Skip to main content

For the older crowd ...


When I get older, losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine


If I'd been out 'til quarter to three
Would you lock the door
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm 64?


oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oooo
You'll be older too
And if you say the word
I could stay with you


I could be handy mending a fuse
When your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride


Doing the garden, digging the weeds
Who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm 64?


Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Grandchildren on your knee
Vera, Chuck and Dave


Send me a postcard, drop me a line
Stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say
Yours sincerely, Wasting Away


Give me your answer, fill in a form
Mine for evermore
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm 64?

Whoooo!

-- "When I'm 64," Beatles


Happy birthday to my all-time favorite player, The Penguin!

Yup, he's 64 today.


My childhood hero is 64.

Good god, we're all old.

Comments

Dodgerbobble said…
That brought a tear to my eye.

Happy Birthday El Pinguino!
Happy Birthday Ron...nice post and even nicer collection of Cey cards.
Stealing Home said…
dude, he happens to be my all-time favorite dodger as well. those are some sweet cards. i never saw those relics before. some great designs.

i once got a signed baseball from the penguin back in the days when i used to routinely bring a ball to the park for just such an occasion. i got a chance to tell him he was my favorite player. GEEKDOM STRUCK !!

yeh - we're all older, but i bet a buck the penguins gonna be styling that trademark stache around the stadium yet again next season.

.
CaptKirk42 said…
Clever. One of my childhood faves to collect. I'll have to do a recheck to see which of his cards I still have. Sadly many of my childhood cards did the Houdini trick of disappearing sometime in the early 1980s just as I was seriously getting into the hobby after only being in the kiddy "collecting" phase.
MJ said…
HA! I just read that he was 64 today and thought of you and that song at the same time. I come here and see this. Scary.
Hackenbush said…
Happy birthday, Penguin!
Kbrewster/90 said…
Do you realize many readers might not even know who the Beatles are? Boy, we ARE old. Love the song, love the '70s, love the post. Only the coolest kids are born in February!
BASEBALL DAD said…
You know that song will be going through my head for a week now....
EggRocket said…
Beatles rock. It's not often I see two of my favorite things (Beatles and Baseball) living in the same universe.

So Ron Cey is 64. Remember when 64 was old? Doesn't seem so old anymore.
Wow, I feel really old now. Thank you Night Owl!!
Greg Slomba said…
The Penguin was my favorite player as a kid, too. I can't believe he's 64. I can't believe that I'm 47!!! Where does the time go? Happy birthday, Ron-and many more!