Skip to main content

The contest I forgot I won


We are all much busier than we should be. I'm not sure how we got so overwhelmed and frazzled. I have a sneaking suspicion it's because of everyone's obsession with getting bigger and better.

I like to think that even though I have been caught up in this endless loop of  "do more," thanks to the world in which I live, that I do not feel that compulsion myself. But then there is the collection, and I wonder. I admit, I like to see it get bigger and better.

Yet, how can you grow that collection when you don't have the time to devote to it? How can it get bigger when you don't even remember when you win a contest?

I received a stack of cards in the mail from Tim of I Love the Smell of Cardboard in the Morning. He sent a note with it saying that these cards were winnings from his contest and apologized for taking so long to send out the cards. He said the contest was held a year-and-a-half ago.

"OK," I thought. "I don't remember winning any contest."

Sure, it was a year-and-half ago but that hasn't stopped me in the past. When I win a contest, that information stays with me like a badge of honor that I hold on to until the goodies arrive. But I wracked my brain and I could not remember winning any goodies from Morning Cardboard Smells.

I searched and searched Tim's blog for proof that I won anything. Eventually, I did find something. I also found confirmation that I knew that I had won:


Yup, that sounds like something I'd say (Tim picked two winners, one that finished first in his randomization and one that finished last).

So now that my brain's up to speed and I feel comfortable that I have won these cards properly, let's see some very interesting items that Tim put together.


These are not your garden variety Topps base cards. I had to look up things.



Tim sent some Topps Tek cards from a couple of years ago, including that Tron-like green item of where-is-he-now Frankie Montas.



Here are a host of needed parallels from the past couple of years. The Chase Utley came from a Toys R Us, which have now vanished from the U.S. with a lot of wailing as if we're all 10 years old.



A couple of Mike Piazza inserts.

I'm sure some of you can relate to this. I am currently updating my Dodgers binders. I do this while packages continue to come in. Once I pass a certain year during my updating process, any new cards from before that year get set aside for the next update. I feel a bit sad that they must wait, but that's the system.

Once in a while, a new card gets lucky and arrives just as I'm updating that year. I happen to have just begun 1996 in my update and that Fleer Soaring Stars Piazza will get to leap into the binder with no waiting! Lucky duck.



More welcome parallels, including a couple of Kenleys, the last black-bordered Dodger I need from 2011 Heritage and the burping Chan Ho gold parallel.



Tim sent several Kershaw needs including the black parallel Stadium Club card and a Cycle-backed T206 mini. This gets me very close to a milestone number, which you will likely see announced pretty soon.

Finally, let's take a look at a couple of strange-backed cards:


Here is a card that looks like a 1966 Topps Sandy Koufax but obviously isn't. The red bar part of the design seems to be giving off some sort of glow.

Turn the card over and ...


... that is some kind of bizarre psychedelia from the '60s.

I had to look this up on ebay. It's from the 2016 Topps Tek set. I'm assuming it's an insert. Freaky.



Finally, Tim sent me what looks like a 2003 Leaf Mike Piazza Mets card.

I, obviously, don't collect the Mets, especially Mets cards of Mike Piazza, who should have never been traded by the Dodgers.

But, turn the card over ...


... and it's now a Dodger card and a Leaf card from 1993!

Weird.

I missed the "Passing Through Time" logo that appeared on the front of the card or else I'd know something was up. This is a parallel from 2003 Leaf.

I'm glad Tim didn't forget about this contest like I did or I probably would have never known about the double Leaf card Piazza, the Tek Sandy and several other cards.

For me, there's just not enough time to remember everything anymore.

Comments

The back of that Koufax card looks like something out of Star Trek... which debuted in 1966, the same year as that card design. Hmmmm....
Tim B. said…
So glad everything(finally) arrived safely. I'm thrilled that it seems I sent a lot more needs your way this time!
Nick said…
I don't know how to feel about that Koufax. Both cool and awkward at the same time.
Fuji said…
That Koufax is cool. Searched COMC and found a few, but none were under a dollar. Maybe I'll find some at the next card show sitting in a quarter bin.