Skip to main content

What year is it?

 
Oh, Topps, you know me. You know us. So knocked sideways by everything that's been going on in the world the last couple of years, we're not even sure what year it is half the time.

So now is the perfect time to put out a card set made one year ago -- heck, the year of production is right on the box! -- and hope we don't even notice.

I was certainly in that state yesterday. I attended calling hours for my former co-worker who passed last weekend (funeral was earlier today), and I had already made sure I wouldn't be at the office much that day. It was the perfect opportunity to head to the opposite side of town for some retail therapy.

The card shelf was full again. I had my picks. Flagship. Heritage. Opening Day. But the Big League jumped out at me. I saw the "2021." I knew half the players wouldn't be with the teams depicted. I still bought it.
 

I can't help but wonder what casual collectors think, those who don't know that Big League was pushed back an entire year after repeated broken release date promises, when they see cards on the shelf with a 2021 date next to other cards that read 2022.

Will this stuff even sell to anyone but hobby diehards like me? Will people buy it and then come back to the return desk saying, "this is old," like they bought stale donuts from the bakery?

So, anyway, I'm here for you with a blaster of 2021 Big League. I'm not going to show every card, mostly because a lot of these will probably be included in the ongoing giveaway. I'll show a couple each pack. Plus I'm going to document how many cards show players who aren't with the team shown.

Join me as we go back in time.

PACK 1


Favorite card: (tie): Mookie Betts and Gavin Lux
 

 
Most notable card: Tyler Stephenson rookie, blue parallel

The blue parallels are 5 per blaster box. The cool thing about them is they're thrown in as extras in the packs and don't count in the 10-pack total.
 
Cards featuring players no longer with those teams: 2.


PACK 2


Favorite card: Clayton Kershaw
 


Most notable card: J.T. Realmuto, Defensive Wizards insert

I think the look of these "Defensive Wizards" are a step up over the similar-themed Big League insert from the last set.

Cards featuring players no longer with those teams: 2.


PACK 3


Favorite card: Byron Buxton, Wanted poster insert

I always enjoy a good wanted poster design. I even had one created for a feature we did on a high school player probably 25 years ago now. I guess it's a played-out design but I still like it.
 


Most notable card: Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Souvenirs insert

Fairly lame insert idea and look. Unless Topps is going to put a special spin on the idea, I'm done with home run-themed inserts.

Cards featuring players no longer with those teams: 3.


PACK 4


Favorite card: Ronald Acuna Jr.

This automatically heads to the night card binder.



Most notable card: It's an Orange Ohtani!

Cards featuring players no longer with those teams: 1.


PACK 5


Favoritte card: Big League celebrating the 2020 World Series MVP in 2022. I'm down with it.



Most notable card: Mike Yastrzemski, Art of the Game insert

A three-cards-per-blaster is much too plentiful for each to scream "congratulations" on the back.

Cards featuring players no longer with those teams: 2 (throw in a few guys now toiling in the minors and one who retired and that total is now 6).
 

PACK 6
 

 Favorite cards: Cody Bellinger, Defensive Wizard insert

This also serves as the most notable card in the pack. Otherwise not very exciting.

Cards featuring players no longer with those teams: 4.


PACK 7


Favorite card: Walker Buehler, orange parallel
 


Most notable card: I guess, if you're still clinging to the notion that Tatis is going to save baseball for us all.
 
Cards featuring players no longer with those teams: 2.
 

PACK 8


Favorite card: Cody Bellinger, Wanted Poster insert

I'm cleaning up with the Bellinger inserts in this box. Notice that both of them are related to his fielding ... not his hitting.


Most notable card: I'll give it up for Ian Anderson, the Upstate New York boy, although I'm not very happy about the Braves part.

Cards featuring players no longer with those teams: 2.
 
 
PACK 9
 

Favorite card: Jonah Heim. I had no idea that Heim was from Buffalo until my sister-in-law, who lives there, pointed it out to me.

There is no notable card unless you count TWO colored parallels leaders cards with Marcell Ozuna on both of them. Ick.

Cards featuring players no longer with those teams: 3.
 

PACK 10


Most notable card: Victor Robles, black-and-white parallel

A nice reminder that Topps is still inserting low-numbered parallels of players on teams that almost no one collects.

Cards featuring players no longer with those teams: 3.
 
That ends the blaster report.
 
I did pretty well with Dodgers. I also did well with Dodgers in the Big League box breaks over at Nachos Grande. I guess it's time to put up a want list!
 
Outside of that, not much more to say about the long-delayed Big League. The design is OK, nothing all that interesting to me. The backs still have the same Big League interesting factoids ("Last Halloween, Tony [Gonsolin] dressed as Lieutenant Dan - Gary Siniese's character from Forrest Gump.").
 
 

There are still the cards you can cut off the back of the box, although I forgot about that and didn't look to see if there was anyone that fit my collection better than Harper (doubtful, if I'm guessing the others are Ohtani, Trout and Tatis).

I doubt I'll buy more of this though.

Topps can only prey on my weaknesses so many times.

Comments

Sorry to hear about your former co-worker.

I thought Wander was going to save baseball...or was that baseball card flipping?

Nice to hear that the shelves are full again up in your neck of the woods.
John Sharp said…
Love the defensive wizards cards.Catchers card binder cards galore!
Good Job! 👌
nearly half the year in tis tis
bryan was here said…
Looks like a neat set. Shame it took so long to get released. I like that Acuna card and the B/W parallels are a neat touch. I just might snag a box on my next trip to Target.
Fuji said…
I like the Defensive Wizards inserts. They give off an 80's Miami Vice vibe. I thought about buying either a hobby box or a blaster of this stuff, but haven't yet. If I do, it'll be more for the thrill of ripping packs than the love of this product (which is why I'll probably just save my money for Series 2 or Archives.
Doc Samson said…
Thanks for sharing with us, Mr. Owl. And my condolences regarding your co-worker.

This set looks… okay. Reminds me of Collector’s Choice. The photography appears pretty good, but the design leans on the bland side. I like the team colors, but here I think that white borders are a drawback. Some shade of blue would have been nice.

With how delayed this set was, I guess it’s the “Apocalypse Now” of baseball card sets.
Anonymous said…
I don't dig the design. Looks like a minor league set.
Bulldog said…
Definitetly a little meh on the design. I'll grab some for sure if I see them but I wont' go crazy. I had a blaster ordered but of course they got delayed and finally cancelled. I wasn't heartbroken but it did delay the other cards I had ordered until they finally cancelled these. Good post.
Nick said…
I bit the bullet and bought a hobby box of these last week. I like the design, but this year's (last year's?) Big League isn't grabbing me much otherwise. 2020 was admittedly a high bar, but I don't see much excitement here & ironically it feels kinda rushed. That Acuna is fantastic though - hadn't seen that one yet. Glad to see the blaster cut-out cards are back, big fan of those.
OhioTim said…
Wow! You did get quite a few Dodgers in your blaster box. Better luck than I did with my box in getting Indians cards. I have pretty much decided that I am going to build the Defensive Wizards, Art of the Game, and Wanted insert sets. I did pull one of the lowest numbered cards I have ever pulled; a card numbered out of 15. Then in a rack pack today I pulled an autograph.
Matt said…
I have a review if this coming up soon this week on cards over coffee
Nick Vossbrink said…
Interesting that every card you showed has a red swoosh. I like the concept of team colors but this is showing how that fails.
Matt said…
I wasn't aware Heim was a Buffalo boy either - between this card and his 2022 Topps base, he's now got two great cards that I'm aware of!
GCA said…
I snagged two fat packs at my local Wally World. They came with three orange parallels.
Was just impressed that they haven't abandoned the card business altogether. I was debating whether to dive into these too. Don't think I will. I'll see if I have some decent ones to trade you for that Robles though...
Jafronius said…
I saw blasters on the Target website a week+ ago and decided to roll the dice to see if they'd pop up in stores. I lucked out and got a blaster (Judge on the back) and 3 rack packs. The design reminds me of that Nolan Ryan Pacific set from the early 90s. The Wanted insert set confused me because it was about robbing homers and all the guys I got were holding bats. I also noticed less players on the packages...there's only 2 pairs this time while there were 4 I think in prior years.