Skip to main content

Junk wax favorites

 
I resolved to do this post about a month ago when Dime Boxes listed some of what he considers the worst of the junk wax era.

I ranked my least favorite from this time way back in the blog's early days, so this time I wanted to list what my favorites from 1987-93 are. You probably already know most of them -- I'm not exactly quiet on my card favorites -- but this post is also to counter all the praise for traditional favorites like 1987 Topps and 1989 Upper Deck. I can be contrarian and those two sets were never my favorites when I was buying packs during that time. (Didn't even see '89 UD).
 
So I'm listing seven of my faves for posterity. Why seven? Because I consider the junk wax era to have lasted seven years, 1987-93. I can't comfortably squeeze 1986 and 1994 into that span, based on my experience of that time.

Here is a very quick run through.


1. 1993 Upper Deck: You should know this by now. I'm writing a blog about it and everything. I don't know of another set where every card seems to be completely unique.
 


2. 1990 Upper Deck: I bet you didn't see that one coming. 1990 UD is the only set on this list that didn't immediately appeal to me when it came out. But over time I grew to appreciate it and I now consider the improvement from 1989 UD one of the largest in card history. 



3. 1991 Topps: Once overlooked, I don't think it is anymore. I've written a magazine article on this set and the research I did for it made me appreciate it even more. This was Topps attempting to be Upper Deck and a good example why competition is healthy.



4. 1992 Stadium Club: This is the first Stadium Club set I saw. I didn't collect any of it in 1991. For that reason, I like the confined Stadium Club logo in '92 better than the blue racing stripe in '91, which just seems to go on forever on the horizontal cards. I'd try to complete this set but 1) It's huge; 2) Forget about buying a box, the cards are probably bricked; 3) There are far too many head shots of guys who didn't go anywhere.



5. 1988 Topps: 1988 Topps is better than 1987 Topps. I will die on that cardboard hill that will consist of all my 1988 dupes. I find it more colorful, more dynamic in the way the design and photo overlap, simply more fun. I don't know what anyone is thinking when they say this set is boring. Here's what I find boring: wood paneling.



6. 1992 Pinnacle: I was taken by this set the moment I saw it. Slick, black-bordered cards, who had ever heard of such a thing? Much like '88 Topps and another set you'll see in a moment, I like the interplay between the photo and the design.


Although I don't think they did a great job with that foot cut-out.



7. 1992 Topps: Another set that I like more and more. I should probably just part with the $15 and get the whole set. It looks more attractive to me as the years pass.

So that's seven. If I was making it a traditional top 10, I'd let Score into the party. Both '88 and '91 would probably go in. I also like 1993 Score, but it might have to wrestle with '92 Upper Deck for the last spot.

There are other junk wax sets I enjoy. I have completed several after all. 1987 Topps is fine, but I couldn't rank it higher than maybe 15th on any favorites list from this period.

So there you are, something good to say about the Junk Wax/Over Production Era. It's not that hard if I leave out Donruss.

Comments

Yeah, hard to argue with 93 Upper Deck. I also like the designs of 93 Donruss and 93 Pacific Spanish, but neither set has anything approaching the great photo selection of 93 UD.
Chris said…
I guess you had an affinity for 1992 sets, which is interesting to me because of the one you *didn't* mention. As a kid, 1992 Fleer Ultra was the most appealing set I'd seen to that point. It was so much more interesting to me that Stadium Club or Upper Deck. '93 UD is fantastic, and would be in my top three for that era.

Quick list of sets I loved from 87-93: '88 Fleer, '89 Score, '89 Donruss, '90 Upper Deck, '91 Topps, '91 Upper Deck, '92 Topps, '92 Ultra, '93 Bowman, '93 Donruss, '93 Flair, '93 SP, '93 Ultra, '93 Upper Deck

Never liked but collected anyway: '88 Donruss, '89 Fleer, '89 Topps, '90 Donruss, '90 Topps, '91 Fleer, '92 Leaf, '93 Pinnacle, '93 Score
1984 Tigers said…
This was the stretch of years (87 to 93) where I went from buying 3, then 4 (score 88), then 5 by 1989 with UD. Then the wheels came off in 90. The Leaf set was the beginning of the end with cards that seemed to be the "hot" set of the year. It's when I began to lose interest in the hobby buying enough to fill almost 2 sets of each brand to throwing up my hands when 1990 Leaf didn't (I believe) even give a MSRP. 1991 was the finally when I dumped about 150 total into one box each of 1991 series 1 and 2 Leaf only to see them selling for under 30 each after the strike. For 1992, I only bought UD, though I did like the change topps made to the white backs. In 93 I bought UD but never bothered to complete the set.

As for faves in no particular order. 87 and 88 fleer, 89 UD, 90 UD, 91 topps and UD. The hobby sales of new products peaked in 1991 at a bit over a billion. By 92, too many brands and chase cards left a lot of people only buying certain sets.

Good news is that I started a multi year project on 61 to 67 topps sets with the money I wasn't blowing on boxes at 80 bucks a piece for the "premium" products.

Paul t
GTT said…
1992 TSC boxes aren't bricked, actually. In 2017 my baby sitter gave me two boxes of 92 TSC her brother used to have, which I opened. Either zero or minimal bricking.
Mark K. said…
My favorite set from that era, not mention in your list, is the 1991 Leaf Studio. I liked the B&W photos and the photos seem to capture a different side of the players. I personally prefer the 1991 Stadium Club over the 1992 version and consider the 1993 Upper Deck my third favorite junk wax set.
Anonymous said…
The 1993 Upper Deck really has astonishingly good photography and a bright, appealing design. Funny enough, I only bought a couple of packs of it when it came out back then. I think the departure from the traditional Upper Deck design threw me for a loop. Thank you for your posts on it and your 93 UD blog! Really helped me appreciate it in hindsight.

I also agree with you on 92 Topps, which I happened to open a lot of. One thing I loved about it, which is rarely mentioned, are the photos of the stadiums on the back. Man, what a fascinating window into the broader world of baseball for me as a kid. A lot of iconic photographs of great players, too.
Doc Samson said…
The wise owl has spoken again. Hard to argue with any set here. I personally have one obscure junk wax set I truly adore: 1989 Donruss Best. Although more of a partial set, the design is stellar with the green and black borders, the monster team logo and some very solid photography, decidedly better than the 1989 flagship Donruss set. And if you ever wanted see a set that displays well in a binder and sheets, this is the one, brothers and sisters.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Can't argue against any of those choices. I'd probably have forced in 1991 Score (checklist reasons more than design) and 1991 Studio (photography) in my list but yeah your seven are all great.
Fuji said…
I feel like this would be an interesting Blog Bat-Around topic. Time is a luxury I currently don't have... but I'm going to rank my favorites eventually.
Benjamin said…
Nice post and sound reasoning on your picks.

I dislike Topps 88 greatly (and am no fan of 87 either), so there I would humbly swap in another 1993 set...either Fleer, Flair or Donruss.

But I agree that Topps 91 and 92 are great sets, Pinnacle 92 is a winner, UD 93 is of course classic, and nothing from Donruss deserves to be here except 93 (also I don't mind 92, though I know Mr. Owl hates it). Score 88 is worthy but none of their others from this time frame.
gregory said…
I agree with Fuji on the bat-around idea. Might have to start working on some rankings over here, too. Maybe top-7 and bottom-7.
Anonymous said…
The fleer 91 set was ugly yellow. Bought the boxes to get the all stars more than anything. Then went with a friend to a show in Chicago early 92 and you could buy as many boxes as you wanted for under 10 bucks.

It was during this time that slimy dealers would also search the packs for inserts. One of the inserts (92 fleer rookie sensation?) You could feel the difference if it was on top or bottom of the pack vs a regular card. They supposed fixed that later by including the inserts only in the middle when the trust damage was done.

A friend bought an entire wax box of 89 topps and didn't get any of the big name rookies (Jeffries, sheffield, Abbott, etc.) Who were selling for 3 or 4 bucks at the time. Odds were likely that he'd get at least one, but the stories of dealers opening and resealing packs had started to circulate. Which is why 89 UD was a nice upgrade but pricey (over 1 dollar per pack at shows). At least you felt the guy wasn't screening your cards and selling you the riff raff.

Paul t
Nick said…
I just can't get myself to like 1990 Upper Deck as much as I probably should. I think some of it is that I'm a big fan of '91 UD, so the prior year pales in comparison for me. Agree 100 percent on the rest of your picks.