Skip to main content

Shape shifters


It wasn't until I received a package from Matt at Bubba's Bangin' Batch of Baseball Bits that I realized that baseball cards should be used in preschool classrooms.

You want to illustrate "big" and "little" to the tiny tots? Let baseball cards do the job.


This is now the BIGGEST Clayton Kershaw card that I own.

It is a box-topper from this year's Heritage.


Some would say the reverse is the side that I should show first. But even the preschool kids know that's not right. A checklist, a Mariner and a Rockie? Over the best baseball pitcher in the game on a newspaper background?

This is a class for learning. Tell me which is more educational? It says "educational" right at the bottom of the Kershaw card!

Kershaw will be displayed front-side up in my newly obtained three-pocket pages.



This is now the LITTLEST autograph card that I own.

How funny that back in 2003 Topps requested players to scribble their names in a 1.5-inch space. How are we going to get "Garciaparra" in there? I know the preschool kids might be able to scrawl one letter before running out of space.

Now class, just to compare, here they are together:


That's BIG and LITTLE, breaking new ground in my collection from either side.

Here is a bunch more little:


I'm really bad at keeping track of my T206 mini Dodger wants. But I know some of these are new.

OK, moving on, let's throw a wacky shape at you kids:


These are POLYGONS.

No class, nobody got hungry and took some bites out of these cards.

Polygons are filled with all kinds of angles and straight lines. They make for bizarre cards such as you see above. I'm not sure anyone actually asked for diecut Allen and Ginter cards, yet we've got them.

I keep looking at these thinking there's no way they'll fit in a nine-pocket page, but that must be an optical illusion, because they do.

The rest of the cards, I'm afraid, are customary 2 1/2-by-3 1/2 size. But you kids need to learn about rectangles, too!



 

Hmmm, that Seager rectangle looks familiar. I guess it's up for grabs to the first Dodger fan who raises their hand and asks for it politely.



Matt also sent the LARGEST assortment of the Heritage World Series subset cards that I've received. This is A-plus work. I believe I'm still missing Game 2 and Game 6. Also, if I stare too long at that Game 7 card it makes me want to go into a tirade about "launch angle."

But the class doesn't need to hear that. So class dismissed!

Get your shapes out of here.


Comments

Nachos Grande said…
Never saw those die-cut Ginter cards before...and here I thought I knew all there was to know about Allen & Ginter.
Why are there different cards marked as "1st Series Checklist"? Shoildn't it be one card, and the list starting with card #1?
Brett Alan said…
Weird, isn't it? But I guess each one is PART of the first series, since there are only three series (including High Numbers) in Heritage, as opposed to seven in the actual 1969 set. I can see that having a "2nd Series" checklist that isn't for Series 2 cards would be weird, too.
I'm no Dodger fan, But I do have many Dodger's in my PC's and Seager is one of them.
A Bob Seger plug would've been great after that Seager relic, lol.
steelehere said…
Having a card that relives Game 5 of the 2017 World Series is not something I'll ever have the desire to collect.
Chris said…
The Kershaw headline is fantastic, and the big/little contrast is a great teaching too for wee ones. Or slightly bigger kids - as in "how many minis fit on one Heritage panel?

I wish they'd done the Headline backs for last year's Heritage; the 2017 panel backs are just ads. Not at all educational. But at least Kershaw is on one of 'em.
Bubba said…
I had no clue how you were going to attack this package... this is brilliant. You had me rolling. :D
Hackenbush said…
The die-cuts certainly do look good next to each other.
Fuji said…
Here's today's random fact of the day: the Koufax and Puig diecuts are hexadecagons.