Skip to main content

This month

 
Longtime readers will know that I am not a fan of this month.

March is usually the most stressful month on the calendar for me. Work is the busiest; when my kid was in school, school was the busiest; it's the most birthday-dominated month ever; the weather can be bizarre; and, finally, let's throw a day where you get one less hour of sleep into a month whose worst trait is that it is a time-suck.

I am experiencing that again, although I've learned to calm down about it -- except, um, for this post -- and roll with the punches. I also insist on blogging during this time. Where other bloggers, probably smartly, disappear for three weeks during their busiest times, I plow through and bitch.

This year's March story involves folks placing two card shows near me in the middle of this month. Who does that? I have never experienced a card show in March, nor seen one advertised, near me. I just figured everyone was too damn busy this month for a hobby. But I guess it's not a hobby for a bunch of people now.

Anyway, I can't go to either of those shows. No time (especially for the one crazily dropped smack in the middle of state high school championships and the NCAA basketball tournament) and also no money. Multiple birthdays, remember?

But I planned for this.
 
I knew about the shows ahead of time, I set aside some cash that I would have normally used on the show(s), and then I went looking for something card-like online. Not much appealed to me. But out of the blue, someone on Twitter offered up some 1969 Topps needs. After a bit of negotiating, I landed 37 wants. I'd like to see card-show me do that kind of damage on one set.
 

The cards vary in condition. A handful I may upgrade, while some are freakishly immaculate. In general, I like my late '60s cards to be in VG-EX to welcome them into my collection, but I'm not too particular for '69. If it's got its corners and all of its paper, it's likely ideal.
 
 

I have mentioned many times on this blog how "odd" I find the 1969 set, the fact that Topps didn't have the rights to photograph players for all but the high-numbers portion of the set leads to some weirdness that even teenage me, who was absolutely oblivious to stuff like airbrushing, take note. "What is with all the black hats they wore way back in that ancient time?" I said.

I've enjoyed, and also been annoyed at the circle that is at the heart of the '69 set's design. When the photo is ideal (think Cleon Jones), then it's a marvelous card. But often I can see how Topps shifted the photo to accommodate the circle and I can't unsee it.

The league leaders cards is an example of the circle infringing on the picture. I've never enjoyed these leader cards very much. But a card with Bob Gibson on it makes no excuses.



I have also mentioned how I first came across the 1969 Topps set. It was the main set in my friend's haul from his older brother. A lot of '71s and a few '70s and '68s, but the majority were '69s. This is why I am collecting it and have a little bit of an attachment to it. All I needed to do to acquire these cards was trade away some of my 1978 Topps Yankees. Did I mention I was doing this in 1978? It hurt to give up current cards as a youngster, but even then I knew what was up. Hell, these cards were five years older than when I first discovered cards!

Orlando Cepeda was one of those cards. Then it disappeared, probably under the mistaken belief that I would never be interested in completing this set.



"Rod". How strange. I am seeing this card for the first time. I thought it was an entirely new player I had never heard of before, but that's because I'm a '70s kid and his name was "Elrod" on my baseball cards.



Key card. His last one as a Cardinal, along with the All-Star card (and the deckle-edge card). Flood looks sleepy.
 
 

These All-Star cards, along with the World Series cards in the newspaper format (who remembers when that was the inspiration for my blog look?) were instant favorites when I saw all those '69s on the front porch of my friend.

Brooksy is a definite upgrade but the others work great. And it's good to have the Kessinger card back because I used to own that before.



A couple of key rookie cards, especially the Rollie Fingers, which outside the Reggie Jackson, is the biggest rookie in the set. Rookie-chasers are a constant pain in the butt for set collectors, hiking the prices of certain cards unnecessarily. I am perpetually envious of people who collected as adults in the '70s and could grab cards like that with limited thought.



The haul from Joe included a number of cards from high-number set, which is very cool.
 
 

This card isn't a high number but these themed cards that mostly appear later in the set fascinate me. It's almost as if they were thrown in at the last minute. Also, I'm thinking Topps kicked itself for not waiting to use this card a couple years later with Palmer and Dobson replacing Phoebus and Hardin.



Finally, Ted Shows How! Yes!

Beauty card and another Ted The Thumper card for my collection. I haven't done a lot of Teddy Ballgame gathering since grabbing the '56 card a few years ago, so this one feels good.

Speaking of Ted Showing How, maybe he can show me the way to a Reggie or Bench or Nolan or Mantle in my price range.

I had no idea I'd be chasing this set along with the 1970 Topps set, but 1969s have been falling in my lap since last summer, and now I'm trying to track down some of the same culprits in each.

But there's no rush. Someday it won't be March. The wallet will loosen and the clock will carve out some free time and "look, there's a show this weekend and I can go!"

(P.S.: I'm not collecting the name color variations).

Comments

Nick said…
I'm glad you showed a few of the '69 All-Star cards, because I really don't think those get enough love. One of my favorite vintage subsets. Also "Ted Shows How" is simply an excellent card - the best way I can think of to describe it is just "pure baseball."
bryan was here said…
I do love the '69 set, especially the high numbers. I wasn't aware that Topps wasn't permitted to photograph players until later in the year.

That "Rod" Hendricks reminds me of the '70 Topps "Clayton" Dalrymple. Why they did that seems rather odd.
Nick Vossbrink said…
2018 Heritage was probably my favorite Heritage set because it showed what 1969 could look like with consistently good photography (yes Topps was mailing it in but it was still better than the originals). It's also the only Giants team set I have completed from the 1960s. That high number Bonds rookie was a pain.
bbcardz said…
1969 Topps is one of my all-time favorite sets. Love seeing all the cards here in your post.

"Speaking of Ted Showing How, maybe he can show me the way to a Reggie or Bench or Nolan or Mantle in my price range."

Lol, those are the four exact cards I need to complete my '69 set. Maybe it will happen if I get a really huge tax refund...and fool that I am, I'm going for all of the various variations.
carlsonjok said…
I'm envious. I'm 15 cards from finishing 1969 and that Rollie Fingers has been eluding me for a while now. It seems almost as hard to pin down as the 1965 Bob Uecker, which was one of the last cards I needed for that set and way too expensive for a career .200 hitter.
Billy Kingsley said…
Topps missed a major opportunity here, they could have placed the circle right over the blacked out hats.
Jim said…
I'm with you, and I've always found the 1969 Topps set "odd" and I deemed it not worthy of collecting. I started collecting the set only because I have everything back to 1970, and this seemed like a logical next step. And as I've been collecting it, I'm starting to appreciate it? I remember the rush I got when I first saw Marlins and Rockies cards, and how foreign it was to have those new teams in a set. With the 1969 set, young collectors would have had that feeling x 4.

I do wish there had been more combo cards, and not just four. This set was not a great year for subset cards.
Old Cards said…
1969, the year I quit collecting cold turkey to pursue cars and hanging with friends. In adulthood, I took comfort in my decision because I considered the design and some of the photos lame. In retrospect, the cards look pretty good. Good luck in your pursuit.
1984 Tigers said…
If I recall, Marvin Miller was the players union prez and didn't feel topps was paying enough for the card contract and told his players to not cooperate with photographers from topps. They appeared to have settled the big issues in late 1968, which meant they could photo again in 1969 spring training. This led to some repeat photos. Check out the 1968 and 69 Aaron's. Same photo.

Luckily I picked up the Fingers card before he got into the HOF. Until him, Hoyt Wilhelm was only reliever in the hall.

I love the set. My only beef is lack of team cards. Tigers won it all in 1968 so the 69 WS cards are precious in michigan.

I bought a few larger lots on ebay so I could easily upgrade my set and still have a few dupes of most of the cards. Eventually plan to sell these as either singles or team lots. Just been too lazy to start listing my dupes for salem The Seattle Pilots cards used to fetch a premium.

The Dooley Womark card is funny because he was one of the guys Jim Bouton wrote about and called him a hillbilly in Ball Four. Both were on the Pilots.

My only regret is I had a double of bench and sent him to him to sign. He sent it back with a stamped auto, which makes the card worth less than if I had just keep it as is!

I got Ryan to sign my 1969 card of him at tiger stadium around my 15th birthday in July 1978. Still have that treasured card and memory!

Paul t
1984 Tigers said…
Forgot to mention that many years ago I found the full lot of name and photo variations for Rodriguez, Perranoski, Dalrymple, Popovich, and Clendenon at a good price. I had always wanted those cards but not the color variations.

Mom and dad bought me some packs for my 6th birthday that July. I have a photo with the open pack showing Bill Freehan AS number 431 so the 5th series must have been out then. I guess that 6th series which was the 1st to show players in their new expansion unis came out in August and 7th probably early September. I only saw two padres cards in the new unis. A three player rookie card and johnny Podres in the final series.

Paul t
Jon said…
I would hate to be in the Newspaper business during March Madness. Few things sound worse.
Would you say that the Rollie Fingers (shared) rookie card is bigger the Bobby Bonds' rookie card (that includes a trophy)?
In 1969, Tom Phoebus and Jim Hardin were just coming off 15 and 18 win seasons respectively, so were considered key members of the staff (while Palmer had labored in the minors in '67 and '68, due to arm issues following his 1966 World Series heroics).
1984 Tigers said…
Another interesting thing about the 69 topps set was the inserts. People remember the deckle cards, but not many remember the decals that you could stick on your bedroom door. For years, my brother and I had a slew of the 69 decals stuck on our bedroom door, including mantle!

Not sure what series included the decals but those at least survived many seasons, whereas mom, as per tradition, took the cards out to the curb after the season since we left them around and had no interest in keeping old cards.
Fuji said…
Those Sporting New A/S cards are awesome! One day I'd like to get an example from each of the Topps sets over the years and rank them. I'm guessing the 1969's would be in the Top 5.

As for March... it's rough for me too (but not nearly as rough as October). This month has been especially rough which means I'll probably be disappearing here and there from the blogosphere.
night owl said…
@Jim from Dowwnington ~

In terms of price and Hall of Fameness, yes, Shared Fingers rookie > Bonds rookie. That said, I like the Bonds card much better and I still don't have it (think I traded it away).

As for the O's aces, my point was 20-20-20-21 is better than that crew so where was the Bird Hill Aces card in '71 Topps?