Skip to main content

Send them to me


It's been a banner year for autographed Ron Cey cards in 2017. Topps' Archives line has made Cey one of the recurring figures in its never-ending run of products.

A Cey autograph is in the main Archives set and I landed the peach parallel a few months ago. A couple of weeks ago I discovered that a Cey signature is also in the Archives Snapshot series (as well as the base card, which I need to get).

Then I discovered he was in something called "Topps Archives Signature Series Postseason Edition," which was released just last week. I didn't like how I discovered it, though.

This Archives Signature Series Postseason set is the type of product that I avoid like the plague, and therefore know very little about. From what I gather it is released as a box of just one, encased card. You plop down 30 or 40 or 70 bucks (I'm just going by what I see on ebay) and you get one signed card.

It's a straight gamble. The checklist is all over the place. You could pull Hank Aaron or Sandy Koufax. You could pull Jeff Conine or David Eckstein.

I knew nothing about these until I saw a few references to people opening them online. There wasn't much pleasant said about them, and a few helpful types advised collectors to stay away.

Then there were a couple snide, snickering references to the checklist.

Stuff like "Enjoy all the Ron Ceys!"

My ears perked up.

"There are Ron Ceys, plural, in this set????????"

Then a pause.

"Hey ....

"What's wrong with Ron Cey????"

Obviously, if there are Ron Ceys, plural, this could be the greatest set of all-time.

These critical dudes clearly have no idea of the greatness of what they're pulling out of their one-card box. But then they're buying a one-card box, so ...

I saw on Dodgers Blue Heaven all of the signed Ron Cey cards available in the Archives Signature Series Postseason set (these long set names have got to go). He found 10 of them.

I decided to investigate on ebay myself. Here are the signed Cey Dodger cards that I found:







That's six and there were also three other kinds that had been sold, an American Pie Cey from 2001, a 1975 mini Cey and a 1983 Cey that's actually an O-Pee-Chee card that shows him in his '83 Topps pose but with a Cubs listing.

Dodgers Blue Heaven also showed two others that I couldn't find, the 1978 Topps Cey and another OPC card, Cey's 1982 base card.

So that's 11 different signed Ron Cey cards that are in the Topps Archives Signature Series Postseason Can We Add A Few More Describers To This.

This is a Cey Bonanza!

However, even though Cey is my favorite player of all-time, there is no way I'm buying a box of this. I have never been about the autograph. I make a bit of an exception for Cey, but I won't buy a product just because I'm guaranteed an autograph.

I do want all of these though, even the cards that Cey has already signed for me through the mail, which means I would be collecting just the silly stamp Topps places on the Archives cards.

So, please, all of you disgusted collectors who pulled Cey cards, send them to me. I will gladly take them over pulling a number of the stars on this checklist. I would rather pull the Cey card than a signed Ripken or Sandberg or Thome or Chipper Jones.

And, I would like to say, things could be much, much, much worse. Instead of pulling a fine card of an upstanding MLB veteran of well-known, long-running success like Cey, you could fork over 60 dollars and pull Tony Womack. Yikes.

Or, heavens, you could pull this:


There are lots of signed Cubs Cey cards in this set, too. They're all terribly pedestrian, lacking Cey's trademark "10" that he places inside the R on each of his signed Dodger cards. (And, yes, Fuji, there's that one dopey '87 Topps card of him in an A's uniform, too).

So, yeah, I can see how this set would disappoint immensely.

But not if you're pulling a Dodger Cey autographed card.

Just think of the grateful owl who would gladly accept it.

Comments

P-town Tom said…
There's no checklist for this set that I can find, which is a bit frustrating. Good luck on tracking a couple affordable ones down.
Steve B said…
Do you have this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-TOPPS-ODD-BALL-RON-CEY-DODGERS-COLLECTING-BOX-FOR-BASEBALL-CARDS-NEVER-USED/272925407298?hash=item3f8b9f3842:g:4A0AAOSwpONZXvmL
Fuji said…
Can't wait to add Dopey to my collection ;)
night owl said…
All I found was a list of which players were available, but not how many cards each player has. https://www.beckett.com/news/2017-topps-archives-signature-series-postseason/#top
night owl said…
Yep. http://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2017/06/this-ticks-all-boxes.html