Skip to main content

Christmas made me do it

 
Living in a small city, that is not near any larger city, means you're going to end up in Walmart near Christmas at some point.

I can say all I want, "I don't go to Walmart," and most of the time that's true. Ordering online has helped me hold to that motto, but sometimes you need something quickly, especially at this time of year, and the only damn place --- damn, damn, damn -- that you know it's going to be, is Walmart.

So I planned it out, as I often have to do for an evil Walmart trip. I got up extra early and made sure I was there by 9 a.m. It was still too busy for my taste, but at least the aisles weren't clogged with the plague of cart-leaning people like they are for 90 percent of my visits there.

Things were clear enough for me to actually check out the card kiosk area (which is really a "knickknacks you don't need to have" area) for the first time in forever. And, shockingly, there were some cards there.

Yeah, most of it was Panini junk, but I spotted the Archives blasters right away. Just a couple of them. Archives isn't anything I planned on buying like this -- no gift card and almost all the Dodgers already in my collection -- but this was the first time I had spotted cards like this in Walmart since early 2020. It was a no-brainer to try one.
 
And if I actually need an excuse, here it is: Christmas made me do it. That and not living in a well-populated area.
 
 
 
Let's see what's in Archives this year: 

PACK 1


17 - Alex Bregman, Astros ('63)
85 - Joey Votto, Reds ('63)
163 - Stan Musial, Cardinals ('78)
110 - Hyun-Jin Ryu, Blue Jays ('78)
234 - David Wright, Mets ('87), green parallel
PC-14 - Ronald Acuna Jr., Braves, postcard insert
222 - Jazz Chisholm Jr., Marlins ('87)
295 - Casey Mize, Tigers ('87)

I've mentioned before how weird it is to see parallels of old-time designs, but the boringness of 1987 really lends itself to some color to spice it up. I can think of at least three collectors who could get that Wright. I'll have to do some randomizing.
 
 
PACK 2


61- Hoy Park, Pirates ('63)
19 - Matt Olson, Braves ('63)
47 - Matt Manning, Tigers ('63)
147 - Robbie Ray, Mariners ('78)
190 - Lucius Fox, Nationals ('78)
303 - Javier Baez, Cubs ('55 Scoops)
273 - Nick Castellanos, Phillies ('87)
260 - Romy Gonzalez, White Sox ('87)
 
I should not be buying new cards anymore. Two guys in this pack who I know nothing about. A couple more who I can tell you what team they play for and nothing else.
 
 
PACK 3
 

45 - Rollie Fingers, Athletics ('63)
25 - Alan Trammell, Tigers ('63)
184 - Jake Meyers, Astros ('78)
107 - Freddie Freeman, Dodgers ('78)
193 - Javier Baez, Tigers ('78)
88BF-42 - Ivan Rodriguez, Rangers ('88 Big Baseball)
290 - Cal Raleigh, Mariners ('87)
205 - Adolis Garcia, Rangers ('87)
219 - Jim Thome, Phillies ('87)
 
I liked seeing the Rollie Fingers come out of the pack, even if it's weird seeing him on the '63 design. As for the designs themselves, the '78 is the only one that interests me and even that isn't too exciting. The '87s, as usual, are sapping my will to live.
 
 
PACK 4
 

100 - Juan Soto, Nationals ('63)
53 - Mike Zunino, Rays ('63)
140 - Gerrit Cole, Yankees ('78)
29 - Manny Machado, Padres ('63)
162 - Nelson Cruz, Nationals ('78)
136 - Yogi Berra, Yankees ('78)
88BF-5 - Gavin Sheets, White Sox ('88 Big Baseball)
296 - Harmon Killebrew, Twins ('87)
240 - Tom Seaver, Mets ('87)
 
The pack with the most star power, although I would be happy if I never pulled another Manny Machado card.
 
 
PACK 5
 

14 - Mike Schmidt, Phillies ('63)
54 - Heliot Ramos, Giants ('63)
135 - Bob Feller, Clevelands ('78)
186 - Eddie Murray, Orioles ('78)
158 - Brandon Lowe, Rays ('78)
371 - Cal Ripken Jr., Orioles ('92 MLB Debut)
208 - Nick Plummer, Mets ('87)
262 - Gavin Lux, Dodgers ('87)
 
That Eddie Murray card is a long way from the actual 1978 Eddie Murray card. Practically looks like a painting.


PACK 6


5 - Tyler Gilbert, Diamondbacks ('63)
1 - Shohei Ohtani, Angels ('63)
120 - Fernando Tatis Jr., Padres ('78)
128 - Bryan Reynolds, Pirates ('78)
152 - Corbin Burnes, Brewers ('78)
88BF-14 - Brooks Robinson, Orioles ('88 Big Baseball)
283 - Jared Walsh, Angels ('87)
269 - Trevor Story, Red Sox ('87)
206 - Ian Happ, Cubs ('87)

I sure am picking up some Orioles for my nephew, whose birthday is next month. ... One thing I'll say for Archives is ever since it beefed up the card stock for most of its cards, it's been a little more satisfying to rip.


PACK 7


87 - Ryan McMahon, Rockies ('63)
16 - Josh Hader, Brewers ('63)
95 - Yadier Molina, Cardinals ('63)
180 - Tim Anderson, White Sox ('78)
159 - Luis Frias, Diamondbacks ('78)
326 - Josh Hader, Brewers, ('61 All-Star)
212 - Jake Burger, White Sox ('78)
267 - Carlos Santana, Mariners ('87)

A Josh Hader hot pack. I pull that guy like crazy. And he hasn't been on the Brewers since July.

So, at $24.98 for 59 cards, that was nothing that I needed to buy and wasn't even as interesting as the Allen & Ginter blaster I showed the other day.

You can probably look for a lot of these in trade packages in the future, or, as trade bait on TCDB in the next year as I'm supposedly doing that at some point.

But, overall, if I'm buying cards at Walmart nearly once every three years, I'll take that.

Comments

I'm fond of 1987 Topps for 1987 Topps cards. It is a bit much in Archives and as inserts to the various ridiculous sets Topps has put out. Thank goodness, then, that the year is almost over. Not many 36th anniversaries are worth celebrating.
The older Topps Big gets, the more I appreciate it. I like those retro Bigs.
Old Cards said…
Would never have thought about buying 2022 Archives, but I really like the Rollie Fingers and Mike Schmidt cards. Even though it is the tired old 87 design, that Killebrew card is so nice.
Crocodile said…
It's about time I see 78 in archives, it's is my favorite set. I'd take those in a heartbeat. I need to start picking a few of these.
Nick Vossbrink said…
1. Topps did a decent job with the Diamondbacks script even though it had to get compressed like crazy to fit in the space.

2. REALLY interesting to me that they used Cleveland on the Feller. And holy crap does that script not match the 1978 look at all.

3. LOL at the Scoops card commemorating that all-time stupid play where neither the Pirates nor Baez realized that a force play a 1st negates any runs scoring.
Mike Matson said…
I really like Archives. Don't find it much here.. I should see if the card shop has it..
I still remember the PBP for that weird rundown that shouldn't have been.. The commentary team were going nuts trying to figure out why the first baseman didn't just step on the base and end the madness...
Matt said…
I would have gotten another Ginter if that had been me haha!

Archives can be fun though just for a one time rip
Jon said…
I like the Rollie Fingers card, and that's about it. I'm now kind of hoping that they made a green parallel of that one too.
That Acuna postcard nice, first time I seen it. It would look really good in by Braves collection :)
Jimetal7212 said…
At least the Wright parallel fits the Christmas theme
cdorso said…
AH! That David Wright is a thing of beauty. Would happily find something to trade you for it.
Fuji said…
Nice box. Lots of Padres... even if they aren't all donning Brown & Gold. I also really like the look of the postcard insert. They should have made this a box topper.

As for Walmart, I wish the stores in my area sold cards. I'd probably go a few more times a year if they did (especially to track down some boxes of Topps Holiday).
GCA said…
Oh they had to be PC with the "Cleveland". *sigh* Took me a minute, I thought "He didn't play for the Spiders or anything, did he?"
dayf said…
you buy two blasters and get a Ronald Acuña card in the first pack both times lol
the Baseball Card Gods are having a good laugh at us today
@Fuji, those postcards *are* card toppers. I have a giant Trout postcard... Looks pretty nice.

I still don't know how to store these things though...
... or rather, they *can* be card toppers as well as regular sized cards...

I really should proofread before submitting.
AdamE said…
Are there really 8 cards in some packs and 9 in others all out of the same blaster? I haven't bought a blaster in forever but that seems weird to me.
night owl said…
The 9-card packs have the '88 Big Baseball cards which are 3-to a retail blaster.
BaseSetCalling said…
A bit of a Tigers hit box. Those are rare, trust me.