Skip to main content

Oh no! Oh yes! O-P-C, this is the second part

 
Yesterday I teased today's post with a 1975 O-Pee-Chee wrapper. Yes, that means a '75 OPC pack-opening is coming. 

Don't get too excited. I didn't buy a sealed '75 OPC pack. 

The wrapper came to me as you see it from Poison75, aka, BaseballCommish75 on the SportsCardForum, aka, one half of the two collecting buddies (The Collective Mind being the other one) who have the most challenging want lists that I'm determined to crack ... someday.

Poison75 is looking to complete his own '75 project, which I'm sure he's mentioned in the comments on my blog previously but I don't recall what it is. I was the beneficiary of some extras from that project, which I'll show you right now:


You sharp-eyed Canadians have probably noticed immediately that those are '75 OPC cards next to the OPC wrapper!

Those are all the ingredients of a pack-opening if I ever saw one. So I put one together by averting my eyes and randomly selecting eight cards from the left stack (8 cards seems like I rip-off compared with the 10 that came out of Topps packs in '75, but the packs here in the U.S. were 15 cents, and I don't know what the conversion rate was then, stop taking the fun out of this).


Voila.

You'd look at this askance if it arrived "sealed" from ebay but I think I did a pretty good job there. Sorry, there's no gomme balloune with this, it probably broke into a million pieces at some point in the last 48 years.
 
From here we're going to pretend it's an actual pack opening. Let's see how good I did.
 
 

The pack-revealing commences. I don't remember if the cards came out of the pack face-up or face-down when I was opening them in '75. Maybe it was a mix of both. Pretty certain the gum was the first thing I saw.

Note the free umpire's ball and strike indicator offer, Either I never saw wrappers advertising that then or I was so clueless I didn't know what it was -- I do remember the grocery counter things from back in the '70s, which I was fascinated by, so I probably would've wished for this if I saw the ad.


Off we go!



602 - John Vukovich, Reds
 
For the most part, OPC was still a few years away from advertising its difference from Topps cards on the front. That didn't start until late in the 1970s, I believe. But the tell-tale ragged edging is there.
 
Did I pull the Topps version out of a pack in '75?: No, never saw it.
 
 
229 - Barry Foote, Expos
 
Great card. I would have been thrilled to pull this card out of a pack then. Speaking of which ...
 
Did I pull the Topps version out of a pack in '75?: No. But I did see the card for the first time during a visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame in which the entire '75 set was displayed on a series of boards that you could walk past. I noted certain cards (Garr, Foote in particular) and pined for them until I was old enough to order cards through the mail. Foote was one of the first.
 

 

342 - Leroy Stanton, Angels
 
It looks like Stanton's card back received the gum treatment when it originally came out of a pack. Also notice how wildly off-center it is, that was pretty common.
 
Did I pull the Topps card out of a pack in '75?:  I pulled the mini card. This was one of my favorites from the set.



236 - Angels team checklist

Did I pull the Topps card out of a pack in '75?: I don't think so. Many of my team cards from this time were the flimsy ones cut from a sheet that you could order off the back of the team card as you can see there.


 
403 - Tom Buskey, Indians
 
Props to the type-setters for '75 OPC who had to squeeze in a lot of wording for some of the cartoons. Must've gotten dicey.
 
Did I pull the Topps card out of a pack in '75?: Nope.
 
 

79 - Gary Matthews, Giants
 
Sarge's 1975 card isn't nearly as exciting as his 1974 card, but I really liked it back in '75.
 
Did I pull the Topps card out of a pack in '75: I did. I was on summer vacation in another town when I took a trip to the drug store with my brother and a friend and bought a couple of packs in which I pulled this card.
 
 

586 - Tim McCarver, Red Sox
 
SIDEBURNS. You want a Red Sox card of Tim McCarver, the '75 OPC and Topps versions are about all there is.
 
Did I pull the Topps version out of a pack in '75?: I did not.
 
 

 338 - Rick Stelmaszek, Cubs

An airbrushed Cub for the final card.

Did I pull the Topps card out of a pack in '75?: Never. I was not aware of Stelmaszek until starting a blog 35 years later.


That's the full pack booty. I would have been happy with that pack as a kid. No, I would not realize that half of the cards featured airbrushed hats.



These are the rest of the O-Pee-Chee cards that arrived in the package. 

Aside from the Dodgers, I have owned the same twelve 1975 OPC cards since about 2004. When I was chasing the '75 Topps set, I accidentally pulled some OPC cards for purchase that I thought were Topps cards.

This doubles my total for the non-Dodgers '75s (still chasing the remaining '75 OPC Dodgers I need). A number of people have asked me whether I intend to chase the 1975 OPC set to go with my completed Topps and Topps mini sets. The answer is always no.

This doesn't change things but it's nice to add a few more to a total that's stagnated for almost 20 years.
 


The BaseballCommish also sent these cards, I think I have the Dodgers already. We're not talking about the Bills.



Plus this amusing graded 1997 Score Hideo Nomo card. About the only way to get graded cards into my collection and keep them graded (i.e.: I don't bust them out with implements of freedom) is to send me a graded card that I already own in its proper non-encased state.

So congratulations '97 Score Nomo! You're one of about 7 or 8 graded cards in my collection.

That was fun. And it was nice to take the virtual trip to Canada for the last couple of days.

I'll be coming back to America for the rest of the week's posts. No passport needed.

Comments

Quick check shows that I have 28 75' OPC in my set build as well as needing 19 Braves for the team set.
beefman said…
Are there OPC minis from '75? Sorry, as if you need another version of this set to collect!
night owl said…
@beefman ~

No OPC '75 minis.
madding said…
For some reason, I'd never seen any version of that Tim McCarver card. It looks weird!

Looks like I'm at 14/34 on the team set for '75 OPC.
POISON75 said…
Mr Owl part III will be sent out tomorrow & I'll mention it again why the significance of the 75s is. For my 30th birthday I made the Full-Sized Topps & The Collective Mind Blogger friend said for my 40th do the Mini(NOTE I completed on Thanksgiving weekend 10 yrs ago). Then he challenged me for my 50th the O PEE CHEE well if anyone would like to help me enclosed my list of the remaining ones.

1975 O-Pee-Chee:

1-Hank Aaron
5-S.Busby/D.Bosman/N.Ryan
16-Frank Tanana
26-Dave McNally
37-Dave Freisleben
57-Davy Johnson
60-Ferguson Jenkins
61-Dave Winfield
80-Carlton Fisk
132-Randy Moffitt
142-Bob Reynolds
146-San Diego Padres team (Unmarked)
147-Pedro Garcia
150-Bob Gibson
162-Willie Montanez
166-Woodie Fryman
172-Boston Red Sox team(Unmarked)
185-Steve Carlton
200-1962 MVP M.Mantle/M.Wills
219-Ed Herrmann
228-George Brett
245-Mickey Lolich
260-Johnny Bench
266-Sandy Alomar SR.
312 1974 Strike Out Ldrs (N.Ryan/S.Carlton)
320-Pete Rose
323-Fred Holdsworth
373-Bill Sharp
378-Darrel Thomas
386-Checklist (Unmarked)
391-Don DeMola
428-Dave Hamilton
430-Luis Tiant
431-Rod Gilbreath
437-Al Cowens
455-Don Wilson
461-Game 1 of the 1974 World Series
463-Game 3 of the 1974 World Series
471-Bob Stinson
499-Marty Perez
500-Nolan Ryan
519-Jim Todd
530-Gaylord Perry
557-Larry Gura
579-Skip Pitock
600-Ellie Hendricks
616-Rookie Outfielders (Jim Rice)
620-Rookie Catchers/Outfielders (Gary Carter)
623-Rookie Infielders (Keith Hernandez)
646-Checklist (Unmarked)
658-Vic Harris
660-Hank Aaron


The goal is closing on me since it's less than 13 months to complete it. Also in my 3 sets I have a Wrapper from each to go wi the set. Don't worry Mr Owl sir I already thanked on your behalf to Legends Sports & Games out of Grand Rapids Michigan for your Wrapper to add to your PC of 75s. Also if you can help me out just find me on the Sportscardforum.com or like Mr Owl mentioned before want to try to tackle my list of needs of all 4 sports just lmk my lists some of the best have tried but failed to achieve to take it on.
Bo said…
So there is a little swatch of jersey in the case along with a regular base card of the player? I've never seen that particular get-up before.
1984 Tigers said…
It was around this time that OPC started to add "traded to xxx" on its hockey cards. If have most of the 75-76 OPC hockey and they had variations of traded cards. Not sure when it happened for baseball, I believe by mid 80s if not sooner.

This was the golden era of OPC as they had sets for baseball that were not abbreviated. Also, they had both NHL and WHL sets.

Funny to see Dick Williams who had success at Boston, then Oakland, then Montreal, then SD. He never got too far for Angels or Mariners. A number of players mentioned how he could be a real jerk to certain of his players. He wore out his welcome eventually.

Leroy Thornton had some good success as an expansion player for Seattle.

FWIW. Opc hockey in the early 80s also had smaller pack sizes. I once bought a 80 81 pack and found out that 8 cards was the norm vs 10 in the topps packs.
Matt said…
That graded Nomo is weird. I wonder how Beckett authenticated that independent swatch of cloth as game worn?
Jafronius said…
I'm with Bo and Matt, I was looking for the swatch on the card and thought it was an error of some sort, then saw it at the top.

Did I miss the post saying why the OPC 75 set isn't being chased, even an unofficial download chase?

This is A Pack To Be Named Later material, even though you randomly chose the cards haha.