Skip to main content

No scribbles

 
Just a simple post today because where's the time?

I'm waiting for a couple of online orders to arrive, one from COMC and one from sportlots. I placed the sportlots order a number of days after the COMC one but I'm sure I'll see the sportlots order first, as COMC claims they're back but are they really?

The sportlots order contains the Steve Garvey card you see here. I know the image is from the COMC website but the Trading Card Database image of this card is in rough shape.

It's good to get a new Garvey card because they're a bit pesky to acquire as I've mentioned before. So many fans.

He's been pretty accessible these many years after his playing career ended and I was listening to the TTMCast podcast a few days ago in which Garvey was the guest. He was such a pleasant interview as always.

Garvey discussed cards a little bit and mentioned that some of his favorite cards to sign are from 1981 because that's the year the Dodgers won the World Series. He sees those cards all these years later and they evoke moments from that year.

He also talked about the card that he won't sign. I had never heard this story before, probably because I don't actively collect signatures.


He will not sign the 1982 Fleer card of him. He never has.

"Why?" I thought. "Is there something wrong with it?" "What is so terrible about that card?"
 
I was relieved to hear that he has no problem with it.
 
He decided a long time ago never to sign the card. He thought it would be a good idea to someday sign the card -- for the first time -- and raise some money for one of the charities he supports. That time hasn't come yet, apparently.
 
Sometimes people tell him he signed the card for them or that there is an '82 Fleer card with his signature and he tells them, "No there isn't." Because he's consciously chosen not to sign that card for years. If there's a signature on it, he didn't sign it, I believe is what he was saying.
 
I looked on ebay just to see if I could find a signed '82 Fleer Garvey card and there wasn't a single one.
 
Anyway, this is probably something autograph fans or Garvey super collectors know already. But I thought it was new and interesting. This is the interview if you want to listen. The Garvey conversation is a little more than 30 minutes in.

Oh, and happy return of baseball! I'll have a post about that soon.

Comments

jacobmrley said…
What a wonderful and bizarre little fact. He picked a good card to not sign as that is a great shot in a set with some decidedly poor photos. Someday soon someone will have a pretty nifty piece of Garvey memorabilia, a true 1/1 from the 80s (whoda thunk it?).
steelehere said…
The day gets even better with #22 resigning for the Dodgers!
It is good to learn something new everyday, and today I doubled up.
Jeff said…
Never particularly cared for Garvey.. but that's kinda awesome actually.
Old Cards said…
Great story. Always thought Garvey had class.
Fuji said…
Garvey isn't just a humanitarian... he's a forward thinker. When the day comes when he decides to do this charity signing, I hope I find out about it. I'd love to buy one of them to support his cause.
Chris said…
I didn't know Garvey chose a particular card and refused to sign it for no other reason than authenticity and value. That's fascinating to me. It's not like he wont sign anything obviously. I was waiting for some kind of personal story about the '82 Fleer card that angered him or something.
Jon said…
Great story. It'll be interesting to see how much the card goes for when he does finally sign one. And hopefully for whoever buys it, he won't just start signing s*** tons of copies after that.
Bo said…
I'm pretty sure I'd heard that story somewhere before, or maybe it was a different player and card. It would be cool if every established player did this.

I did interview the photographer (Steve Babineau) who mentioned this card as a favorite. (And was very complimentary to Garvey as well).
Wow that's interesting. Think if he'd chosen a Topps card to never sign. Demand would be even higher.
Brett Alan said…
No, I don't want no scribbles, a scribble is a guy who can't get no nibble from me....
Jafronius said…
Interesting Garvey story...and baseball being back is great...except for that 12 team playoff and universal DH.