Skip to main content

Money down the drain

 
I don't like saying cards are "a waste of money" because collectors get so much of that nonsense from noncollectors during their lifetime.
 
Generally card collecting is not a waste of money for a myriad of reasons, from being educational to improving mental health. But as the hobby continues to sink under Fanatics' heavy-handed rule, there are times when, yes, even I have to admit that cards can be money down the drain.
 
Here is what made me think this way:
 
I received not one, but two Target gift cards for my birthday. I was determined to use them on cards (I may become very boring and rethink that strategy thanks to this). Instead of purchasing another Series 2 box, which was quite productive for me, I selected the latest Topps Chrome Platinum offering. Not a smooth move.
 
I knew I was doing something dumb yet I am very confident in justifying my card purchases. "It'll all work out" I rationalized -- because quite often it does. But the following was staring me in the face:
 
1. The card set is from 2025. It says so right on the box. It was released in early June. Topps is asking you to buy old product.
 
2. It's insanely overpriced, especially for out-of-date cards. This box was 89 DOLLARS. That took up both gift cards and comes out to 3 bucks per card when you include shipping -- because there are only 32 cards in the box. There is no justification for that. It's outrageous.
 
3. The 1955 design is boring. I've thought that since the first time I saw it.
 
4. IMO, the Chrome Platinum series should not even be a series. I liked it when it started with 1952. I've ignored it ever since. The color parallels used with this set I find gross, especially the year the series used the 1953 design.
 
But hell let's look at the cards and try to find something redeeming.
 
Pack 1
 

301 - Spencer Bivens, Giants
129 - Logan Gilbert, Mariners
55WS-1 - Roy Campanella, Dodgers
116 - Adolis Garcia, Rangers
 
The Campanella insert, which is from a series that commemorates the 1955 World Series, is a good pull. Spencer Bivens has spent just about all of 2026 in Triple A and Adolis Garcia has been a member of the Phillies since the start of the season.
 
 
Pack 2
 

182 - Will Smith, Dodgers
26 - Cody Bellinger, Yankees
55DH-19 - Bob Gibson/Lou Brock, Cardinals
123 - Jackson Merrill, Padres
 
Another Dodger pull, though I suspect Johnny already has the Will Smith card queued up for shipment to the night owl nest.
 

The double-sided Gibson/Brock card is from the Doubleheaders insert set. This set is already 500 cards without the inserts and you're not getting many cards per box so Fanatics is actively rooting against set collectors.
 
 
Pack 3
 

235 - Jose Canseco, Athletics
111 - Matt Chapman, Giants
153 - Christopher Morel, Rays, Topps logo refractor /499
31 - Javier Baez, Tigers
 
As you can imagine there are approximately 50 different refractor parallels -- more if you include the autograph cards. Christopher Morel has been a Florida Marlin since season's start.
 
 
Pack 4
 

406 - Vladimir Guerrero, Expos
242 - Andres Galarraga, Expos, prism refractor
231 - Jackson Jobe, Tigers
144 - Gerrit Cole, Yankees, blue prism refractor
 
I did fairly well with Expos pulls in this box, although two of them are parallels. Andres Galarraga's name is misspelled with the extra "L" added in his last name. Also, I had enough of pulling Jackson Jobe cards last year. I don't need to be doing it in 2026 especially since he hasn't pitched this year.
 
 
Pack 5
 

177 - Josh Smith, Rangers
355 - DJ Herz, Nationals
136 - Aaron Judge, Yankees, orange vibration parallel, /25
252 - Brooks Baldwin, White Sox
 
I couldn't have pulled a better player (well, it could've been a Dodger) for a numbered-to-25 card even if the parallel is silly. It looks like some 1970s Scooby Doo cartoon graphic to convey time travel. ... Brooks Baldwin hasn't been in the majors since last year and Herz hasn't been in the majors since 2024.
 
 
Pack 6
 

267 - Marcelo Mayer, Red Sox
10 - Colton Cowser, Orioles
55RS-13 - Pedro Martinez, Red Sox, 1955 Rails and Sails insert
261 - David Morgan, Padres
 
All three current players still with the same team! 
 
 
Pack 7
 

444 - Billy Martin, Yankees
167 - Manny Machado, Padres
156 - Aaron Nola, Phillies
465 - Mike Piazza, Mets
 
It's cool to see Billy Martin in this set. It's probably too much to expect but I'd like to see more time-appropriate players in this set each year. Mike Piazza means little to me in a set with the 1955 design but '50s players do.
 
This is the first pack without an insert or a parallel, which again underlines how stacked the deck is against set collectors.
 
Pack 8
 

39 - Teoscar Hernandez, Dodgers
435 - Pedro Martinez, Expos, prism refractor
474 - Mark Buehrle, White Sox
423 - Jimmy Rollins, Phillies
 
Another Dodger and a second Pedro Martinez in the box.
 
If I was collecting this set, I got a grand total of 23 cards from the set for the low low price of $89.
 
None of this is shocking to me. I knew what I was getting into and had the gift cards to soften the blow. It was not my money down the drain but it was somebody's. (I did not let the gift-card providers know what a sad commentary this box was on the current state of the hobby).
 
Sure, everyone collects differently and sees value in different cards, but nobody likes getting ripped off. I'd recommend not buying this.

Comments

Could Bivens look any sadder? When I first saw the cards, I too noted how many players were on different teams now; it's to the point with this product, and even Stadium Club, that Toppsnatics/Fanatopps needs to just skip a year and get on schedule; or, don't produce 2,471 parallels and inserts (which clearly delays the timeliness of products). Ugh. All in all, the cards look really boring; Topps Big boring.
That is making me really appreciate getting 80ish % of the set for less than a quarter a card. BTW: I need the 252 Brooks Baldwin, 423 Rollins, and 465 Piazza. :)
Doc Samson said…
Thanks for this post, Mr. Owl. Sadly the current state of the hobby has turned me into more of an observer than a collector. Nice pull on the Judge. Hopefully you can get some kind of a return on it (if you want to go that route).
Jeremya1um said…
That is a very unsatisfying total of cards for that much money. I was expecting like 5 more packs and then it ended up being the end of the post.
Glad you pulled some Dodgers and the Judge parallel.
John Sharp said…
I like these cards. Can't afford any boxes right now, I got my cards at the June card show in Kalamazoo and several Matthew Boyd cards on eBay. I'll collect as many BOYD cards as possible.

Good Job! 👍
Matt said…
i would never pay that, wow. But loving the judge! one of the very few newer baseball chases i have. This would be an expensive set build at that cost thats for sure
Zippy Zappy said…
If it makes you feel any better you could get a vintage T206 tobacco card for $89.
Bo said…
Billy's facial expression on that card is priceless.

They should make the doubleheader cards fold out like the originals. I know it's chrome and not cardboard, but if they can make phones that fold these days, they could make chrome cards that fold.