Skip to main content

As it should be

 
I've always assumed that someone was a bigger Ron Cey card collector than I was.

The Dodgers are a popular team. Cey was a popular player. I know I wasn't the only kid who had his poster hanging from my wall (left side, just over the desk, to the left of my bed). The way he was able to get so much talent out of that body was naturally appealing to a short little guy like me, not that I ever thought that was the reason he was my favorite player.

But as I've gushed about my fanhood over the dozen-plus years of this blog, I've become known as the preeminent Ron Cey fan and card collector, at least among those who read card blogs. Heck, even Cey himself acknowledged my long period of dedication in that birthday card he signed.

So, you know, I now have a reputation to uphold, even as I think someone out there has got to have more and rarer Cey cards than me.

Today, I defended that reputation on Trading Card Database:


I moved into the top spot in terms of all TCDB members who have filed their Ron Cey cards (a narrow group, I admit).

I had almost filed all of my Cey cards but knew there were a few I hadn't gotten to yet. I added a couple more of his cards and that put me tied for the lead with whoever Brendan Barrick is (I need to see what Cey cards he has that I don't).

Then the mail came and that put me over the top.


Card No. 156. ... I NOW HAZ ALL THE CEY CARDZ!

As it should be.

(OK, I don't have all the Cey cards. TCDB says I still don't have 76.6% of his cards, which assuredly are almost exclusively relics, parallels ... and Cubs).

I've mentioned before that I am pretty lax when it comes to picking up relic and autograph cards of Cey. They have to look nice, especially the relics. The 2002 Gold Label relics in particular are among my favorites. I mentioned when someone sent me the Steve Garvey relic that the look is tremendous and I love how you can view the relic front and back.


Yes, congratulations to me indeed.

Now that I'm on top of the heap, I'll need to fight to stay there, you know what those ballplayers say about people trying to knock you off once you're No. 1. I haven't filed my full collection yet, so there may be another Cey or two to add to the list. And I know there's a relic or auto card that I'd like to add.

But staying No. 1 is not a big concern.

I just didn't want to let you guys down.

Comments

gregory said…
Nice job, Night Owl! It's pretty cool to see your name up there on TCDB in the #1 spot. Keep it up!
jacobmrley said…
Ooooo I might have to get me one of those. It would immediately become my second favorite Cey card - behind the classic Goodwin Champions of course.
When you dig into what the other guys have, don't be surprised if you see multiples/dupes. I found that this week. I guess Fuji's post has a lot of hitting the keyboard at TCDB. I spent 40 hrs last week just getting my Braves flagship Topps/Update and it's base parallels entered. I am working on the rest of the Topps Brand base /para's now. I dread loading my inserts. I got side tracked there. Congrats on the number 1 spot for Cey. Now, get all of those dodgies in there. lol.
steelehere said…
Being #1 without chasing Ron Cey’s Cubs and Athletics cards is impressive.
Chris said…
Good job Night owl! Hope you're able to keep that crown for a long time.
Fuji said…
Yee haw! Congratulations Greg!
Mark Hoyle said…
Congrats on being #1
Fantastic! I'm actually surprised it's that close...
Grant said…
That's pretty neat. I can't imagine I'm number one in any player PC.
gcrl said…
nice. i started to enter my garvey collection on tcdb many years ago but never finished. i am sure i am not #1 in garvey cards, but maybe bill russell or davey lopes cards? maybe i'll finish entering and see.
AdamE said…
You made me curious so I checked Virdon. I am ranked #1 with 134 cards and second has 45. I did find that there is a Virdon card I didn't know existed while there. A back variation of the 1986 TCMA card.

I also have 114 cards not even listed in the TCD as well as dozens of team issues I can't identify.
Nick said…
Congrats! I find collections of Cey and other not-quite top-tier guys way more impressive than someone who's accumulated thousands of Cal Ripkens or whatever. Mainly because guys like Cey tend to show up in a small fraction of the sets that Ripken does, and it takes real effort to track them down.
Eric Polk said…
Congrats!!!
Jafronius said…
Belated congrats! Now don't lose the top spot!
Adam Kaningher said…
156 and also a lamp! Definitely worthy of a gold medal.