Skip to main content

Patience is officially overrated

I seem to have entered a time machine without my knowledge and been transported all the way back to February 4, 2009.

That was the last day of my life without 2009 cards. The last day, that is, until this week because once again the area where I live is devoid of anything from this year. I'm not sure how that happens. We had '09 cards for all of five days and apparently they were so popular that Topps and Upper Deck are still trying to recuperate from the outrageous demand.

I don't get it. I live next to a county where the cows outpopulate the people (I am dead serious). If you can't supply enough cards for my neck of the woods, I'll just say one thing: I'm glad you're not in charge of putting food on the shelves.

I am getting impatient again. I am watching other bloggers buying blasters. Meanwhile, I haven't the foggiest idea what a 2009 Topps blaster looks like. At least show a picture for those less fortunate (and I mean the box, not one of those goofy patches). I suppose I should just place my order online, but again, I've got no patience when it comes to cards.

Here's another thing I'm running out of patience on: all of the Dodgers' offseason maneuvering. It's five days away from the first spring training game! At least look like you have a plan. Now, supposedly, the Dodgers have the inside track on signing second baseman Orlando Hudson.

O-Dog is a fine fielder and an energetic guy, but I just don't understand why you need him, especially if the Dodgers sign Manny Ramirez. If they don't sign Manny, then, yeah, another guy gives you some options (I guess there's some talk about Casey Blake playing left field. I didn't know he could do that). But otherwise, why throw your money at Hudson? If he's going to take Blake DeWitt's spot at second, then DeWitt's on the bench, along with L.A.'s new acquistion Mark Loretta, Chin-Lung Hu, Ivan DeJesus, etc. If the young guys have talent, then let them play.

Ned Colletti says he's "big on inventory." Well, that's how the Yankees keep getting in trouble. They just accumulate a bunch of players and try to squeeze them in places where they don't fit. They've been hoarding outfielders for as long as I've been a fan. It doesn't work that great. Let the young guys show what they can do.

I am trying to keep my patience with Chad Billingsley, who appears to be recovering well from his nasty spill on the ice during the offseason. Billingsley really seems like he's someone to build a rotation around and he is not a head case. Guys with that kind of talent and make-up make me nervous. Like he's too good to be true. I just hope everything really is going as well as the Dodgers say.

Meanwhile, Hiroki Kuroda could get the Opening Day start when L.A. begins the season April 6 in San Diego, instead of Billingsley. Kuroda didn't impress me all that much during the season, but his playoff starts were better. L.A.'s rotation really looks very iffy. They don't need just one starter to emerge this year, but more like two or three.

This has nothing to do with patience nor anything to do with a current Dodger. But I just thought it was amusing that former Dodger bad ass Brad Penny and the forever fiery Larry Bowa got in a long-distance bitching war. I actually kind of like both guys even though they don't always say the right thing. But Bowa's response to Penny was classic. I guess Andruw Jones wasn't the only fat and lazy guy on the team last year.

Lastly, I'm glad the Dodgers got Andre Ethier signed, even if it was for just one year. I understand that young players need to go through negotiations like this until they establish themselves. But Ethier is a favorite of mine, and I hate to think that Colletti may have ticked him off enough during the down-to-the-last-minute negotiations that he considers somewhere else after this season. (He doesn't really seem like that kind of guy, but who knows).

I think Ethier is going to have a great season this year, barring injury, and I hope L.A. is seriously considering a multi-year deal.

But that may be my impatient side talking again.

Comments

Ben said…
I haven't found blasters or jumbo packs either. The only place in town that sells cards has been out of '09 Topps since the weekend (the three opened packs don't count) and has yet to have '09 Upper Deck.

I hope they get Heritage on time, but I'm not counting on it.
dayf said…
If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the middle of baseball card heaven and I haven't seen a Topps blaster either. I have seen a weird little thing called a Topps 'cereal box' at Wal-Mart but I didn't get it. I'll do a post on it once I've gotten over my fury at my team's latest jilting.

I should probably be thankful my team isn't being held hostage by an overpriced malcontent though, huh?
Motherscratcher said…
I've bought Upper Deck Blasters but the only Topps I can find is packs in one of those gravity thingys.

As far as Casey Blake goes. I've watched him play for about 5 years in Cleveland and Casey Blake can play any damn position that you want him to. I love Casey Blake. Wish we still had him.
RWH said…
The end of this post is just for you. Hope you enjoy.
http://ihearthalos.blogspot.com/2009/02/cards-for-3-year-old.html
David Wishinsky said…
Casey Blake can play anywhere!
Jeffrey Wolfe said…
Where I live UD are scarce. I haven't seen any anywhere since I bought that one blaster at WalMart when they first came out. But Topps have been plentiful, no blasters but tons of gravity feeders, jumbos and even this cereal box
http://cardjunkiejeffwolfe.blogspot.com/2009/02/2009-topps-baseball_20.html