Skip to main content

My National and my National thoughts

 
I often take a vacation around the same time that the National is taking place, yet my vacation never involves going to the National. Why is that?

Well, I've explained it several times already but my thoughts are always worth updating on this thing.
 
Since the vacation and the National often coincide, I usually have some extra time to follow along with what's going on at the National. I do enjoy seeing pictures of all the card displays and the cards that people pick up. And, this time, I really appreciated people like TheWalkingDeadSaga (aka, Eric) and Batboy Glidden (aka, Matthew) displaying their magnificent card acquisitions (like 1952 Mantle kind of magnificent) on Twitter.
 
I especially appreciated it because as a collector that's what I want to see, spectacular cards I'd never see anywhere else and to share in the joy of fellow collectors' acquisitions. And that's what it seems like I'm seeing less and less of every year.

As far as Twitter folks going to the National this time, it seems like they were more interested in showing off ... themselves ... and their buddies. There is a lot of "look who I met" and "the best part of the hobby is the people" and all that. I'm not against anyone making friends but I'm mostly in this hobby to see and find cards. I've got friends, I've got people to talk to, I'm not much of an extrovert, I don't need legions of people or a card posse -- they'll get in the way of me finding cards at the National! For me, a card show is not supposed to be a social mixer. I don't really care who you met, I'd like to see the cards you met.
 
Besides, showing off the people there reminds me of what is sure to be my least favorite part of the National. Consider these two tweets from noted attendees that appeared almost back-to-back:
 
 

OK, no thank you to both of those. Each of them are an excuse to hyperventilate. My time in public these days is usually consistent reinforcement of how people don't know how to act in public anymore. I have a feeling there is a lot of that at the National, if the constant references to lack of grooming habits is any indication.
 
The National is the most populated card show of the year. I loathe crowds, and people hovering around me -- very large people with very large backpack/suitcase objects -- while I look through a 50-cent box would probably send me screaming outside. 
 
Now, if I lived a couple hours away from the National, I'd be there. That's just dumb not to go if you're that close. But to book a flight or drive 11 hours to get there, book a hotel, spend all that money, and then spend all that money on parking, admittance, whatever perks, and the cards you want -- I better enjoy myself every second that I'm there.  

Besides, there are other people I'd rather see than folks I communicate with online on occasion. Sure, those other people are not collectors, but they need to be acknowledged.

While the National was National-ing, I went to see my daughter. The last time I visited she mentioned that there was a card shop close by. I tried to go last time but it was closed.

This time it was open. I never know what I'll find at new card shops. A lot of them have been disappointments. I keep hearing about shops that feature discount boxes and the like, but I haven't spotted many of those. I just don't live in an area populated by hobby shops.

But I walked in with about an hour to spare and quickly found quarter boxes, 50-cent boxes and dollar boxes. I had dropped my wife off at the massive shopping mall and told her I'd return in an hour. I found out that wasn't nearly enough time, but I cut myself off anyway. Hopefully I saved some cards for the next time. There certainly were enough of them.

This is what I fished out:


Some very welcome Kershaws. Around about 2016 I started to lose track of all the Kershaws available. There got to be too many and too many Kershaw kollectors, too. So there is a whole backlog to chase, which I'll never catch up to, but at least there are discount boxes to make me feel better about it.
 


Various random Dodgers. There were a lot of Dodgers to find -- but I have a lot of Dodgers already. The '53 Bowman Campanella tribute is from the 1986 Baseball Cards Magazine repli-card series. It's very nice-looking for not being the actual thing.

The Joe DiMaggio-Babe Herman mash-up is from the 2001 UD Legends Of New York set. I'm not sure if these mashups are more difficult to find then the other cards in the set but I'm assuming so because they are the only ones with Dodgers on them that I still need. They have been so unavailable that I thought I was looking at some gold parallel at first.
 


Some 1980s "needs," although only the 1985 Donruss turned out to be needs. I'm not as clear as I think I am on my final 1986 Fleer needs, I just know they're almost all stars. But I bet at least one of the '86s here is an upgrade. That set likes to chip.
 



A couple of other '80s cards that I knew 100 percent were needs because I have so little of each set. The 1983 Donruss Schmidt is off-center, sure, but I'll take that discount every time. The Seaver is from 1984 Traded. I sure do wish I had acquired that set back in the '80s like I did with the '82, '83 and '85 Traded sets, but I was dumb, chasing girls, and didn't care about cards at the time. 



Red Sox! The Mike Andrews I'll bet is an upgrade in my 1970 Topps set. The David Ross is just a plain cool card and I got the gold version!
 
I also grabbed a couple of other cards that I know a couple of other fellow collectors will enjoy. They be surprises.



Once the hour was up, I sent my wife a text that I'd be there in 15 more minutes. I walked toward the counter to pay up and that's when I spotted a binder filled with cards that were a dollar each. The first page contained two Mookies I didn't have and, dammit, now I need to be here another hour!

But I must be getting old because I closed the binder without much resistance from my brain. The two guys running the shop that day were both significantly younger than me, probably both in their 20s (it looked like the owner was going over some inventory off to the side). That was good because sometimes old shop guys can be ornery/obnoxious/hard-sellers. These guys were pleasant. But, of course, they spent the time I was there talking about stuff I don't care about (did you see what that Ohtani 10 went for?). Graded, graded, graded and more graded. It's great that younger folks are collecting cards but sometimes I get concerned about what the hobby is going to look like in 20 years.
 
There is a lot of graded cards and grading talk at the National. It's all over the place -- I don't know the percentage but there's got to be at least 50 percent of the National that I don't care about at all.
 
The card shop was much more my speed. I had room to roam, cards to find, the place was air-conditioned (unlike the National) and not one single annoyance.
 
This doesn't mean I'll never go to the National. Next year's event is in Cleveland and the last time it was in Cleveland (2018), I actually considered going until I realized the dates conflicted with shipping my kid off to college.
 
So if my first trip there happens, it could happen next year.
 
But if it doesn't, it won't matter. I know there are other card things -- and noncard things -- that are much more my speed.

Comments

It might come to the point where "raw" cards are more scarce than their graded siblings. Imagine!
Doc Samson said…
Thank you for sharing your experiences, Mr. Owl. I definitely think that Ebay has had an impact on The National’s attendance. I myself haven’t gone since before the pandemic.

I remember one year I got a Carlton Fisk rookie card for about $5. It was actually in very good shape. I celebrated in the convention hall by buying a hot dog, a bag of chips and a soda for like $6. The celebration meal cost more than the card! Good times.
Brett Alan said…
There are card shops in my area, but I've yet to find any with any cards under a dollar!
1984 Tigers said…
One and only trip to the National was July 1981 (2nd ever NSCC). It was held about 7 miles from my house in nearby Detroit suburb of Plymouth. Huge attendance as the 81 strike didn't dampen enthusiasm, unlike the 94 strike. Rode my 10 speed each day (weather was nice) and had a lunch bag to carry cards home. Was getting ready for going off to college that fall nearby at U of Mich.

Best buy was a 68 Mantle in probably exmt to NM condition by today's standard for about 3 bucks, plus a slew of 73 highs. Worst purchase was 1 dollar from one of the sets (don't remember if Topps or fleer or donruss) for Charlie Lea rookie who had pitched a no hitter and was pitcher of the month in May before the strike started in June. Could buy that one for 25 cents today. Needed him and a few others to fill my 81 sets. Pete rose rookie was selling for about 50 bucks and they had a counterfeit example at the show for comparison so you knew if you bought one it was the real deal.

Don't feel bad night owl on missing the 84 update. Felt it was cheap taste to charge me 10 bucks for more cards when I could buy 792 card set for 15 to 20. Didn't buy the update till 85.

As for date spending vs cards, not sure if I was in the right or wrong in the mid 80s but had a friend in my engineering class who got to date one of our cuter classmates. He was so jacked that he got a date with her. He said it was a fun night but she was open about dating and had gone to other events with 2 other classmates and wasn't interested in having one steady boyfriend. My friend said I could probably get a date with her, but after I found out he spent about 30 bucks in one night (a lot of dating money in 1985), told I wasn't interested in getting into a 4-man rotation. Figured for the same 30 bucks I could get the 72 highs Bobby Murcer + IA as well as about 20 more common highs for what he spent in 1 night! Later met and married a local gal who let me go to shows while I dropped her off at a big mall. Been married to her for 30 years and still have my huge card collection.

Paul t

1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

Do you know if they made a Kershaw of him on the Great Lakes Loons? When he started in the dodgers organization I wasn't into buying minor league cards or sets. If they did make a team set, that one might be valuable today. Around 2007 or 08 when he pitched here in Midland.

Paul t
night owl said…
Yes, there are cards of Kershaw with the Great Lakes Loons, both minor league team set issues and from companies like Tri-Star. I have one of the Tri-Star cards.
Matt said…
I would share pics if I was there of cards, but for me being an introvert with no friends I would
Be all about meeting the people I consider my friends across the blogosphere and twitter. Especially since I don’t have the finances
Zippy Zappy said…
Honestly for me the biggest draw for card shows were the autograph guests but now that I don't really want to pay for the privilege to spend hours waiting in line to see someone write their name, I don't really have any desire or reasons to go. Especially since my interests are too niche to really be found outside concentrated searches on eBay anyway.
I still do go to the odd card-shop every once in a full moon though, just because you can't go wrong with supply runs.
Nick Vossbrink said…
The idea of paying for a card show is so weird to me. I kind of get it for the showcase as museum thing but yeah I'd rather spend that money on cards. I *could* be tempted by a good autograph lineup though.
Nick said…
I plan on putting a National recap up at the blog at some point this coming week, but I echo a lot of what you said here. It's a fantastic-but-overwhelming experience that highlights the best and the worst parts of the hobby. Cards are definitely better at The National, but it seems like you have to dig harder to find the good stuff. (And pass table after table of slabs.)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see card shows as a social event. I wasn't at The National to meet people. Probably the introvert in me speaking here, but I have a hard time being social regardless...much less when I'm trying to dig through a dime box.
Fuji said…
I wish my LCS had 25¢, 50¢, and dollar boxes. If they did... I'd go there more than once or twice a year... like I do right now.

As for the National... I'd love to see it come out west. That's probably the only way I'll attend until maybe retirement.
Anonymous said…
'84 Traded Seaver FTW.
Laurens said…
I get jealous when collectors from around the country make The National their social event to rub elbows with each year, show off who they know, et al.

On the other hand, I'm still about the pure card show experience, roaming around and digging around for miscellaneous cards - probably indulging in paying a big money fee to get one or two legendary level athletes to take five seconds of their time to scribble for me.
GCA said…
I'm with you and Nick ~ didn't meet anyone new. Wouldn't have minded running into John Mangini from YouTube, but after that...eh.

I'll try to post some highlights from my Michigan shop tour and National hauls, but they won't be comprehensive. After I finally found my '64 Bob Uecker (twice) and saw five more after that, I was off on a mostly vintage run ('57s and '62s).

There was a lot more show to cover, but a lot of the additional space was for breakers, graders, and slabbers, etc. None of which I care about in the least. I didn't make a count, but it didn't seem like the ratio of slabs to raw card tables had increased much from previous years, but it probably did a little.

Attending Cleveland is leaning towards no at this point, but if you're coming that might push it the other way.
carlsonjok said…
I went to the National in 2018, when it was in Cleveland, and I will likely go again next year when it is back there. My family is there, so it is a multi-purpose trip.
Jon said…
I balk at the thought of even paying a couple of dollars to get into a show, so it's kind of hard for me to wrap my head around just how much I'd have to spend getting there, staying a night or two, and then paying the entry fee. And I really don't think I'd find enough to justify all of the expense, and hassle, to travel all that way.