Skip to main content

An era is over

 
You may have noticed that almost all of this week's posts have contained card images that are photographs rather than scans.
 
That's because my computer died last weekend. It was the desktop computer and it has been with me for as long as I've written this blog.
 
Yes, I have used the same computer for more than 13 years. I know, that's insane, but I just said goodbye to a car that was 16 years old. I have patience and with a little ingenuity, you can make things last a long time sometimes.

So, now I've closed that era and entered the Laptop Era of the blog. It's mostly the same except I haven't had the chance to introduce the laptop to the scanner/printer and that's why you see the pictures.

I prefer scanning. I think the images look better and you don't have to play with the lighting or angles or worry about sunlight and all that. But sometimes scanning isn't the best. For example, as bloggers have known for a long time, anything shiny or foil-boardy, especially stuff from the late '90s, scans like garbage.

A photo is better for cards like that. Coincidentally, I happen to have some shiny cards to show that will benefit from being in front of a camera.


It's another envelope from Max of Starting Nine. He sent me a few shiny Dodgers from 2021. There is no way this purple-paralleled Walker Buehler would look as nice if I were to scan it.
 


For the last couple of years, Max has been my supplier for Finest Dodgers. I love Finest, I've said this many times before. Max understands because he seems to order up some every year and I get his extras. Good for him! Good for me!

Finest is extremely shiny, right up there with Chrome (it is chrome, duh). That means it's better photographed than scanned. However, shiny cards and picture-taking takes a lot of effort that I haven't mastered ... because I've been scanning for 13 years!
 


Get too close and you get your fingers in the shot!
 


Move too far away so the card isn't reflecting you and you just get a blurry image! Man, whose idea was it to make shiny cards anyway?

Here are some slightly better images of both:



All right, I don't know how much better that is, you can still see the phone in the Bellinger card. Obviously I need to look into finally getting a scanning app for the phone.
 


Here is something non-shiny (and non-2021) from Max. It's a Jackie Robinson Day "patch" card (again, these aren't patches). By the time this post publishes, we may or may not know how injured Kershaw is. And I would like anyone who complained over the offseason that the Dodgers were hoarding pitchers to apologize right now.


Finally, something completely different, it's a Sabres card from my favorite early '90s hockey set, 1991-92 Pro Set. Although this is from the Puck set, which I don't know anything about.

So, there's a few kinks to work out with this new set-up, but I'll get there. Just excuse the mess for a little bit.

Because I'm still blogging.

(Farewell, faithful desktop computer).

Comments

buckstorecards said…
Now I feel guilty about the rather bulky package I sent your way this week.
CrazieJoe said…
13 years is an amazing run for a computer, but if you have one that works for you, great to be able to make it last!

Any time I see a Bodger card, I remember being a kid and watching a Leaf/Sabre game, turning to my grandpa and asking why a family would have the last name Booger.
bryan was here said…
Pro Set Puck was a candy bar that had hockey cards, a package of three. The candy reminded me of a Reggie bar. Caramel and peanuts in chocolate.
LOL. Yes, I like things to last, drive the car until the wheels fall off kind of guy. Same with the digital stuff. I am using the same laptop I've used on this blog from inception. I have to reset the network adapter about 50 times a day....everyday. It's not that I can't buy a new adapter, I can but the cost was more than buying a new laptop which I did do before Covid, I just don't use it. It has Windows 10, I don't like it, I like Windows 7. Hence, the LOL.
jacobmrley said…
I nursed my last desktop through about 9 years (in three homes!) but 13 has me beat. And I have been burning through laptops every two years it seems. The one currently in my lap is staring down the new one still in the box that I have yet to set up. Ah, the joys of designed obsolescence.

Glad you liked the little smattering of shiny. I just got a few lots of some old school oddballs; we'll see if any strange Dodgers come out the other side.
Fuji said…
Pretty sure Pro Set Puck were cards issued with chocolate (maybe in the shape of a puck). I feel like the card shop I worked at carried them. Congratulations on the new computer and the transition to a laptop. 13 years is damn impressive for a computer. I was just bragging to my brother that one of my MacBooks (the one I'm using right now) is 8 years old. Not sure if she has another 5 years in her though.
Matt said…
It was hard to say goodbye to my laptop last year, but yours had a much more impressive run then my one year of my laptop.

And I have trouble capturing shiny cards and not myself on them. All of my photos are camera shots.
last year I said goodbye to my compaq presario I bought back in 2000. it was running the millinium operating system. the last 12 years or so I only used it to scan pictures and convert audio cassettes to digital. no internet. It had a great sound card. It was still working when i recycled it.
GTT said…
My dad has had the same car for the last fifteen years. This might be its last year though.
Kin said…
I'm with you on using things for a long time. I've had the same iPhone for seven years. I have to get a new one by July because AT&T is stopping 3G service. My last phone, I had five years. My iPad is almost ten years old. I'd rather spend the money on cards!
Nice run with the computer.
Bo said…
I recently bought my first new laptop in many years. Takes some adjusting too. I recently sold a car I had for 20 years - the fact that I was actually able to get some cash for it was a nice surprise.
Jon said…
My desktop lasted for about ten years, and the laptop that I bought to replace it, the one that I'm using right now, is a little over seven years old. Oh, and I've had my SUV for 14 years, so I think I can relate to this kind of sentiment.
Matt said…
You got your money's worth out that desktop. Dell Inspirons were good like that.