Skip to main content

Awesome night card, pt. 264: binder update


Last week I did some seriously overdue reorganizing of the Night Card Binder. I may seem like I have it all together when it comes to night cards, but it's probably my most scattered collection.

So, I started from the beginning, which is the actual binder itself.

As I mentioned briefly last week, for the longest time, the color of the Night Card Binder has been ... white.

Yes, white.

What is wrong with me?

So I took care of that. The Night Card Binder is now black as it should be:


It's rather plain. I'll have to do something about adding some graphics or a drawing or the like to the front. But this is appropriate for now.

Here is a look at the first page, which I have shown before:


It is going to take a lot for anything to bust through those nine.

With reorganizing I had to make a few hard choices. Cards that I thought were definite Night Card Binder additions, even Night Card Binder mainstays, got the boot.

For example, these cards, which I believe have all been Awesome Night Card entries, all were booted from the binder:


Most shipped off to the dupes closet, sad as that is.

But I'm much happier now that I have the Night Card Binder organized properly and know exactly what I need to fill it.

There are plenty of spots available for future night cards.

For example, here is a typical inside page:


Lots of empty space.

You may be wondering why some of the cards are upside down.

Those are cards that haven't been featured on Awesome Night Card yet. Perhaps that would set off some collectors' OCD bells. I admit it's not the prettiest thing. But the visual reminder of what still hasn't been featured is more preferable to me right now than creating another list. I have want lists all over the place. I have idea lists for the blog. I have "real world" lists and "work" lists. I don't need another thing to cross off. The upside-down cards work for me. (Actually, the Youkilis card has been an awesome night card, so I'll rectify that as soon as I'm done with this post).

OK, now back to the card featured at the top of the post:


This is one of several dark-background Twins cards in the 1978 Topps set. I've already determined them all to be night cards, with the help of a blog post and some people's comments.

One of those other Twins cards, featured on that post, is already in the Night Card Binder.


I would like the Disco Dan Ford card to join Chiles, but I need to get a dupe of that card first because I ain't breaking up the 1978 Topps set.

But Craig Kusick is a dupe card, so he's fair game. Will he make the revised Night Card Binder???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night Card Binder candidate: Craig Kusick, 1978 Topps, #137
Does it make the binder?:


It does not. I had to save room for Tony Plush.

Comments

Ken Adams said…
I just noticed that the '79 Mota record breaker photo appears to be taken from the 1972-75 period when the NOB didn't have a white outline.