Skip to main content

The Awesome Night Card binder, pages 33-40, plus other random stuff and contest results


My goodness, we're just starting right up with this school thing aren't we?
 
For decades I could count on high school football starting before any other school sport and always after Labor Day. But games are afoot -- looks at calendar -- tomorrow -- and other sports that kindly waited for football to get going are now opening at the same time, if not earlier. It's a free-for-all.
 
How does that affect you? It doesn't, except the owl is too busy for just about every prospective post on my "to blog" list. Instead I have another edition of The Awesome Night Card Binder page review, plus some stuff tacked on the end.
 
When I last did an Awesome Night Card Binder post, I left off at page 32. I've got eight more pages to show, and many of those are pretty empty.  I need to consult the "night card" tag on TCDB like immediately after I post this to fill some of these puppies up.
 
Here is page 33:
 

Page 33
 
Pretty solid page with only one opening. We have a nice Vogelbach sighting and the Braves card in the top corner is full of Dodgers! Not crazy about Machado showing up on back-to-back pages, but at least I enjoy that city connect uni.
 
 

 Page 34
 
One of many mostly empty pages in this segment. I don't really know why the night cards get so spare once we hit the 300s (Yordan Alvarez is No. 300). But at least the 1983 Fleer John Candelaria is pulling the load for everyone else. I love this card.
 
 

Page 35
 
Three empty slots but the wonderful Max Muncy 18th inning World Series-walkoff card shines brightly. I'm also happy to get two 2025 cards in here even if they don't show up very well. Plus, Ichiro!
 
 
 

Page 36
 
Here you see the Jake Fraley 2026 card that I mentioned putting in the night card binder back in April. Also, that 1966 Harry Walker is one of the superstars of the binder. Part of me wants to put it with the rest of my 1966s but that would make the night card binder less fun.
 
Also the 1991 Upper Deck Dante Bichette card might be the night card that has been mailed to me the most.
 
 
 Page 37
 
Lots of World Series and celebration action on this page, both hallmarks of the night card binder. Plus there is the famous triple-exposure Jose Canseco card and my favorite on the page, the '76 SSPC card of Nate Colbert as an Expo.
 

 Page 38
 
Ooof ... SPACE FOR RENT!!!! At least the two cards here are super-fine, that '69 Del Unser is an all-timer. But cards 334-342 need some work.
 
 

Page 39
 
That's more like it for a fairly well-stocked page. Heavy on Nationals but another SSPC Expo in Duke Snider (as a coach) to balance it out.
 
 
 

 Page 40
 
One more empty page to close this edition out. Joc Pederson is card No. 360.
 
So there's lots of work to do in the 300s and I should do it right away before I forget about it like I usually do.
 
All right, moving on to something else that is unrelated but I found a way to tie it together.
 
Not long after Zippy Zappy send me that 2026 Topps Japan Series 2 pack, which was just a Series 2 pack, another envelope from him showed up in the mail.
 
 

More Series 2 cards from Japan. How long before I add these to the Series 2 stack do I forget that they came from Japan? I guess that's why I have this blog, to document stuff like that!
 
The best part of these is I needed all of them. The Freddie Freeman is an extra because one goes into the Dodgers binder. And the Cristian Javier I owned already, but it led off this post for a reason.
 
It's a night card (in the way that Topps does night cards in 2026) and at card No. 599, it gains entry in the binder! Yes, more high number night cards please!!!
 
Those 2026 cards were actually wrapped around another card.
 

This is a 2026 Calbee card of Hanshin Tigers pitcher Masaki Oyokawa. I don't know anything about him, nor why I received it. Is he destined for a Dodger rotation? Does Kenny know something I should know?? 
 
OK, enough about my collection. It's time to give away some cards connected to the 6,000 posts milestone.
 
The best I can figure, 10 people commented that they were interested in entering, including Jafronius right at the very end!
 

 Here are the cards that you were playing for. I've since discovered that the Whitey Lockman has a few creases in it so I'll find another vintage card for the winner and add that to the envelope.
 
Per usual, I determined the winner through three spins of random.org.
 
 

 Randomizing once.
 
 
 
Randomizing twice.
 
 
 

And randomizing a third time.
 
Congratulations to Dana. You are the winner, a winner is you!
 
I believe I'll need your address, so email it to nightlite77@yahoo.com when you can.
 
Thanks as always for taking the time to read during your busy lives. I know exactly how you feel.

Comments

Congrats to Dana! That Candelaria is wonderful!
bryan was here said…
That Candelaria is one of my favourites from the very nice '83 Fleer set.
I'm pretty sure that Harry Walker card photo was taken in the Astrodome.