Skip to main content

30 teams, 2022 edition

 
It is one week until Opening Day.
 
There are two traditions on this blog that happen around this time. This is the first.
 
I actually try to time the "30 teams" post around the beginning of spring training -- end of February/start of March -- but last year I forgot this post entirely. In order to make up for it, I posted the 2021 edition at the end of August, so I've been holding off on publishing the 2022 post to give my rankings time to change.
 
But six months isn't that much time to see the rankings move. The only significant baseball moment to happen during that time is the postseason and, well, you all know I already don't like the Braves and Astros.
 
Before I get to the ranking, I wanted to briefly follow up on my last post about 2022 Heritage. There actually are horizontal cards of individual players in this year's Heritage, Topps hasn't totally dropped the ball. There are 20 of them in the set. That's similar to the number in 1973 Topps, which had 29, keep in mind Heritage is just 500 cards (until the high numbers).
 
I'm not so sure any of them pay tribute to the famed horizontal cards in the set, but here's a look at all of them, thanks to TCDB:
 




















The Dominic Smith sort of looks like the '73 Willie Stargell card and the Miguel Sano is somewhat similar to the '73 George Scott, but, yeah, there is no Pat Corrales dead at home plate or Mets masquerading as Astros in the outfield on any of this year's Heritage.

To somewhat continue the Heritage discussion theme, for the 30 teams post, I thought I would use an interesting horizontal card from the past dozen-or-so years of Topps flagship/update. These are all cards from "the logo era," which began in 2009 when Topps started plastering MLB team logos on its cards.

I wanted to keep the horizontals to action cards only -- no celebrations.
 
So, let's get back on track and review how I rank the teams from my most favorite to the most terribly icky. I've done this almost every year I've written this blog, and way back as a youngster, I used to write down the order on a piece of paper so I would know who to root for each time I watched a game. 

I know some of you desperately need help in this area.
 
Here we go:



1. LOS ANGELES DODGERS (highest ranking: 1st; lowest ranking: 1st)

The Dodgers have Freddie Freeman! Yes, this is one of the reasons why I like them. Getting mad at teams who acquire good players while your team does the exact opposite of what it's supposed to be doing is the very definition of misdirected anger.



2. TORONTO BLUE JAYS (highest ranking: 2nd; lowest ranking: 18th)

The Blue Jays are now my second-favorite team as I sort of predicted the last time I did this post. The most change in this year's ranking is related to whether teams try to field winning teams or not. The Jays are trying and my hope is they win the AL East. (This card would look so much better without the slash over the action).



3. KANSAS CITY ROYALS (highest ranking: 2nd; lowest ranking: 5th)

OK, maybe the Royals aren't trying super hard to produce a winner, but at least they have Zack Greinke back and that's always a reason to watch a team. It's nice they got him away from the Astros, too.



4. BOSTON RED SOX (highest ranking: 2nd; lowest ranking: 7th)

The Red Sox, after deservedly sliding in the ratings the last few years, are on their way back up. They were once my second-favorite team for years. Still not there yet, don't know if they ever will be again.



5. PITTSBURGH PIRATES (highest ranking: 3rd; lowest ranking: 5th)

The Pirates slip a bit because of their miserly ways, but not as much as they should because I still like watching their low-key telecasts.



6. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES (highest ranking: 2nd; lowest ranking: 10th)

Pitchers bunting! I guess we'll never see that on baseball cards again. But we will see dudes in the stands on their cell phones on baseball cards again. Maybe MLB can ban that instead and let pitchers hit.



7. DETROIT TIGERS (highest ranking: 7th; lowest ranking: 13th)

Wooo, Tigers! They're my go-to rooting interest in the AL Central this year -- unless the Royals can get it together. In the past I've had a difficult time paying attention to who was on this team and I fear that still might happen. But maybe if I actively root for them that will change.



8. BALTIMORE ORIOLES (highest ranking: 3rd; lowest ranking: 18th)

After a few years on the rise, the Orioles are sliding back thanks to their willingness to be pounded by the Yankees 28 times a year.



9. OAKLAND ATHLETICS (highest ranking: 4th; lowest ranking: 9th)

So after all that discussion in the offseason about eliminating tanking, the sides come to an agreement and the A's owner immediately gets rid of most of the team's best players. The A's need to get rid of their owner. The A's fall to their lowest spot since I started this on the blog.



10. CLEVELAND GUARDIANS (highest ranking: 6th; lowest ranking: 17th)

We're reached the "I don't care" portion of the ranking. It'll be interesting watching the team with their new nickname but that will wear off soon.


 
11. MINNESOTA TWINS (highest ranking: 9th; lowest ranking: 14th)

Every year since the Metrodome stopped being a thing, I've wanted this team to draw my interest. And then I spend the whole season knowing like 5 players on their team.



12. TEXAS RANGERS (highest ranking: 5th; lowest ranking: 12th)

Corey Seager on the Rangers is weird. But it could've been worse. Clayton Kershaw could have been on the team and then where would I rank this team? Second? Last?



13. SEATTLE MARINERS (highest ranking: 13th; lowest ranking: 20th)

The Mariners are gearing up. I think. They're so far away. They're basically my only hope in the AL West.



14. TAMPA BAY RAYS (highest ranking: 14th; lowest ranking: 23rd)

You've got to hand it to them. Weird-ass stadium. Strange pitching philosophy. Ever-changing roster. But they vex the best of the American League like no other team. Good for them.



15. CHICAGO WHITE SOX (highest ranking: 6th; lowest ranking: 16th)

Never know where to rank this team. Not crazy about them, but sometimes I like them. There are some people who think they're going to face the Dodgers in the World Series this season. I don't see it. But if it happens the White Sox could plunge in next year's rank.


 
16. CINCINNATI REDS (highest ranking: 9th; lowest ranking: 16th)

Another team that would rather tank than try.



17. NEW YORK METS (highest ranking: 16th; lowest ranking: 21st)

Time to face facts and realize that the only time I dislike the Mets is when they're playing the Dodgers. Sure, I really, really dislike them then, but that's only a few times a year.



18. CHICAGO CUBS (highest ranking: 18th; lowest ranking: 25th)

Never been a Cubs fan, but with the team on the slide it kind of comes down to, would I rather watch this game in Wrigley Field or that game in a character-less stadium? Easy choice.


19. MILWAUKEE BREWERS (highest ranking: 10th; lowest ranking: 23rd)

The Brewers have been down in the ratings for years, thanks to some loathesome teams (Fielder, Braun, Gomez) and their playoff history with the Dodgers. Gonna give them a shot this year, because, lordy, is that NL Central ugly.



20. MIAMI MARLINS (highest ranking: 13th; lowest ranking: 20th)

Every time the Mets and Marlins is the only game I can watch, I'm going to wish I still had that MLB.com subscription.



21. WASHINGTON NATIONALS (highest ranking: 19th; lowest ranking: 24th)

Pretty pleased I can go back to ignoring this team.



22. COLORADO ROCKIES (highest ranking: 22nd; lowest ranking: 26th)

Everything you need to know about my opinion of the Rockies is that I discovered I left a team out of my recompiled rankings and I had to go through the list 3 TIMES before I figured out I had left out the Rockies.



23. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS (highest ranking: 6th; lowest ranking: 25th)

That's right, Braves, the Cardinals are ranked ahead of you. Enjoy that bed.



24. LOS ANGELES ANGELS (highest ranking: 24th; lowest ranking: 26th)

I think I've figured out how I can like the Angels more: Sell all my Mike Trout cards!



25. ATLANTA BRAVES (highest ranking: 19th; lowest ranking: 25th)

Bleh.



26. ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS (highest ranking: 26th; lowest ranking: 29th)

I haven't heard one thing about the Diamondbacks during the recent offseason transactions. Hoping this means they have the same fourth-place team.



27. HOUSTON ASTROS (highest ranking: 5th; lowest ranking: 28th)

Carlos Correa is gone. Astros take a step up.



28. SAN DIEGO PADRES (highest ranking: 26th; lowest ranking: 28th)

So now that Fernando Tatis Jr. apparently spends his offseason getting into motorcycle accidents, I've noticed the Face Of Baseball nonsense has stopped.
 


29. SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS (highest ranking: 29th; lowest ranking: 30th)

Joe Panik is a good example of a player who immediately becomes more likeable once he's off the Giants, and also, much like the Winter Warlock, they lose all of their powers once they are no longer evil.
 


30. NEW YORK YANKEES (highest ranking: 28th; lowest ranking: 30th)

Ugh. I watched a Yankees spring training game last weekend and the worst TV announcing combination I can think of -- Michael Kay and Paul O'Neill -- tortured my ears for three innings until I had to stop watching. Must every aspect of their organization be so odious?

All right, I did everything on time this year!

I guess everything's back to normal.

Well, except for that runner-on-second-in-extras thing. And pitchers never getting to bat again. And pitchers not being able to throw 5 innings. And the teams that have no shot on Day 1.

Never mind. Happy rooting! Opening Day is a week away!

Comments

Crocodile said…
Regarding the Twins..."And then I spend the whole season knowing like 5 players on their team." LOL You and I both.
buckstorecards said…
I just realized there was a Heritage horizontal for horizontal trade when the Jays got Tapia for Grichuk.
GTT said…
It's kind of funny to see my favorite team last, and my best friend's favorite team second-to-last.

I do agree that YES's announcers are mediocre.
bbcardz said…
Love these rankings. I agree that is such a shame that some owners are not trying to field competitive teams. And then MLB wonders why they're falling behind in popularity and ratings. Some owners are driving their franchise into the ground and just may take the league with them.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Love this post every year. Always suspense whether or not the Giants will be 30th (for the record if I were doing this I'd have the Yankees and Cardinals permanently glued to the last two spots). Genuine LOL at your Rockies comment. One reason I can't truly hate the Dodgers is that he rest of the division is damn near forgettable.

Also thanks for showing the Heritage horizontals. Those are probably the best cards in the set (homages or not) though there are a couple decent action photos in the others too.

Oh and looking at he cards you chose for the rundown I'm beginning to really hate 2017 for how much of the photo it ruins.
Braves #25 World Series Champions. Dodgers #1. bleh :)
Matt said…
Red Sox in top 5, Yankees last - this list earns my seal of approval!
Fuji said…
I agree with you on the Yankees and the A's changing ownership, but would place the Padres at #2 and the A's at #1.