Skip to main content

The best buybacks are ones I don't have to buy

 
By my quick calculating card blogging is at its lowest point in terms of frequency and number since my first few months of blogging.

I counted about 12 card blogs now that write at least 5 days a week. Then there are around 50 card blogs that write less than that -- a few times a week, once a week, a couple times a month.

So that's maybe 65 blogs that write about cards at least once a month. The amount of former card bloggers that I know is five times that amount. This means interaction is down and that's a bummer, but the good part is everyone -- card bloggers and former card bloggers and definitely non-card bloggers -- still collect cards. And they also (*phew*) still remember who I am.
 
I received a major reminder of that last week and I'm still getting to that later in the week, but here is an appetizer:
 

These are 1975 buybacks -- all needs -- from Cardboard Catastrophes (who is still blogging, thankfully). 
 
Jeffrey's a Yankees fan, and he guessed that it was difficult for me to get Yankees buybacks. He is correct. When I was chasing down these Heritage buybacks a couple months ago, it was a little upsetting. You would not believe how much one guy wanted for the Jim Mason card. JIM MASON! Nobody bought his card, so it was relisted and I thought "oh good, it'll be cheaper." Nope. Still Wild and Unreasonable!
 
The Mel Stottlemyre was going for a lot more than when I was searching for buybacks before 2024 Heritage came out, too. And the Roy White was in my clutches early in my Heritage buyback pursuit before I didn't pay attention one day and the auction expired. Cliff Johnson and Carmen Fanzone were also noticed in my chase but I didn't get to them.
 
So was Cardboard Catastrophes my competition? His note led me to believe he found these as a lot, so probably not.
 
Anyway, yes, I'm definitely glad I don't have to chase these anymore and certainly glad I didn't have to pay those prices.
 
The next group of recent '75 buybacks arrived from former blogger and good friend grogg  (@grogg.bsky.social). We go back a ways to the early blog days.


Yeah. 
 
He said he opened a whole lot of 2024 Heritage and that it was tons of fun. It sounds like it!

Those are a lot of buybacks to accumulate all at once. Unfortunately, I have a lot of '75 buybacks. I've been on this particular collecting journey for seven years, you know. So most of these are dupes (yeah, yeah, I know Topps wants you to think that these are entirely separate cards from their previous '75 buybacks, but there's no way I'm that gullible).

So this is what was new to me:


Just two cards. But they're two really good ones!!

I was following a Parker buyback on ebay but that got to be too much money. I did notice an Oliver one, too, but stopped paying attention early when I noticed I wouldn't have a shot.

So I have a fair amount of buyback dupes available. I don't show any favoritism as far as buyback stamps (there are about 5 or 6 different ones in my '75 collection). I'll probably pick the card that's in better shape to go in the binder.

This gift send has gotten me to 516 of the 1975 cards in buyback form, which is 78.1% of the whole set. I'm also now able to fit my entire buyback want list on one screen so I can get a screen grab.


I'm actually stunned that this adds up to 144 needed cards, which would match with the 516 I have. I didn't expect that.

A reminder that this is still a pretty casual pursuit. I don't expect to get every card. The whole mission from the very beginning was "let's see how far I can go" and I never expected to get this far.
 
If I was really serious about this I'd be on ebay every day fighting with people.
 
And, really, all I want to do is collect. And write.

Comments

I know where that dupe Braves card can go :).
Chris said…
I've noticed the lack of blogging too, it's so low that I scrapped plans for another major team-a-day project.

Also there are *at least* ten readers who only read/comment on your blog. They probably don't even follow Nick, Fuji, or anyone else.
Old Cards said…
I am one of the ten that only read/comment on your blog. I wasn't aware that Nick or Fuji had a blog. I do enjoy Fuji's comments. He seems like such a nice guy. I particularly like you blog because you include vintage fairly often. Fighting with people on Ebay is such a great description of buying cards online now days. Prices are way too high in my opinion. Hoping someday the hobby returns to only those who love it just to have the cards not because of their value. I know. It's wishful thinking.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Yeah I try to blog weekly but I've given up on it always being a card post. I do try and comment where and when I can though. I can't believe you're almost at 80% on these. I seem to recall a post about the different buyback stamps but am not sure if I'm hallucinating it.
Matt said…
I remember the days of blogging every day, those were the good ones.

I am lucky now to do 10 posts a month.

But,as you said, it's sad to see how many have left and the fact there is rarely new posts on my reading list anymore. Maybe I need to expand that list, not sure.

I think a lot have forgotten about me as I am trying to establish cards over coffee. Sport Card Collectors is completely forgotten about and dead in the water.
Fuji said…
A. I've only averaged 5 posts per week once out of 15 years of blogging. But I am guilty of posting less. I actually have plenty to write about... just not a lot of free time during the school year. Now that I'm on summer break, I am planning on writing at least two (or more) posts per week over the next four weeks.

B. Nice pair of Pirates.
Michael Ott said…
I wonder if Topps would consider validating the authenticity of privately owned cards by stamping on request (for a nominal fee)
Matt said…
I try my hardest to put out 2 or 3 a week. Granted, one is always a silly little haiku that doesn't contribute much to the blogging community aside from the occasional fun trivia, but still... As for the rest of you bloggers: I don't care if it's daily, weekly monthly, or yearly - I enjoy hearing from you!
GCA said…
My posting has ground to a few times a month for sure. Sometimes I get several ideas at once and only end up posting a few of them. I should set up a white board and write down the more obscure ideas that I tend to forget about. I imagine most of them fall out of relevance.

The Al Oliver autograph from '24 Heritage uses that same photo...
Grant said…
I'd read more card blogs, but sadly, many of them are terrible. Yours is the best, N.O., and you post the most often so there's plenty of content. Nice Cobra!
Jon said…
From what I've been able to gather from the blogs, old grogg must've opened up a case or two to have gotten all of those buybacks. I can't imagine being into a modern set that much to want spend that kind of money on it.