Skip to main content

What I got

I saw on Cardboard Junkie the list of all of dayf's 2009 Braves so far. I figured it wasn't fair that the Braves hog all the bloggery time. So I'm showing the '09 Dodgers I've collected so far.

I'll stick with Topps because Upper Deck still isn't thrilling me, and I don't have many of the UD Dodgers. I'm sure I'll track down the UDers some time, but right now it's all Topps.

The other reason for this list is to make sure that I've accounted for all the Dodgers in Series 1. I don't have all the checklist cards yet and Topps' Web site is a maze of mirrors, so if anyone spots a missing Dodger, let me know.

Right now, I know I need #67 Andruw Jones and #179 Rafael Furcal. Two ex-Braves as it happens. And one ex-Dodger, too, thankfully. On with the list:

#123 - Casey Blake. Blake, in the words of MLB.com, "felt a groin muscle tighten as he was doing outfield sprints" today. Ouch. According to Joe Torre, Blake's OK, and, "He can do everything but run at this point." Really? Everything?

#129 - Angel Berroa. Berroa is now Derek Jeter's understudy. I don't dare say anything bad about Jeter, or Sooz will find me and hit me with her first-place plaque.

#131 - Joe Torre. Torre shuffling to the mound, just how I picture him. I picture him doing that or half-snoozing in the dugout.

#132 - Juan Pierre. I say it's even money whether Pierre catches that ball. I'm feeling a little sorry for Juan these days. I know you Dodger hard-liners hate hearing that. But the guy tries like hell, and he does some things quite well.

#142 - Brad Penny. The clubhouse cancer last year, according to Larry Bowa. He didn't actually utter those words, but he pretty much closed the debate on the subject.

#165 - Matt Kemp. The rumors are true. Kemp will win the Triple Crown this year. Or he'll hit .270. One of the two.

#208 - James McDonald. Two-time minor league pitcher of the year for the Dodgers. And he's wearing a pink breast cancer awareness bracelet. You can't beat that.

#214 - Scott Elbert. The often overlooked Scott Elbert. But he's a lefty, so don't ignore him.

#222 - Mark Sweeney. A future "brush with greatness" subject.

#235 - Chad Billingsley. I think Billingsley should be on the level as Evan Longoria and Albert Pujols with player collectors. I think he's going to be fantastic over the next five years.

#260 - Manny Ramirez. Just sign, Manny. You know you want to. Scott Boras has hid all the pens in your house hasn't he?

#272 - Chan Ho Park. Park was 18-10 in 2000. Wow. I never remember being satisfied with any of Park's seasons with the Dodgers. I guess that's my problem, huh?

#287 - Greg Maddux. "Topps: the name you can count on for photoshopping Maddux into a Dodger uniform."

#315 - Hiroki Kuroda. The back of Kuroda's card refers to Bob Owchinko and Orel Hershiser. Kuroda matched both pitchers' feat when he retired the first 21 batters in a start during his rookie season. Which do you want to be, Hiroki? Owchinko or Hershiser?

Here are the Legends of the Game inserts I have. I'm not too clear on who I don't have and the whole difference between the green and brown and platinum. I know I won't be chasing them all. But I'll gladly accept them. I know I got this Roy Campanella (#LG-16) at Target.

#LG15 - Pee Wee Reese came in a Target blaster, too.

#LLG-2 - Jackie Robinson, Legends of the Game. Brown or copper or whatever they're calling it. Did this come from Wal-Mart? I don't know. Maybe a trade.

And those three were nifty gold parallels of Kemp and Ramirez and the black parallel of Torre.

Plus my favorite card of the year so far, the Roy Campanella variation card. Campy's happy. I'm happy.

And the Dodgers crushed the Giants today! Happiness all around!

(Pierre and McDonald arrived in the mail from Autographed Cards today. Thanks, Zach!)

Comments

zman40 said…
I haven't seen that Campy card. That is nice.
Nachos Grande said…
Agreed, that short print is real nice...in fact, I haven't been disappointed with one of the short prints I've seen yet from Topps.
dayf said…
Man, I'm jealous. I want some Aaron and Mathews and Spahn Legends inserts.