Skip to main content

Maybe getting the set-blog itch again

 
 

When I wrapped up my last set blog more than two years ago, I figured that would be the end for me and set blogs.

I had completed three of them at that point: 1975, 1971 and 1985. All Topps blogs. The second two, 1971 and 1985, I basically wrote at the same time and it was a bit grueling doing those and Night Owl Cards. I was worn out by May of 2019.

Also, at that point, it seemed like set blogs were long past their freshness date. Chronicling a set was the cool blog thing to do back in 2008. But as the cool kids moved on to other things, only the hard-core set-appreciators were left and there aren't many of them anymore.

Still ...

I left open the possibility of writing another one when I finished off the last two. And just a couple days ago a complimentary comment left at the end of my 1985 Topps made me wonder. "Your blogs are great," it said. "I'd love to see a '73 or '74 version."

Now, I'm not going to do something every time someone says something nice, but the thought has always been there. Specifically, I've always thought it would be cool to write a 1993 Upper Deck set blog. It's one of the few notable card sets from the 1960s to early 1990s that hasn't received the set-blog treatment, that I know of.

As for the comment suggestion, both the '73 and '74 Topps sets were part of set-blog tributes already. I wouldn't do a '74 blog because of that, even though I think that set is highly underrated.

There have been two '73 Topps set blogs but I don't think either of them were finished (I could be wrong). It seems like that set needs proper treatment, given how interesting it is.

But the '73 set is a little too close to '71 and '75, and I wrote about a lot of the players who are in the '73 set already.

So that's where I am.

I still haven't decided whether I'm going to do one again. And it certainly wouldn't be before 2022.

But if I did, which would you like to see?


1993 Upper Deck?



Or 1973 Topps?

(I know, I know, it's up to me).

Leave your preference in the comments. I'd create a poll if making polls was as easy as it was on Blogger five years ago or so. If I figure it out, I'll get one on here.
 
And if you vote, you have to promise me you'll read it sometimes.

Comments

Old Cards said…
Your blog is great! 73 Topps. I'll read it.
Adam Kaningher said…
I vote 1993 Upper Deck.
John Sharp said…
I think a 1993 blog would be interesting
, but I'll read either one.
Tim Hopseker said…
As a vintage guy most definitely 1973
sg488 said…
1993 Upper Deck,nice to see a brand other than Topps reviewed for once.
Nachos Grande said…
I'm not aware of many (any?) post 1990 set blogs so my vote would be 1993.
Bill@Bravestarr said…
I think there’s a lot of overlap with ‘73 and what you’ve done. For that reason I say ‘93 UD. I really like that set a lot. It’s one of my favorites from them and it’s also a favorite of mine to get signed. So much color and so many great images front and back.
John Bateman said…
Has anyone done 1991 or 1992 Topps 0r 1981

1973 over 1993
bryan was here said…
I love the '73 Topps set but I would be interested in reading a blog about '93 Upper Deck. Especially the expansion team guys like Scott Pose and David Nied.
Brett Alan said…
Yeah, I think the UD one makes more sense because it's players you haven't written about before.

But, hey, you could write about 1995 Fleer or some crappy recent Donruss set and I'd read it!
Both of those sets are fun filled cards, and loads of them. You can't go wrong either way. I complete the UD way back, and I am waiting on my last few 73's to arrive.
Jafronius said…
I'd check out either one, but I'd be more a fan of 93 UD.
dayf said…
1993 upper deck the best set of the 90s
Nick said…
These would both be great, but I've always wanted to see a 1993 Upper Deck set blog. I'm shocked one doesn't exist already.
bbcardz said…
Definitely '73 Topps and I would definitely read it. Completion of the '73 set is next on my radar.
defgav said…
Tough call for me. 1973 Topps is my all-time favorite set and the first vintage set I completed. But I think '93 UD is great too and would be a nice change of pace for you.
Angus said…
I think I would prefer to see the 1993 UD set as well.
Bo said…
I'd love to see either - the '73 is probably my favorite vintage set, but that era has been covered so much that '93 might feel a little fresher.
Andy L said…
I would read both as well, but '93 UD would be my first choice.
Daniel Wilson said…
Either would be great and eventually you’ll probably do both, so it’s really just a matter of which one is first. Let’s go with 1993 Upper Deck first because it’s something different.
Matt said…
I'll vote for Upper Deck. 1993 was when I took my break from collecting due to that whole graduating high school and doing the college thing...
MikeSchmidtHappens said…
I've read quite a bit by you about the quirkiness of Topps '73 and don't know nearly as much about '93 UD. I love vintage by nature, but I vote '93 UD.
acrackedbat said…
I've become closely acquainted with 93 UD the past couple years. Perhaps a 93UD blog would seal the commitment between 93 and me, forcing me to obtain the full set. You wouldn't do that to me, would you??
Nick Vossbrink said…
Upper Deck would be so much different than any other set bog out there.
Anonymous said…
1973!!!
Grant said…
'93 Upper Deck. A '73 would be fairly similar in terms of players as '71 and '75.
carlsonjok said…
I love 1974. But, since you have already ruled it out, I would vote for 1973.

If for no other reason to get your take on the Luis Alvarado card.
steelehere said…
As someone who read all three blogs as you posted them each day back when they were created, my vote is for 1973 Topps but I wouldn’t complain if you took a page from the past and did two (1973 Topps and 1993 Upper Deck) at the same time,
EddieK said…
1973 Topps would be fantastic. I also think the 1978 Topps blog was never finished.
If impressing "the cool kids" is a factor in writing a set (or any) blog, you are doing it for all the wrong reasons.

I have always posted to my blogs for ME. If others like them, or find useful information in them, so much the better.
I would vote for 1981 Topps. As far as I know, no one has done that, it has a fresh, clean design, and there's a ton of Topps Traded cards included (the first year for those, IIRC).
night owl said…
@ Jim from Downington ~

A blog like Night Owl Cards and a set blog are two different animals, at least for me. I can write on NOC with two readers and it wouldn't matter, but a set blog takes research every post. I'm not doing all that work if no one will read it.
Mark K. said…
1993 UD. The Teammates subset was pretty cool back in the day.
Jim said…
As a set blog proprietor (x 3) I get the desire to know people are reading, following and maybe learning something. I've seen a steady decline in readership and commenting over the years on my blogs, but I plug along since they still bring me happiness.

With that being said, I'd gratefully follow and read a set blog created by you for either set, but if I had to pick, I'd go with 1973. (Selfishly, I'd love if you did both.)
Nick said…
73 for sure - so many interesting photos - but i think you're leaning 93 :-)
Benjamin said…
Definitely 93 upper deck. I think you like it more and I think it would resonate more with the blog readers. Plus it's one of the great sets of the decade.