Skip to main content

The rest

 
OK, I have some more time now to write about the goodies that landed on my porch last Monday.
 
The Orel Hershiser auto from the previous post was one of the highlights, but it wasn't the only highlight. I received envelopes from four different people.

Besides Gavin's "thanks for reading" prize, I received another envelope from the great state of Oregon, from The Diamond King.

Upon reflection, he said he wasn't too enthusiastic over a few of his card show dime box pick ups, but I sure was.




I am an admitted mark for colored border parallels, even Panini ones, so yes I am quite happy about these cards showing Kershaw in his milkman delivery uniform. These three cards happen to be Nos. 894, 895 and 896 in my Kershaw collection. That No. 900 post is on the horizon!


A needed Jackie mini from 2019 also appeared in the envelope. Another parallel that I love more than I should.



The next Monday envelope arrived from the Card Stacks Blog, which has perked back up again with a distinct hockey card emphasis.

It's been awhile since I heard from Ryan and I appreciated his note on the Bills and their unfair loss to the Chiefs a week or so ago.

Above is my first 2022 Stadium Club Chrome card. Some of the SC Chrome card photos are different than the main SC set. Bellinger, though, is the same picture. (*update: this card is actually from the main Stadium Club set, it's the chrome parallel of Bellinger's base Stadium Club card, not the base card in Stadium Club Chrome. Got it?*)
 




A few other Dodgers needs (that Seager is the metallic snowflake kind). My app scanner enjoys making the cards as light and washed-out as possible. I have to adjust each scan, which is a pain. 




Finally, a couple of notable Bills! That must be a Donruss variation of the Josh Allen card. I'm not saying they should be in the Super Bowl next week -- they need to do something about their defense (No. 1-rated, my shoulder pads) -- but I would've liked their chances against the Bengals.

The other envelope arrived from Jeffrey of Cardboard Catastrophes, who had attended a card show recently, and there's no easing into what he sent me so let's just get on with it:


The 1972 Kellogg's set just jumped up like eight places in terms of the next Kellogg's set I'm going to try to complete!

Wow.

I figured the '72 set would be one of the last to try. Like 1966 Topps, I'm not crazy about the slash design, but Kellogg's cards are Kellogg's cards and these are all in wonderful shape. Getting one-third of the set all at once is pretty crazy, I guess Jeff found a good deal.

So, yeah, you'll see a 1972 Kellogg's want list soon.

One other card from Jeff before I go.


It's my second 1960 Morrell's Meats card in two months!

You may remember the first one, which is still sealed to its card saver and is probably never coming out of it.

This Walter Alston card is in better shape and came surprisingly cheap according to Jeff. Upon further researching, prices for these cards are all over the place, with some rather pricey and others interestingly affordable.

So that was a pretty awesome start to the week last week.

Anybody want to keep that Monday streak alive? Ha. It's probably too late for this Monday, but, man, it's going to be a week. If you see a limited amount of posts in the next seven days, you'll know why.

Comments

It's nice to have friends that know where the Kellogg's cards hide.
bryan was here said…
Wow, nice haul there with the '72 Kelloggs. I'm with you, that design doesn't do it for me, but they're Kelloggs. I may now have to adjust my watch list for these ones.

That Josh Allen card is pretty cool as well. Kind of a reminder of how the situation was back in 2020...
Brett Alan said…
I love that the sign behind Jackie on that mini card...well, it clearly doesn't actually say "MINI", but it almost looks as though it does, you know?

I've bought some Stadium Club Chrome cards from dime boxes this year, and now I realize I have no idea whether they're from the Chrome set or parallels from the regular set. I suppose it doesn't really matter to me, but when you see a card it should be clear what it is. Now I'm wondering whether it will be hard to tell the difference--that is, if I have the Chrome version released in the regular set and I find the one from the Chrome set, will I even know it's a different card?
Fuji said…
Wowza. 17 1972 Kellogg's cards in one shot? That's fantastic.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Wow. Kelloggs and Morrell Meats in one envelope? That's a hell of a mailday.
Jon said…
The photo on that Bellinger is really great, although I guess that's to be expected, what with it being a SC and all.
cardstacks said…
Didn't occur to me that the Josh Allen was a photo variation.

The star of the mail day is definitely the 72 Kellogg's. What a stack of cards.

Glad I could be a part of the mail day and thanks for the shoutout.