Skip to main content

6,000

  
This is the 6,000th post on Night Owl Cards. That really feels weird to type.
 
That is such a big number that I could barely find a corresponding baseball statistic to go along with it, which is what I like to do when I reach a round-number milestone on this blog.
 
I did find one -- career total bases. Just four players in major league history have reached 6,000 career total bases. Hank Aaron is the king of total bases with 6,856.
 
The others are Albert Pujols, Stan Musial and Willie Mays, in that order.
 
I couldn't find much more to say about that, so I dug out a favorite card of each player in my collection to go with the respective player's total base total.
 
 

1. HANK AARON, 6856 total bases
 
Naturally, I pulled out my 1956 copy. This is one of the '56 cards landed during the summer of 2020 that kind of let me know I could actually finish this thing.
 
 

2. ALBERT PUJOLS, 6211 total bases
 
This card amuses me because of how few of those 679 home runs came while he was with the Dodgers. (12 of them).
 
 

3. STAN MUSIAL, 6134 total bases
 
Any card with a player handling way too many bats is the best card. I have far fewer Musial cards than I do of the other three players.
 
 

4. WILLIE MAYS, 6080 total bases
 
Probably a surprise I didn't pull out the '56 Mays card, too, but just wanted to mix it up a little.
 
So that's the card portion of this post -- until the very end, anyway. Now for the milestone:
 
I'm feeling 6,000 posts a lot more than I did 5,000 or 3,000 or 500. I like writing here quite a bit and have for two decades, but I can finally feel it wearing on me a little.
 
I don't seem to have the time for regular posting like I always did. I haven't figured out why. I don't feel any busier than at any other point in the blog, but the output says differently. It's a struggle to get to even 3 or 4 posts a week when I once posted 6-7 times a week (and more), year after year.
 
The ideas are still there. They're sitting in a notebook and on sheets of paper right next to me. But I find it more difficult to tackle the more thoughtful/work-intensive/research-filled posts. Those are my favorite posts, too, but they seem more daunting than they once did.
 
I also don't seem to have the enthusiasm for regular blogging and the dedication it takes. Little irritations about the blog world bother me more than they once did and I miss the way card blogging was 15 years ago more and more. These aren't good signs.
 
None of this means I'm disappearing. I just wanted to get down my state of mind in writing, because I've been thinking about this for the last several months. It's good to get it out.
 
What this probably means is fewer posts -- even fewer than the fewer that I've been posting the last year or so. But I think it's necessary, to get my head right about blogging and rediscover my enthusiasm. I'm not going on a hiatus and I won't disappear without notice (that's rude). But, honestly, right now, I don't know how I will get to 7,000 posts. And reaching the next milestone was never a question before.
 
I like to give away some cards with these milestone posts. But I haven't had the energy to get something creative together.
 
So what I have is six vintage cards -- six for each 1,000 posts.
 

One person will get all six cards, if anyone is interested.
 
Just leave a comment on this post that you're entering for these cards. I'll do the usual randomizing at a later date. Also, no anonymous or "unknown" comment entries, they'll be disqualified. You have to have some sort of name in the comment so I can identify you if you win.
 
So, anyway, sorry this isn't all that celebratory. You'll be seeing posts this week like usual. I just wanted to be honest about how things are going with the blog.

Comments

not entering for the cards, just commenting on your milestone. CONGRATS! 6K is a big one :)
Wow, congratulations on the milestone! I got curious and looked at home many posts I've done, and it's not even half that. I doff my cap
Congratulations! We started about the same time. I will celebrate 18 years of Padrographs next month and I will reach 1400 posts soon.
John Sharp said…
Would be honored to receive cards and, absolutely, congratulations on 6,000 posts. Absolutely amazing!
Angus said…
Congratulations on 6,000 posts! I can't even imagine posting that many.

(Please exclude me from the draw. Let it go to a baseball collector.)
Don said…
Not entering the contest. Congrats on the milestone.
Well done, always a great read. Passing on the contest, but thanks.
bryan was here said…
Congrats on 6K posts! It takes a lot of dedication to do it for this long, I could never sustain a blog or anything like that.
Turns out I have all those cards already, so let them go to someone who needs them.
POISON75 said…
6K what can ya say about Mr Owl but congrats on the 6K mark ya bested Nolan Ryan in Ks & your in own league
Anonymous said…
Congrats. I started reading in 2010, spent some time early on to catch up, and have read every post since as well as you entire 1975, 1971 and your OG 1975 Topps you pulled site.

I’d also be interesting interested in the contest.
steelehere said…
I forgot to log in. That's my post above.
Jeremya1um said…
Congrats on 6,000! Thats a lot of research and writing!