Sunday, December 27, 2015

Awesome night card, pt. 250: what's my name?


Here's a fun little game to play:

Figure out which major leaguer in history has a name that most resembles yours. (Those of you who share a name with a big leaguer are disqualified. Go gloat somewhere else).

Gary Gray is my player.

Neither his first name nor his last name is the same as my first or last name. But this is how close his name is to mine:

In my lifetime, I have been mistakenly called "Gary" more than any other incorrect name ever. It's freakish how many people confuse "Greg" with "Gary." Also, there is no other wrong last name that has shown up more often on envelopes sent to my home than "Gray."

So, in some ways, I might as well be "Gary Gray," because apparently there are a significant number of people I have come across over 40-plus years who think that's my name.

The actual Gary Gray didn't have much of an impact in the majors or in the card world. He has just three Topps cards, three Fleer cards and a Donruss card. He has a few minor league cards, including this awesome dusk card.

His big league career lasted from 1977-82, with his best season being his last, with the Mariners. But he stayed in pro ball all the way through 1987.

He'll always have some significance for me, because there may be nobody in major league history who has my name, but there is one who is pretty damn close.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night Card Binder candidate: Gary Gray, 1981 Fleer, #402
Does it make the binder?: You bet.

12 comments:

  1. They call me 'Bell'
    They call me 'Stacey'
    They call me 'her'
    They call me 'Jane'
    That's not my name
    That's not my name
    That's not my name
    That's not my name

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now I can't get that out of my head.

      Delete
  2. You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay....Seriously, the closest I came was Duff Brumley, a former Cardinals player I blogged about awhile ago. After appearing in two ball games, he was quickly forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam Eggrocket, Cleveland Indians, 1939-1941.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take your pick:

    Jim Hunter
    Jim Palmer
    Jim Bunning
    Jim Maloney
    Jim Kaat
    Jim Grant
    Jim Perry
    Jim Lonborg
    Jim Bouton
    Jim Brewer
    Jim O’ Toole
    Jim Owens
    Jim Fregosi
    Jim Lefebvre
    Jim Ray Hart
    Jim Davenport
    Jim Piersall
    Jim King
    Jim Pagliaroni
    Jim Merritt
    Jim Nash
    Jim Hannan
    Jim Hickman
    Jim Hicks
    Jim Gosger
    Jim Coker
    Jim Stewart
    Jim Barbieri
    Jim(mie) Hall

    (and that’s only from the 1967 set!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob Andrews. Same name...and he was born just six days after me

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about me? Two different players in two different sports with the same name?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My guy is Gavin Baugh, sharing the same first name and the first couple letters of the last name (plus another same letter in the middle). He never made the majors, but got a shared prospects card in 1993 Topps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine might be Dave Kingman. Perhaps not that close, but with a bit of translation the last name comes out about the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The closest to mine was a pitcher for the Giants, Jeff Cornell. He's the only Cornell to have played in the majors and he appeared on only 1 major league card- the 1985 Topps set (514).

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is weird how the brain works. Grey or Grue are closer to Greg purely from a letter angle. Anyway, thanks for the interesting post Gary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unfortunately, mine is probably Josh Donaldson.

    ReplyDelete