Skip to main content

All of my favorites

 
Today is one of my favorite days. It's been one of my favorites since 1976, the first year I watched the All-Star Game.

I have posted about the All-Star Game many times, often at this time of year. And I've mentioned many times that I will continue to watch the ASG no matter how much it wanders away from the game I knew as a kid and while growing into adulthood. I am determined to have fun because it's such a favorite of mine.

That's why it bothers me when people say "it's not the same, I won't watch" or "I haven't watched it in 17 years" or "it's boring" or "I watch soccer instead." I want to shake them.

That may seem severe, but think of one of your all-time favorite activities, something you've loved since you were a kid and continue to love. Now imagine someone dismissing that thing that you love. That's the All-Star Game to me.
 
I will do a lot of my favorite things on this day. I'll watch baseball until the very end ("I went to bed after the 5th inning" is another thing that hurts my ears). I'll  root for the National League. I'll eat some of my favorite snacks and drink one of my favorite beers. And maybe I'll page through some of my favorite card sets in between.

One of them is bound to be one of Topps' All-Time Fan Favorites sets. Because I just completed all of them recently.


These were the last cards I needed to finish the 2003 Fan Favorites set. I had wrapped up the '04 and '05 Fan Favorites several years ago. And then I sat on that '03 want list for too long.

These are really wonderful sets and as I've said before, it is the set that helped get me back into modern collecting, along with those 2006 Topps rack packs. While on summer vacation in Buffalo in 2004, wandering through a Kmart that I had never been in before, I discovered something called "Fan Favorites" in the toy aisle (my daughter was 6 then, toy aisles were a regular stop).
 
I was fascinated by the familiar players on familiar Topps designs but with different photographs. I bought a few packs. And I liked them so much, I had to go back the next day and buy some more.

For that reason, the second Fan Favorites set from 2004 will always be my favorite. But I love them all.
 
Since today's the All-Star Game I thought I'd go through the Fan Favorites sets and find the cards that used one of Topps' all-star designs and do a little critiquing.
 
Here are the 2003 Fan Favorites using All-Star notation:


In typical Fan Favorites fashion, some of these designs don't look quite right. It's not enough to bother me because, oh my goodness, the set is glorious (this is back when they weren't skimping on card stock). But that '76 All-Star logo on the Nettles card is far too small and the wording is spaced out.

The Concepcion card features a photo that's likely from 1980 or 1981, his hair wasn't that long at that time in 1977. I do like the Musial card a lot, better than the original 1958 All-Star card, even if he isn't nearly as smiley as on the '58 card.
 


But the Rod Carew card is my favorite All-Star card in the '03 Fan Favorites set. This is an image that was used for a Time Magazine cover in mid-June of 1977 when Carew was chasing .400. It's not an image that would have ever appeared in the '77 Topps set, but it's won me over and I'm so glad we can put photos like this on cards now.

Here are the 2004 Fan Favorites All-Star cards:


Rod Carew shows up again, this time in an Angels uniform. Reggie Jackson gets two All-Star cards in the same set, one as an Oakland Athletic and one as a California Angel.

The Mark Fidrych card is a tribute to his "rookie cup/All-Star banner" 1977 Topps breakout card. It's kind of an odd photo (he was right-handed) but I am too happy that there is another Fidrych card. It took about 25 years for people to realize that there weren't enough Fidrych cards.
 


The Angels Jackson is my favorite All-Star card from this group. I love the 1983 All-Star design and capturing a dugout scene along with Jackson's salute to the fans is interesting. I do like the 1970 Jackson All-Star, too. I think there should have been more of those cards in Fan Favorites. But the criminal oversight in Fan Favorites is that the 1969 All-Star design was never used. (Neither was the 1968 one). The '69 look is one of my favorites.

Here are the 2005 Fan Favorites All-Star cards:


Just three this year. They could've produced more than that.

In general, the 2005 Fan Favorites set is my least favorite of the three. You can see signs of Topps starting to mail it in, it's a bit sloppy compared with the others. The Rod Carew card is almost jarring as Topps used an image of Carew that looks like it's from the 1970 ALCS on a 1976 design.
 


The Johnny Bench card this year is weird as hell but it's still my favorite. The hesitant look on Bench's face as disembodied hands thrust out toward him makes for one of the stranger cards that I have seen. Obviously it's nothing that would ever show up in 1975.

So there you are. That's a look at one of my favorite aspects about cards -- the All-Star cards -- from one of my favorite card brands -- the All-Time Fan Favorites -- on one of my favorite days of the year -- the day of the All-Star Game.
 
Also I just finished one of my favorite activities: I completed a set, actually a series of sets.

If you're still not sure about what I think of this day, here's a fact:

I used the word "favorite" or "favorites" 32 times in this post.
 
Now, don't bother me with your contrarian words. I'm too busy doing all of my favorite things.

Comments

John Sharp said…
I'll be watching also, cheering on my American League team, as I've done every year since the 1970 game.


Keep up the awesome posts.

simpson said…
the all-star game is seriously under-rated. I'm watching and enjoying with pride right now too, rooting for the national league!
GTT said…
And a Yankee scores the first run. Bwahahahahahahahhahahahaha.
I think that the Bench is more of a look like....you want me to sign all of these?
John Bateman said…
nice sets did not know they made them 3 years in a row
Brett Alan said…
I have the 1975 and 1976 style George Brett cards (need that 1977 style one, though) and a few others, but I wonder if at times I've passed on some of these because I thought they were reprints. I know the Bretts too well to make that mistake, but I can see where I might have seen that Musial or the 1970 All-Star Reggie and thought they were reprints rather than new photos.
The day of the All-Star game is one of my favorite sports days of the year, just behind Game 1 and Game 7 (if necessary) of the World Series.

Tonight my son played in his Babe Ruth league playoffs, followed by all-star(!) tournament tryouts, so this year I had to DVR the ceremonies and game. It's well after midnight here in the midwest, so I had to turn it off after watching the bottom of the third.

But I know I have at least six more innings waiting for me to watch tomorrow -- and you bet I'll watch the whole thing. I'll even try to avoid any sports media so I don't find out the result of the Game until I watch it.

By the way, I also love All-Time Fan Favorites, although my brain has a hard time making sense of the cards that have a photo that doesn't line up with the design year. (Which is almost as confusing as watching the baseball ASG and not seeing 30 different uniforms on the field.)
Fuji said…
Haven't watch the MLB All-Star game in years. Can't even give a good reason for me not being interested. Loved watching it back in the 80's... but it just doesn't hold my attention as much these days. I did enjoy watching the highlights of Ohtani pitching, Guerrero hitting the home run, Walsh making the sliding catch, and Zunino nailing the runner at second after the wild pitch.
madding said…
One of my favorite things is watching the player introductions where they all line up along the base paths, but I skipped that this year. The uniforms were awful.
Billy Kingsley said…
You're lucky in that you can still enjoy the All-Star game. The NBA completely changed theirs due to people whining about the players having fun, (literally, that's what happened, not hyperbole) and they sucked all the fun out of it in the process. I don't watch it anymore.

At least the NHL all star game is still fun.

Bo said…
The Time magazine photo of Rod Carew is also in the 1991 Bowman set.
BillK21093 said…
I really liked the Fan Favorites sets.

The 2003 set was really hard on the eyes though, with the small
numbering.

All 3 sets really show off some different photo choices that were
available to Topps.
Anonymous said…
I don't think someone is dismissing how important the game is to you by not watching. Those "favorites" cards are pretty cool, though I don't have any. Maybe one day...
night owl said…
You're not getting it. People actively announce how little they think of the All-Star Game all the time.
Jafronius said…
I've always loved the All Star Game (both baseball and basketball) and enjoy the player introductions the most. Not a fan of the more recent developments, like they're trying to grow up a kid's game. I miss the days when the starters would go half the game so you still had awfully good players at the end of the game. Fun post.