Skip to main content

My various projects


I think most card collectors -- most that I've come across anyway -- work on a variety of separate projects in their collection. I haven't come across many that collect just one thing and that's it.

I'm not sure why that is. Do we bore easily? Do all of us have ADD? Are cards so interesting that we can't possibly restrict ourselves to one way of collecting?

I'm going to go with that last one. That's what I think it is. Sure, I might spend a little less money if I confined myself a bit, but, damn, did you see how pretty that card is?!? I NEED that card! My eyes get bigger than my stomach at times.

In terms of "various projects," I think I'm somewhere in the middle. I can't have 35 different missions. I'll lose track of what I'm doing. Life is confusing enough without the hobby hassling my brain.

But I do like having multiple interests.

I received a box of cards recently from Billy, formerly of the late great West Virginia Cards blog. It targeted several of my various projects.

Let's let Billy's cards illustrate what those are:


1973 TOPPS

Billy sent a lot more than this, but I've been getting quite a bit of '73 Topps lately and am accumulating quite a few dupes (I think I have five of the Don Baylor card now). But it gets more exciting at this stage though because of the thrill of the hunt. I hunted down these three needs -- even though they came right to my door.


Did you know that Dave McNally was an Easter Seals campaign chairman? Easter Seals is one of those things I heard about a lot when I was growing up. But they're still going. Haven't seen those stickers in years though.


This is no ordinary '73 Pete Richert card.


BLANK BACK!!!!



1981 FLEER

Again, I'm getting more than my share of '81 Fleer lately, but that can be a bonanza because I get to look for errors!

I'm not really into scoping out all the errors found on card backs from the 1980s and early 1990s, but I make an exception for 1981 Fleer (and '82 Fleer). They're really the sets that got the craze started.



1975 TOPPS BUYBACKS!

(*cue heavenly music*)

Every one of these are needs. The buyback total is now 213.

I get a special kick out of buybacks that feature a stamp plastered right over the player's face. "Let's just put the stamp right here. Nobody looks at the face."



MINIS

I get the feeling that minis are moving out of favor with card companies. As much as I like minis, I'm not going to complain, as long as they leave the Allen & Ginter tobacco minis alone.



DODGERS

This is a big one. The biggest ongoing project that I have. It will likely always be ongoing.

I love that Nomo card so much. It is the banner card for my online listing of all the Hideo Nomo cards I own. And it is one of the rare exceptions to my dupes rule in that it will never go in a dupes box. I'll put it the binder next to my other one.


DODGERS THAT GO TO OTHER PROJECTS

Here is a reason for multiple projects: what are you going to do with all those dupes??

Well ... I will devote them toward my "one day I'll complete the '82 Donruss set" project, my "woefully pathetic 2015 Allen & Ginter completion project" and my "2006 Rookie Set That Made Sense" project.



FLEER, FLEER AND MORE '80s FLEER

Once again, I've received so much Fleer lately that I haven't had time to figure out what I have and what I don't. So right now, these are all needs!

The quest for 1981-88 Fleer has been a lot of fun, and that's a great reason for multiple card projects -- fun!

It's the only reason, really.

Comments

Nick Vossbrink said…
This is a good post idea for a blog bat-around too. Anyway as someone who enjoys building the project checklists it's just fun to put a project together.
Tony L. said…
At first I thought that I was not one of the multi-tasking collectors. Then I realized that I have like 50 player collections and collect two different teams in the Milwaukee Braves and the Brewers (with Ryan Braun, thank you very much) -- so, nope, I'm not any different either.
Brad's Blog said…
I have 2 main player PC's, I tried branching out but realized it wasn't working so i stick to 2. Always collecting Phillies team sets though and going back in time to the vintage sets keeps me plenty busy. And I enjoy HOF rookie cards so they are fun to hunt and try and find good deals as well.
Billy Kingsley said…
Funny, I was just thinking earlier this morning about putting together a post about all the projects I'm working on. I had not decided yet if I wanted to do it as an actual post or just update and overhaul my about me page...the most likely outcome would be both.
Nick said…
I have run into collectors who collect one thing -- and that's it. I have no idea how they get any joy out of the hobby.
BobWalkthePlank said…
West Virginia Cards Blog?! Oh man, we would be great friends.
Chris said…
"Are cards so interesting that we can't possibly restrict ourselves to one way of collecting?" YES! And believe me, I've tried being only a team collector, player collector, set collector...you get the picture. I can't even focus on one sport, or one brand, or one era. Wish I had it in me, but...nope.

Very cool Richert card. I've never seen a blank back from the pre-junk wax era.
Clearly, I'm nuts. apx. 500 PC guys (give or take a few), Braves team sets (the main collection), set builds (all of the flagships plus some more), 6 Franken-Sets, Trophy Cups, DKs, autos, relics, plus the dozen or so other mini collections.
GCA said…
Bat Around! Let's go for it!