Skip to main content

I'd rather buy than sell

 
 
Yes, I'd rather buy than sell. I think most collectors can relate to that. People who repeatedly rejoice in selling cards usually get the side-eye from me.

I've addressed the buying vs. selling in the past, but I have another little story to underline it. First, just three cards that I've purchased recently.


Card No. 470 in my 1975 Topps buyback quest. I'm fully at 71 percent of the set now (71.2% to be more accurate). With this card I believe I've exhausted the supply from the one ebay seller who was offering these very reasonably.

But as others have mentioned, next year should be a bonanza of '75 buybacks with the release of 2024 Heritage. I've got my hopes up for some of those elusive cards. Better not be stamping more Oscar Zamoras.


Yeah, this is what I was referring to in the Ron Cey birthday post from last week. This is the "card" that did not arrive in time.

It's one of the trimmed pictures from the page inserts in the All-Star Game programs during the 1980s, this one from 1982 when the game was in Montreal. The inserts were featured in programs from 1981-86 (figures, I bought the 1980 one back then, nothing cool like that inside).

It's super tiny and flimsy and just the thing a player completist would buy.


The interesting back. ... There aren't a lot of Ron Cey cards left for me to acquire unless I want to go the crazy parallel route or scoop up the rest of the relics I don't own. (And forget about the Cubs and A's cards). But I'll still be on the lookout just in case he pops up in sets again.
 

 
The final purchase I'll cover here. I love getting notable Hershiser cards that have somehow missed my collection.

This is the O-Pee-Chee version of Orel Hershiser's rookie card. I realized I didn't have this yet and went wandering through ebay for something cheap. As usual, when it comes to rookie cards of notables, there were a whole bunch of graded copies. Graded 1980s cards, well I can't think of a bigger hobby scam that's been accepted into the mainstream. I bought this card for $6.99 (free shipping). I saw graded versions for $25, $50 and $199. Just nuts. Sure, this card is off-center, but if you go looking for problems, you'll find them. And you'll pay.
 
This is why I'll never be much of a seller. I understand why people get cards graded and sell them, they get more dollars (theoretically). But I don't think I could do that without feeling a little queasy. That Hershiser is an $8 card, maybe $10. That's all it is. I'm not paying an extra 90 bucks for plastic and a label.
 
This brings me to my recent experience with the selling game, which I referred to briefly last week. The funds for these three cards (which barely cost 10 bucks) and for what I spent at the card show the other day, came from selling this:
 

I've shown this ticket before. My grandfather gave it to me. It's from Game 6 of the 1951 World Series, notable for being the Series-clincher and also Joe DiMaggio's final game.
 
I don't know the history behind it as far as my grandfather. Obviously the ticket was used, but I don't know if he attended the game. He died when I was 12.
 
It's a nice item, but I don't collect tickets and it sat in an envelope for decades. Once I heard that tickets were selling for weird prices, like all memorabilia the last three years, I figured now was the time. Funds just haven't been there these first couple months of 2023 (buy a box of Series 1? HAH!) and February is a short month, all you bill payers know that. 

So I put it up for sale, sold it for a decent sum and waited for the cash. And waited. And waited. Three days go by. Every other sale I've made, the buyer paid within a day. I finally sent a reminder -- hey, haven't gotten payment, you've got a day to go -- basic stuff (ebay recommends 4 days to pay).

Well the buyer got both defensive and accusatory (two signs of the guilty). Called my reminder, "ridiculous," said he's never received negative feedback (did I say I was going to give negative feedback?) and accused me of not being happy with the purchase price and eager to relist (yeah, because I'm that guy). I instantly regretted selling the ticket and may have apologized to my grandpa.

Oh, and the dude paid right away after his response.

That annoyed the hell out of me, and showed that I can't move on from stuff like that very well. I'll still sell periodically but that garbage I don't need. Ebay needs to get it straightened out or I'll sell on other sites exclusively. Buying is fun. Or almost always is. Selling is work and attracts some shitty behavior.

May I always have the funds to buy. Because I don't want to sell.

Comments

That stinks you had a dink buying the ticket. People can be jerks and the buyer way over-reacted. I prefer buying too. I really actually prefer acquiring. Buying and more recently trading. Getting rid of a card or two I don't want for a card or two I do feels like a win. Even if the cards I'm getting are stupid variations missing a period or having two asterisks. Nice pick-ups!
I'm with you. I used to sell on occasion, but not anymore. It doesn't jive with my life as a collector/hoarder. :) Man, it is refreshing to be reminded of your stance on grading in the hobby, particularly 80s cards. It helps to know I'm not alone and that someone who is informed about this hobby also doesn't need the opinions of others. Collectors weren't sticking their cards in plastic cases with numbered labels back when I first started collecting in the mid-1980s. No, I'm not the grumpy get off my lawn old guy (I do own a few graded cards from earlier exploits), I simply have been collecting for over 30 years, and don't need their "help." Thanks for another timely post.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Oh man this is why I took the stack of cards I wanted to move to the show and sold them to the dealer Iiked. I can't be bothered to deal with all tha crap on ebay just give me my cash and call it a day.
Old Cards said…
Sold a 59 Koufax several years ago at a card show. Even though I have another one, I regret it. I have a hard time getting rid of my stuff. I had rather buy!
bryan was here said…
I'm definitely a buyer. I have sold some of my Hot Wheels on the Bay in the past. I did have one person who complained that the packaging was "torn open" upon receipt and he wanted a refund. This was after he offered a lower price than my list price and I accepted. I told him, no, you already got it for less than my asking. Never heard anything else after.

Another person I sold to kept blowing up my messages wanting feedback. I'm horrible at leaving feedback, mainly because I buy so much. Some people just have this incessant need to feel validated.

/rant off
GCA said…
Since I don't collect shiny rare Bowman rookie cards, I don't have extras to sell. That's basically why I didn't sell a thing at the one show I set up at a few years ago. I'm having better luck with the first batch on COMC, but even that only moves certain things.
I'd much rather put trades together where I move 3x as much as I receive. Have had a few good ones on the Database lately.

Can't wait til you finish the '75 buyback set! Hope I can help sometime..
I used to make 2-300 purchases a year from Ebay. I haven't been happy with them for many years now. Of course that is the buying side. These days I rarely login to the site. My guess is I won't make more than a dozen buys this year in total from them. I wish they would disappear.
Michael D said…
I haven't been reading your blog very long so I'm curious as to what is the '75 buyback quest? I got its about the 1975 set, but the buyback? Let me know!
night owl said…
"Buybacks" are older cards that Topps has "bought back" from collectors or dealers or whoever and inserted into new product. Topps has done this for years. In the last 10 years or more, those buybacks were stamped on the front. Imagine a card from 1966 now with a stamp! That's always bugged me. My favorite set is the '75 Topps set, so I've been trying to gather as many stamped buybacks that I can in an attempt to "complete" the set (I don't know if every card in the set is stamped). I started doing this about 7 years ago, I've got 470 of the 660 cards.

This post explains it in more detail:

https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2021/04/more-of-those-stupid-buybacks-and.html
Nick said…
Stories like yours are why I rarely sell cards. Haven't encountered any assholes (yet) but the simple act of online selling itself just always gives me a headache.

I actually have two of the same booklet from the 1983 Comiskey Park ASG. I've been tempted to cut out the photos on one of them but haven't yet because I can't justify counting those as "cards" - this coming from someone who considers almost anything a card.
The Turrdog said…
Sellers can't leave negative feedback. The only thing a seller can do is open a non-paying buyer or bidder report.
1984 Tigers said…
The old saying "the chase is always more fun than the catch" applies here. Buying in the chase, while selling is like catch and release the fish.

What I miss most about the pre 2000s era of card shows is the connections that I made. I spent a lot more money outside of the shows, buying cards from dealers I met at a show, than I spent AT the show. This built up a trusted relationship. It was great when dealers had my want list and checked in with me when they had a "find" that might interest me.

I was able to get a bunch of nice 1957 topps, the entire high series of 1972 topps football (harder to find than the holy grail), 1954 topps Aaron and kaline, 1956 mantle, 1967 topps carew rc, etc.

For family reasons (neither daughters nor my.son in law could care less about sports), will slowly be selling off the collection over the next 10 to 20 years. Not an easy decision considering how much time, money, and effort went into this from late 70s to early 00s, but will have the satisfaction of splurging on them on the wife with proceeds.

Night owl, thanks for the daily blog. Keeps us retirees awake!

Fuji said…
That ticket is so cool... especially since your grandpa handed it down to you. Sorry the buyer was a jerk. It's these kinds of stories that just support the fact that I'd much rather buy than sell too. I mean... the past two years, I've sold way more than bought. But if you look at my lifetime... I've probably made 300 to 500 purchases for every sale.
Michael Ott said…
I hear you -- selling is way too much work! I recently put a few unwanted/duplicate cards up for auction and all high bidders paid promptly except one. Final price was significantly lower than I was hoping, so I won't send a reminder. I'll happily cancel if still unpaid after a week. Maybe try again someday, once I forget what a pain it is to deal with people.
Chris said…
Yep, eBay becomes a bigger and bigger headache every year. I'm dreading having to sell two cards that are too valuable to trade but don't fit my collection (and I kinda need cash right now). Maybe I'll try and sell them elsewhere for the reasons you mentioned.
Crocodile said…
I'm always buying, it's just plain easy to do. Selling off part of my collection is tough, but I also have to realize I'm not getting younger. I dread selling through online sites.
Jon said…
I think that your buyer was an anomaly. I've done about 300 sales on eBay over the last 3-4 years, and have had only one minor issue with an impatient buyer.
Jafronius said…
Complete agreement...don't like selling my stuff and don't have any plans to do so.
Benjamin said…
I'm with you too...much better to collect than to sell. The hobby is pretty split between collectors and investors, those who buy cards and then turn right around and sell them for a markup, or list the "hits" on eBay and COMC and whatnot.

The only time I sell cards is when I have a surplus of doubles. There's a guy locally who will buy these from me. It's never much money in the slightest, but it's enough to allow me to save up for a blaster box of the current Topps set or pick up some other cheap sets from my LCS or Facebook marketplace. But that's rare.

Also eBay usually stinks, but sometimes you find those sites that sell like 50 cards for $3 or something, which is good for a set completionist. And maybe you get lucky and can Buy It Now on a single rookie that everyone else (ahem Sportlots) is charging a lot for.
Wendell said…
Oh, no. Wendell will never sell cards after Wendell got a table at a show in Dallas in 1990. It was the height of everything trading cards. They actually had a UV coated set of cards for “This Old House” and it sold! Cheerleader cards and there were the cards of Paulie Shore “trying” to do every day tasks and failing. Too realistic for me. Well, it was a beautiful autumn day and it was a Saturday morning. Some guy had “Slaughter” playing on a boombox and a WW2 veteran rapped the guys arm with his cane and said “I didn’t take shrapnel in my rear end to let hippies like you muss up this country.” Someone spilled a TAB cola on a binder I had of 1989 Upper Deck and it was just awful. They did a boxing match at the halfway point (it was a hall) and the two guys got serious and they landed on my table and I even got jabbed in a place I won’t say. I made $12.44 on a $25 table and I had diet cola in my shoes and a ringing between my pockets that didn’t settle for days. I did, however purchase a mint copy of Dale Murphy’s Topps rookie and the guy ended up giving it to me after seeing the day I had. I miss that community feeling.