Skip to main content

Through the years 3

 
Now that the 2022 Heritage Clayton Kershaw card has been secured, I can update a post series that hasn't been visited in just over three years.

But, first, a brief diatribe on not being able to obtain the Heritage Kershaw card until there was barely a week left in 2022.

Kershaw's card was stashed in the Heritage High Numbers series, which isn't released until the fall, or in 2022's case, just before the start of winter. This is ridiculous, even though I fully understand Topps' reason why.

I have known Heritage High Numbers since its beginning as a place where new players show up or players who have changed teams. Kershaw is neither a new player nor, thank goodness, has he changed teams. But, in an effort to entice people to purchase High Numbers, the last couple years Topps has placed veteran star players into High Numbers to make it more attractive. In 2021, Walker Buehler didn't show up until High Numbers.

This coming year, Heritage should be recognizing the 1974 design, and that year was the end -- for a long time -- of releasing sets in multiple stages for Topps, so I hope we're done with this "high numbers" nonsense (probably not).

Oh, and Topps also made Kershaw an SP in High Numbers. Jerks. Thank goodness I have a blog.

OK, I'm done being cranky. Let's get to the point of the post.

The Through The Years post is an attempt to track how many Topps designs Clayton Kershaw has been featured on over the years. This was inspired by blogger Brian's attempt for Joe Mauer over at the casually updated Highly Subjective And Completely Arbitrary.

Topps likes using its old designs so much that accumulating these hasn't been too difficult. And even though just three years has passed since my last update, I've added a bunch more, because Topps has really gone into overdrive on the self-design love the last couple years.


Here is what I've added since the last post in November 2019. Designs Kershaw appeared on for the first time are 1954, 1973, 1974, 1984, 1986 and 1992. I also added updated versions of the 1971 and 1972 designs because what I had for Kershaw previously for those two are mini cards, and we all know there were no minis in 1971 and 1972.

But that's not all of the past designs that have shown Kershaw the last three years.


Just a few. Yeah, two 1952 designs. There's another 1957, as well as a couple new 1965s, in my collection, too, I just didn't feel like pulling them out. Redundancy makes me lazy. (And let's not even get into all the new 1987s 😒).

So with all those additions, it's time to add to the year-by-year rundown that I've done for each of these posts.


1951 


1952

 
 
1953



1954


1957



1958



1959



1960



1961



1962



1963



1964



1965



1966


1967


1968



1969



1970

 
 
1971


1972


1973



1974




1975



1976



1977



1978



1980



1982



1983



1984



1985



1986



1987



1989



1990



1991



1992



2001



2008



2009



2010


2011



2012



2013



2014


2015


2016


2017


2018


2019


2020

 
 
2021

2022

That's all of them, or at least all I have. I swear next time I'm just going to take a snapshot of all of them together to save time, but I know that will spoil the effect. (But it won't illustrate any less effectively that Topps is determined to use "Kershaw On The Mound Throwing A Pitch" as his flagship photo for his entire career. See 2009-22).
 
I've made quite a bit of progress, although that 1978 is still not right (the design and that Dodger uniform Kershaw is wearing). Archives could've corrected that this year by putting Kershaw with the '78 design instead of another '63 card of him.
 
But I'm not worried. At the rate Topps is churning out the oldie designs, I may have this wrapped up by 2024.
 
Here is what's left:
 
1955, 1956, 1979, 1981, 1988, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
 
I am hoping that Topps continues its insert trend of 35 years ago by finally giving us the 1988 design this coming year. I would think that the 1956 design is coming to Archives soon, although I think I said that in the last post (Archives did revisit 1955 recently but Kershaw showed up on the '74 design that year).
 
All right, nothing more to do now except sit back and wait for Topps to bury us in old designs.

Comments

Old Cards said…
I have come to the point where I really enjoy the year-by-year same player progression of cards even to the extent of reorganizing my collection that way except for my complete sets. The 2 1963 formats look great!
Brett Alan said…
And another 1974 is coming next year. BTW, you left that one out of the big list although it's pictured at the top.

night owl said…
Fixed ... yup, I'm gonna take care of this post the next time all in one photo.
Nick Vossbrink said…
I've decided that I hate the design reuse. That said. I love this concept.
Jeremya1um said…
I figure at least 1 or 2 card blogs are on Topps’ radar, and I’m really surprised that they haven’t reached out to you yet to let you know that they are going to do a few more Kershaws in old designs that he hasn’t appeared on yet. That’s the least they could do for one of the most popular blogs. I’m also surprised for no regular 1978 design and no 1956 card. They could also do one of those 1 player 50 card highlight sets (seems like Tatis or Machado will get a set with Topps’ Padres crush) and use each Topps design for a card in the set.
So, are there more Kershaws in the 1987 design than all of the other years combined?
BaseSetCalling said…
I track one player this way now - Miggy - though just as a text list so far. I can’t say I have optimism on some of the late 90s sets, at least via regular ole sets of cards sold in retail stores.

However Topps does create runs like this for the Transcendent “product” though only for the high rollers who attend the VIP event with a current player. A set of cards on each Topps design is created for that player and printed at a /87 or so print run and given to the attendees.

So the concept is known to Topps and I would definitely not be surprised to see it be used for other players and other products eventually. Though I think it could easily also become a be-careful-wish-for-concept if they do it as a /139 or some such low # if you order direct before 10 am on Tuesday or something. And if you don’t…
night owl said…
@Jeremya1um ~

LOL, on the last Through the Years post, I asked Topps to maybe take it back a notch on inserts and where did that get me?

I have no pull.
I have come to the conclusion that you no longer collect or want any more Kershaw cards, so I know it is so kind of me to accept them to lessen your burden, and it really is okay to include those extra rookies too. I promise I don't mind.
carlsonjok said…
I am really rather surprised that Topps hasn't done more '55 and '56 throwback cards. Though, I suppose it is easier to just grab a photo, throw a design template over the top and call it a day. Cards referencing '55 and '56 would actually involve more than cursory design work.
Billy Kingsley said…
That's really a cool collection. I hope they bring the Heritage set back when they get the NBA license back in a couple years. We only got two sets out of it.

Topps has such a large design pool, it would be cool to see them use the designs from other ports from time to time.
GCA said…
They do use the other sports' designs. They're just on the online exclusives like Throwback Thursdays. Ugh.

You'd think all this recycling by a cardboard maker would be a good thing, but they do more of this than actually create new designs....
Anonymous said…
@BaseSetCalling

They used to do this Cardboard Icons thing...oversized reprints of the entire flagship card run of big names: https://www.cardboardconnection.com/2015-topps-cardboard-icons-baseball

Which honestly was cool idea that could probably make a comeback in some form now.

I sprang for the /199 Frank Thomas set, and while I'm glad I own it, it won't come as a surprise to anyone that the execution was less than ideal. Seems like they hastily blew up low quality images of the original cards, rather than properly scaling them at high resolution.
Crh614 said…
I love these kind of comparisons, and am also hoping Topps goes with the '88 design next year. I would imagine Kershaw is at or very near the top of the list for players who have appeared in the most years designs (maybe Pujols as the head compitions?)
John Bateman said…
Except for his rookie card - all his topps cards have him throwing on the mound - that is 14 consecutive years in a row. I wonder if that is a Topps base card record for Pitchers.
Nick said…
I think this is a fascinating study and I've done it with a few of my bigger player collections as well. I really hope we get to see Kershaw on the '88 design soon - for some reason I think he'd look great on it.