Skip to main content

By the numbers


You know when one of those bloggers lists all of the zip codes on their outgoing packages? And you excitedly scan the list for your zip code?

Finding your own zip code is a thrill I can't describe. It's almost like finding your name on the roster on cut day.

But what if you find your zip code twice?

I wasn't prepared for that. Wasn't even a thought.

It turns out it's a little bit different feeling than seeing that zip there once. And that feeling begins with: "Uh oh."

I sat and stared at the list on Jaybarkerfan's Junk mentally determining where these cards were going to go, and how long it was going to take to file them, and what I was going to say about them. And then going through that process a second time, because my zip code was there TWICE.

I was just about to make an appointment to get my eyes checked, when I heard this banging noise out on the porch. The mailman was putting all his force into getting the packages into what had always been a perfectly good-sized mailbox until that point.

I shooed him away with my "there are CARDS in there, man" wave, and yanked out the packages. Yup, sure enough, there were two of them. Both from King Supertrader Wes.

Well, what we gonna do now, night owl? Guess we better start scanning cards -- looks at owl decoder watch -- um, now.

I had no idea how to present two jam-packed large yellow envelopes full of cards, most of which weren't ordinary in any way. But there were so many serial numbered cards in the package that, at the risk of ignoring the non-numbered cards, I thought I'd do a countdown of serial-numberedness.

Don't worry, I'll show some of the other cards at the end, too. But first, here is a by-the-numbers showcase from two envelopes, from largest number to tiniest. That should get all you sick mojohunters excited.

Here we go:


No. 3476
Out of: 4500
Gotta say something here: Any 1998 card from Mike Piazza is a sad one. By the time you pulled this card, he was a Marlin. Or a Met. I'm very close to calling the Dodgers' current World Series drought the "Curse of  the Piazza."


No. 2008
Out of: 2015
Gotta say something here: I have a lot of Joc cards.



No. 1893
Out of: 1985
Gotta say something here: I promise you I'm not throwing an ordinary 1985 Donruss card of Orel Hershiser here and claiming it's numbered.


See?

No, I have no idea why.



No. 1482
Out of: 2006
Gotta say something here: Goldies of 2006 Dodgers have been a bitch for me to find. But I'm gathering them slowly, my pretties.



No. 855
Out of: 1017
Gotta say something here: I scanned this card for the sake of this exercise -- for you -- because I hate scanning foilboard cards.


No. 715
Out of: 2007
Gotta say something here: What is Mark doing here? Signing something? Reading the scouting report? Watering the grass?



No. 504
Out of: 599
Gotta say something here: Burt Hooton likes to sign. I think this is my fifth or sixth Hooton autograph card. Still think it's kind of nasty to make a '70s Dodger legend like Happy sign 599 stickers. Guess that's my fault, because I love the card.


No. 354
Out of: 999
Gotta say something here: There is so much going off on this card that I missed the serial number the first time.


No. 341
Out of: 1962
Gotta say something here: Still mad about the 2011 MVP.



No. 337
Out of: 384
Gotta say something here: Missed the serial number on this one, too. Upper Deck and its bronze age.



No. 306
Out of: 2008
Gotta say something here: While trying to figure out what Chad Billingsley is doing now (I still don't know) I found out that he just donated money toward his old high school getting a new press box. We sportswriters like hearing that.



No. 233
Out of: 499
Gotta say something here: I have no idea why this card is numbered. The photo doesn't look familiar to me, maybe that's it. I will never figure out Bowman.


No. 177
Out of: 199
Gotta say something here: Black borders should have been the way to go, Panini.



No. 167
Out of: 200
Gotta say something here: Sick scoreboard card, dude!



No. 114
Out of: 250
Gotta say something here: Look, Zach Lee is pitching in a storm of antibacterial gel. Sure does make a pretty mini card, though.
 

No. 110
Out of: 150
Gotta say something here: Moments & Milestones is the only time in history that the words "collect them all" were not spoken encouragingly but derisively.



No. 108
Out of: 199
Gotta say something here: I don't think Rathjen has done nearly enough to receive this beautiful purple card.



No. 84
Out of: 249
Gotta say something here: That's a good-looking relic card. And good to see Ramirez is keeping his eye on the ball.


No. 76
Out of: 500
Gotta say something here: I had this card in my cart when JBF's package arrived. I love when that happens. Free cards save me money!


No. 62
Out of: 200
Gotta say something here: Really don't understand the point of making the painting smaller so you can fit in more geometric shapes.


No. 22
Out of: 99
Gotta say something here: Windle is now in the Phillies' organization. All that blue gone to waste.



No. 19
Out of: 2003
Gotta say something here: Pierce never made it out of A ball. But at least I have 10 different cards of him!


No. 15
Out of: 15
Gotta say something here: This is a very fancy card. Even the sticker is fancy. Matt Magill is with the Reds now and hasn't been in the majors since 2013, but very, very fancy.


No. 14
Out of: 1490
Gotta say something here: These logo patch cards crack me up. At least Brown eventually made the majors. I'd hate to see all that thread go to waste.

Those were all the numbered cards. But there are still cards to show, because we all know serial-numbered cards aren't everything. Here are just a few without gold-foil stamping.


Wes doesn't skimp on the relics. These are two pretty ones.



I love this card. The write-up on the back is thorough and insightful.



This must be a Tek card. Sandy on a Tek card. Doesn't seem right.



Very nice-looking cards for Bowman. Just avert your eyes from the monstrous "TM" in the background.


These are all Bowman minis. With your next superstar, Corey Seager, in the middle. The most impressive thing about this might be that I lined them up pretty straight on the scanner.


Henry Rodriguez is a sore subject. I knew the whole time he was struggling to make the Dodger lineup that the minute he left the Dodgers he would excel. You're welcome, Expos fans.


This card is actually not green, it's gold. It's also in a screw-down, but I cropped it out because I don't have time to open it (but I do have time for long posts).


Truly my favorite card of the entire package. Love these late '70s Renata Galasso cards so much. You will see a want list someday.

There was so much more. So much more that I've already scanned, too, but I've already taken up too much of your time.

This is what happens when you see your zip code listed twice.

There's still a lot of work to do.

Comments

Mike Matson said…
Henry Rodriguez was good for a few years. I remember them throwing Oh Henry! bars whenever he hit a homer..
Tony Burbs said…
I love the discord when they include a bat relic in a card featuring a pitcher - don't know why, but I do.
buckstorecards said…
You did far better with the Dodgers than I did with the Mets, although I had 12 Mets to fit on the scanner as opposed to 9.
The 1985 Hershiser is from the 2005 Donruss reprints.
BobWalkthePlank said…
I love the Rally Caps cards!