the variations aren't easy to find.

Here are the two I've added:



Towne Club Pop Centers.



And Holiday Inn.

So that brings me to 11.

If I add the smaller Wiffle Ball disc in my collection, that's a full dozen.
 



But there are too many differences between the Wiffle Ball disc and all the others for me to feel comfortable lumping them together. Also I have a Burger Chef Cey disc that is the same Wiffle Ball size. It's part of a team panel that I don't want to separate, so I really should get an individual Burger Chef Cey.

Anyway, if I add the Wiffle Ball Cey, this is what all the backs look like:


That's really cool, really '70s and in some cases makes the kid in me come alive because he remembers a lot of these places, or something similar, and wants to go there right now ... or at least play wiffle ball in the back yard at 6 Chadwick Road again.

As for the full-size discs, there are six more backs to get for The Penguin. I showed them in that previous post. They seem like the more difficult ones to find but hopefully I can stay attentive and spot some in the months to come. I don't know how often they pop up (they're all sold out on COMC and not on ebay right now).

So that's where I am. I'll have another update when I make more progress.

And -- if you're reading this on Saturday -- NOW I am on vacation!

Comments

Grant said…
The Crane Potato Chips is my favorite back and also has a distinctive front, like the Holiday Inn. How would one acquire a disc from a hotel anyway? Rent a room?
Oh Jen, you shouldn't have, lol. That does look nice. I probably only have a couple of a couple of Braves and maybe 4 for Hank Aaron but he is a Brewer. I did add a handful to my comc order that is expected in September, ugh.
RE: those places other than these discs, the Holiday Inn is the only one I have ever heard of.
GCA said…
We're still on the same wavelength. I was just listing the other backs that I need for my player collections a couple weeks ago. Though I have twelve different guys in the '76 sets, and ten in the '77s.
carlsonjok said…
I have an almost complete set if Isaly's (lost one to a puppy) and probably need to complete it again. I looked and I have the blank backed Cey.
Kevin said…
Why didn’t a professional all-pitch league put out discs of their own players?
?
Nick said…
These discs are one of the extreme few things I willfully ignore as a player collector. I can never figure out a good way to store/display circular cards, and the 365 different back variations would drive me insane.

Still, I can only dream of what it'd be like if this many different restaurants/brands/general retail establishments issued their own cards!
Fuji said…
Love the backs almost as much as I enjoy the front of the card. Love the different designs and color schemes. Crane and Chilly Willee are my favorites.

Enjoy your vacation!
Jon said…
It sounds like this is a much needed vacation. Here's hoping that you're able to get the most out of it!
gregory said…
So many great discs there, with so many fonts and colors and logos! What a fun time to be a young collector, right?